What Star Trek episodes would be good to introduce to young children?

OtakuJo

Report this Dec. 31 2012, 2:16 pm

For the mums and dads out there, and everyone else. We know that Star Trek is a family show for the most part -- and many people have very fond memories of watching it as a family -- but there are definitely some episodes that would be more appropriate (and entertaining) than others to show to children. What do you think would be the best episodes to be watching with young kids, and do you think there are some that might not be appropriate? For the mums and dads, what episodes did you introduce your children to, and at what age?

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

D. Cottingham

Report this Dec. 31 2012, 8:47 pm

Definitely the Tribble episodes!

vulcan lady

Report this Jan. 04 2013, 4:11 pm

ALL OF THEM IN THE ORIGINAL SERIES!

Star Trek is rated G.  I watched it at 5 years old.

I also let my children watch them all.

wissa

Report this Jan. 04 2013, 6:25 pm

I found my kids were far more interested in tos then any of the other series when they were young.   The flashy colours and action draw them in.  The animated series is a little dated now and the stories I find rushed.  Like they were trying to fit an hour long story into a half hour.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

ChemeAnnie

Report this Jan. 05 2013, 11:56 pm

I agree with vulcan lady above, all of the original series are fine.

My youngest son, who is 6, and watched TNG, DS9, and Voyager when he was younger and didn't pay much attention, now gets frightened at some of the episodes.  So now the only Star Trek series he watches is the original.

Science Officer ChemeAnnie

Mitchz95

Report this Jan. 07 2013, 9:03 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>ST09

ST09? Really?

OtakuJo

Report this Jan. 07 2013, 10:31 pm

A few years back I had a pretty challenging time trying to explain what was going on in Fellowship of the Ring to my then five year old cousin. I can only imagine the struggle to answer questions about what is going on in STO9!

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Dagoth

Report this Jan. 09 2013, 12:04 am

It fits all ages, but every movie and series must be watched at later age to be better understood.

OtakuJo

Report this Jan. 09 2013, 10:33 pm

How about from later series -- TNG, DS9, Voyager & Enterprise?

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Nerah

Report this Jan. 09 2013, 11:58 pm

The animated series seems to hold their attention. As far as the others it depends on the individual child as to how much they get scared or how they handle other adult themes.

I just let my nine year old watch Star Trek as in the tenth movie and it was a nightmare. He wouldn't shut up the whole way through about Spock being old and young at the same time. It took him a week of me trying to explain the time warp caused by the black hole, particularly as he was adamant that nothing could possibly come out of the other side of a black hole as "everything, even atoms are squashed together. Mom your getting confused with worm holes". (Thank you Stephen Hawking documentary). He got it eventually but I'm dread the new movie!

pollard/st

Report this Mar. 20 2013, 4:31 pm

i am 14 years old, and was introduced to star trek at around 9, and it is best to introduce children to a movie, not a particular episode, at 5 or 6,  a ds9 episode with a ship battle would be the best, and  it dosent have to be the first one, they wont remember it, just have flashy lights, moving ships, and action.