JJ on The Sequel

Beershark

Report this Dec. 12 2012, 6:30 pm

taken fron an Access Hollywood interveiw:

"Director J.J. Abrams - who doesn't exactly make small movies - said the "Star Trek" sequel is his biggest project yet.

"This movie is infinitely bigger than anything I've done before," he explained. "The challenge was making it feel real and believable and this is a huge action adventure, but nobody cares about a spaceship flying through space unless you love the characters on the ship. We had to make sure you had grounded, believable characters.""

Is he an idiot or what? Star Trek HAD well developed, grounded and believable characters, until he got ahold of them!

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

ttrek42

Report this Dec. 12 2012, 8:35 pm

Beershark, I couldn't agree more.

wissa

Report this Dec. 13 2012, 7:19 am

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Mitchz95

Report this Dec. 13 2012, 9:31 am

Quote: wissa @ Dec. 13 2012, 7:19 am

>seriously?  we are supposed to be offended now by a director saying that characters have to believable?

Dang... beat me to it!

Report this Dec. 13 2012, 2:18 pm

Quote: wissa @ Dec. 13 2012, 9:42 am

Quote: Mitchz95 @ Dec. 13 2012, 9:31 am

Quote: wissa @ Dec. 13 2012, 7:19 am

Dang... beat me to it!

you gotta be quicker

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

Somniac

Report this Dec. 13 2012, 2:23 pm

Yup.

What other people think of you is none of your business.

wissa

Report this Dec. 13 2012, 2:46 pm

Quote: Beershark @ Dec. 13 2012, 2:18 pm

Quote: wissa @ Dec. 13 2012, 9:42 am

Quote: Mitchz95 @ Dec. 13 2012, 9:31 am

Quote: wissa @ Dec. 13 2012, 7:19 am

Dang... beat me to it!

you gotta be quicker

now that's a matter of opinion isn't it?

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Mitchz95

Report this Dec. 13 2012, 2:56 pm

Quote: Beershark @ Dec. 13 2012, 2:18 pm

>You're both missing the point. If you read my ENTIRE post, you will see that I was making the point that Star Trek already had characters that were believable, grounded and well developed. He destroyed all that with his first attempt to re-invent Star Trek and NOW he's concerned with character developement. I thnk it really shows his arrogance.

He didn't destroy anything. He reinvented Trek for a new audience.

The point of the first movie was to attract fans. Considering today's audiences are more interested in sex and explosions than in good characters, I think the 09 movie came out really well.

Now that JJ's got a fanbase, he can really make this new movie worthy of the name.

wissa

Report this Dec. 13 2012, 3:06 pm

pfft.  As far as I'm concerned the only reason there has ever been to put trek on the big screen is to blow stuff out.  Do all the huge cgi stuff that you couldn't appreciate on the small screen and that isn't in a tv shows budget.  That was true when tmp came out and it's true now.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Zaltar

Report this Dec. 13 2012, 3:06 pm

"Truly, these times of ignorance GOD overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, because HE has appointed a day on which HE will judge the world in righteousness by the MAN (LORD JESUS CHRIST) whom HE has ordained. HE has given assurance of this to all by raising HIM from the dead." [Acts 17:30-31] http://www.intouch.org/god

wissa

Report this Dec. 13 2012, 3:09 pm

Quote: Zaltar @ Dec. 13 2012, 3:06 pm

>I have always been a die-hard Star Trek fan but for the first time with Star Trek 2009 I was really disappointed and so far I have been disappointed with the comments J.J. Abrams has made concerning XII and his views of Star Trek.  XII may be the first Star Trek film I don't go to see on opening day.

I know how you feel.  I was dissapointed leaving the theatre on opening night of TMP : (

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Vger23

Report this Dec. 13 2012, 8:03 pm

Guys, seriously, let's not do this all over again, ok? Let's not wallow around like a bunch of bitter contemptable nerds angsting over every single statement that JJ Abrams is going to make over the next 5 months, looking for every opportunity to pick it apart and translate it (most of the time completely out of context) into something insulting, disrespectful or blasphemous.

And, if you're going to do that, then you better be ready to say the same about Nicholas Meyer, who outright admits in several cases (From The Bridge, his own autobiography and Star Trek Movie Memories by Shatner) that he never watched Star Trek, didn't like Star Trek very much, and quite frankly didn't care what anyone thought about what it SHOULD be (including Gene or the fans) because he was going to make HIS movies.

Some of you put so much effort into being miserable that you've forgotten how to have fun and enjoy anything

It's director speak. It's generic, meaningless talk that every filmmaker needs to engage in. It's no different than a Bill Belichick press conference after a Patriots game...a bunch of useless canned stuff to feed to the media. Relax. Please.

Why people would want to get so spun up and force home-made misery on themselves is beyond me.

I honestly hope (and wish) that you folks who are SO bent out of shape about the movie franchise would just step away. Don't go see it. Don't go see it at all. Why add to your misery? You know you're going to hate every minute of it. Even if it's enjoyable...you'll FORCE yourself to hate it. Why not cut yourself some slack? Go glow-bowling instead or something.

I mean it...seriously.

OtakuJo

Report this Dec. 13 2012, 8:32 pm

Quote: wissa @ Dec. 13 2012, 2:46 pm

>really, no one is asking you to like the new movies, or even see them.  You have fun with your reruns.  Cause plenty of people are enjoying the new incarnation

Is this world really so bereft of enjoyment that we can't have fun with both?

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

wissa

Report this Dec. 13 2012, 9:20 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ Dec. 13 2012, 8:32 pm

Quote: wissa @ Dec. 13 2012, 2:46 pm

Is this world really so bereft of enjoyment that we can't have fun with both?

of course you can.  I do.  But some people seem so determined to hate that they find the most bizarre things to complain about.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image