Other Thoughts on Cumberbatch's Character

Vger23

Report this Dec. 11 2012, 9:47 am

So,

By now we've all see that Paramount released a photo of Pine, Quinto, and Cumby with an official caption indicating that Cumberbatch is playing a character named "John Harrison." So, this could be mis-direction (which I find unlikely...they didn't need to say ANYTHING...so why say something completely false) OR we need to accept the fact that he is neither Khan, nor Garth, nor Mitchell (nor any of these other far-fetched ridiculous ideas that have been speculated on).

So, I think we need to start accepting the fact that Cumberbatch's character is likely a new character who will be unique to this universe. I know everyone has been trying to rationalize it, but I just don't see him as Khan or Mitchell. Garth is still possible...but I'm not really convinced.

I think it's interesting that NOBODY has speculated on Peter Weller's identity, though. Weller may very well be the "canon villian" everyone is trying to figure out. It seems like something the Abrams team would do...get everyone spun up on Cumberbatch's character while drawing attention away from Weller's character.

Mitchz95

Report this Dec. 11 2012, 10:23 am

Blockman

Report this Dec. 11 2012, 10:39 am

I did awhile back.

copy/paste the links if they don't work and scroll down through the threads.

Vger23

Report this Dec. 11 2012, 11:02 am

Quote: Mitchz95 @ Dec. 11 2012, 10:23 am

>Peter Weller played John Frederick Paxton in ENT "Demons/Terra Prime", but I seriously doubt they'd revive his character. Weller looks a lot like Gary Seven, but I can't see him as a villain either.

>Harrison, assuming he's a new character, is apparently a human Starfleet officer with a bone to pick with the Earth. He doesn't like the Klingons either. He also has an accent.

>I still think John Harrison is a pseudonym intended to confuse people, but you're right in saying they could have just left it alone to get much the same result. So I guess what I'm saying it, I don't know what to think at this point.

I agree that they won't be using "Section 31" or any other non-TOS reference as a major plot point in this film.

The other thing I think is important to be clear on is that nowhere in the trailer is it clear WHO Cumberbatch is talking to or WHO he has a bone to pick with. We assume it's Earth, but we can't be absolutely sure.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Vger23

Report this Dec. 11 2012, 7:41 pm

An interview with Orci and Kurtzman on trekmovie.com confirmed that the characters true name is indeed John Harrison. Other reveal (spoiler - beware)....

Alice Eve plays Carol Marcus. Apparently this will be revealed in the new trailer coming out this weekend.

All that said...still no reveal on who Peter Weller is playing. Interesting.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

kiarra_ourulle

Report this Dec. 12 2012, 1:25 pm

At no point did I think he was Garth. I didn't know who Garth was initially (since I apparently hadn't seen that particular episode since being a kid and didn't recognize the name) so I looked him and the episode he's in up. After watching it... I still don't really see him being Garth. At least of all the hints and red herrings in the teaser and promo materials, nothing seemed particularly Garth-like to me. (Maybe someone else can explain where people were getting that guess?) Benedict could, however, be any of the seemingly dozens of former Starfleet captains who went crazy and made themselves ruler of a planet.

Vger23

Report this Dec. 12 2012, 3:25 pm

Quote: kiarra_ourulle @ Dec. 12 2012, 1:25 pm

>I had done by own speculations before the recent reveal, but I don't know what they are worth now, especially after the reveal that the blonde isn't Dr. Elizabeth Dehner but rather Carol Marcus.

>Also, I just found this rant on io9, and I kind of have to agree. It started off fun speculating about his identity, but now it's a bit frustrating. Either don't tell us anything (and stop teasing) or just tell us straight-out. The misleading images and quotes referencing WoK certainly didn't help. (What appeared to be Spock's and Kirk's hands on glass, Uhura crying in what was probably the Engineering room, "The needs of the many" quote being used in the 9-minute preview.)

>If John Harrison is some sort of pseudonym, maybe he is Gary Mitchell after he was abandoned in the comic, back for revenge after being stranded, like Khan but not actually Khan.

The only people perpetuating the speculation is US. They have come out and, without any room for misinterpertation, said that Cumberbatch is playing a character named John Harrison.

There's no need for speculation any longer (or the frustration that it may or may not cause). If people are choosing to speculate, that's on them and their own suspicious nature or whatever. The filmmakers and the studio have given us a name.

Period.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Vicsage

Report this Dec. 12 2012, 4:10 pm

I've figured it out again.  Weller is Garth.  Garth takes the form of John Harrison to infiltrate the Enterprise.  So there's really only one villian,  played by 2 actors.

Vger23

Report this Dec. 16 2012, 9:16 am

I think people REALLY need to stop being distracted by the thinking that this is someone we know. They're not going to take a random extra from the TV show 45 years ago and make that the primary villian in the film for example.

I think there are a few things we can infer about this character given what we know so far:

1. John Harrison is or was in Starfleet. He wears a Starfleet uniform in some scenes and the press release says it is an "enemy from within" or something to that effect.

2. John Harrison is human. I don't know about you, but I don't know many Zoldonians or whatever who are named John Harrison. It's a purposefully generic human name.

3. Somehow, Harrison has acquired powers. He (Cumberbatch) says in interviews that he has mental and physical powers. The word from the 9 minute preview is that he seems to have healing powers as well. Augment? Perhaps...but that wouldn't account for mental powers.

INTERESTING POINT: The word is most definitely that he has healing powers or something of the sort. Garth of Izar's backstory was that the powers he learned from the inhabitants of Antos were for healing. Not saying it's Garth...just think it's interesting...

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Vger23

Report this Dec. 16 2012, 9:43 am

Fascinating insight into the Harrison character and Alice Eve's take on nuCarol Marcus.