Villain in Star Trek Into Darkness

captain_glorfindel

Report this Oct. 21 2012, 3:14 pm

First post from me...

So I was wondering Cumberbatch being the villian, who do you guys think he is going to be as a villain;

I don't think it's Khan or Gary Mitchell or Mudd...could it be Colonel Green? Garth of Izar or even Kudos the Executioner?

Also the name "Into Darkness" could it be something to do with the mirror universe?

Mitchz95

Report this Oct. 22 2012, 7:46 pm

There's been a lot of speculation. Khan is one of the more likely candidates, but Mitchell's been hinted as well. The name of the movie itself could mean pretty much anything.

Beershark

Report this Oct. 24 2012, 8:35 pm

I was hoping for a non-villian driven plot, something more situational, bur since there does seem to be a villian I am now hoping for something more original than another evil genious with an axe to grind. Gary Mitchell would fit the bill nicely.

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

Vger23

Report this Oct. 25 2012, 5:47 pm

It's all but confirmed to be Lt. Cmdr Ben Finney.

Jeffe525

Report this Nov. 04 2012, 9:17 am

Who doesn't want to see Kahn come back, but I don't think Cumberbatch is necessarily the best fit for that role (no offense to his ability; I've only seen him in Sherlock and liked his performance). I wonder if Abrams if kicking himself in the ass for using up his one good Ausie (Bana) on the role of an "extremely troubled Romulan."

A Ben Finney story would be interesting. Finney would no doubt still be mentally fragile in the Abramsverse, but the changes to the timeline would require some tweaking to maintain Kirk as the object of Finney's madness.

Cumberbatch would make a good Finnegan. However, no matter how they re-establish the Kirk-Finnegan relationship, I can't really imagine Finnegan being used as the lead villain; more like a comical relief leading a subplot or funny scene.

The altered timeline would also dictate tweaking for any Kirk-Mitchell scenario. Since Kirk was never a SF instructor in Abramsverse, they would need to meet some other way; maybe as classmates. But even then, the Gary Mitchell character has only amounted to a footnote in Star Trek (only significant because he was featured in the Kirk pilot). Removing the long friendship between Kirk and Mitchell makes it less than a footnote; not really worthy of a mention in the movies.

Then again, I'm not Abrams. Plus, as a true Trekker, I submit to the realization that nothing is undoable in Star Trek.

Mitchz95

Report this Nov. 04 2012, 1:09 pm

Quote: Jeffe525 @ Nov. 04 2012, 9:17 am

>Can anyone think of some noteworthy TOS alien characters that Cumberbatch might fit into? I think he looks like a Vulcan just standing there, but all the notable TOS Vulcan's have already been spoken for (Lord and Abrams please let us forget Spocks brother, Sybok, along with everything else connected to ST 5).

How about Kahless or Green from "The Savage Curtain"?

flottanna

Report this Nov. 06 2012, 7:57 am

I was more hoping for a new Villain. One we haven't seen.

"Please Watch Our Films" Youtube.com

kayverse

Report this Dec. 16 2012, 5:38 pm

Vger23

Report this Dec. 16 2012, 7:39 pm

Quote: kayverse @ Dec. 16 2012, 5:38 pm

>I've been really confused with this, I thought it was Khan after the Japanese trailer came out and the end had a similar ending as Wrath of Khan. However, I've heard a lot about Gary Mitchell and that he was possibly the villian. (slight spoiler) Also considering the well known quote that was uttered by Spock in the 9 min. preview during the Hobbit. Into Darkness seems to have a few well known WoK scenes, but I'm not sure if this means the villian is Khan or the producers are trying to lead that way. Only time shall tell.

No need for waiting or speculation. We know the villain is a terrorist named John Harrison. It is neither Khan nor Mitchell.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Blockman

Report this Dec. 16 2012, 8:03 pm

It's such Khan, man. : )

Vger23

Report this Dec. 17 2012, 8:44 am

Quote: Blockman @ Dec. 16 2012, 8:03 pm

>It's such Khan, man. : )

I'm REALLY struggling with this one! So many interesting theories from the Khan camp...it seems hard to ignore.

The thing that really keeps me going is that NOBODY from the production has outright said that it is NOT...and I find that a little odd.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Blockman

Report this Dec. 17 2012, 6:12 pm

What if I said that for the past 2 years I'd been tapped to "anonymously contribute" to the "community relations" aspect of the project. Asked to watch and identify the most frequent and active posters and relay back the exact OPPOSITE of what they were saying. Keeping in line with "Not your Fathers Star Trek". Especially focusing on the most repeated and frequent topics, such as Khan, darkness in Star Trek, philosophy, and actor cameos. Every now and then testing the waters to see what peoples reactions were.

Think more along the lines of coming from a Transformers/Dark Knight/Pirates of the Caribbean perspective of mass movie going audiences.

So far it's turning out exactly the way I submitted it to them, the opposite of what was most frequently repeated around here by you guys! : D

Mitchz95

Report this Dec. 18 2012, 8:33 am

Yesterday, someone on the STO forums suggested that the hands on the glass might belong to Spock and Harrison. If that's correct, maybe Harrison is a relative of Spock!