Sky Diver Breaks Human Sound Barrier

dryson

Report this Oct. 14 2012, 8:49 pm

I watched this epic event live this morning on the Discovery Channel.

Most would have been like so what. He jumped from a pod at an altitude of 127,000 feet above the Earth and landed safely.

Quite an achievement.

Now such an insertion seen in Trek by Sulu, Kirk and Olsen is reality.

The next question is could such a feat be copied for use when inserting Astronaughts onto the surface of Mars?

K_tigress

Report this Oct. 16 2012, 9:01 pm

I tried to watch it but there was some kind of technical difficulties. It was scheduled for that time and you can see the title but for what ever reason the D was showing another show.

But then I saw the news reports. Pretty impressive stuff. Ha and I love the Lego tribute. Just as impressive.

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. -Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

randy kerr

Report this Oct. 17 2012, 3:58 pm

it was awesome.

VulcanKat

Report this Oct. 18 2012, 12:36 am

And I have a hard time on roller coasters.

VulcanKat

Report this Oct. 18 2012, 12:42 am

Of course, Aussi! On Mars, it depends on the atmosphere. Will a sand storm blind your vision and cause you to land in a perilous place? What if there is ET there? Will you be welcomed or dinner?

Anime Odo

Report this Oct. 18 2012, 3:57 pm

Ha! so cool. bet Odo could do it!

"I don't believe in luck, but I appreciate the sentiment." - Odo

Mitchz95

Report this Oct. 18 2012, 9:14 pm

Quote: dryson @ Oct. 14 2012, 8:49 pm

>Now such an insertion seen in Trek by Sulu, Kirk and Olsen is reality.

Haha, that's what I was thinking at the time too.

dryson

Report this Oct. 31 2012, 9:10 pm

I wonder if the future of the Federation was watching the jump from a concealled location?

Knowing how Nero came back and changed the timeline and all.

I wonder when we will see the first female high orbit jump.

The question about being blinded by the Martian storms is an interesting problem. NASA would definitely choose to conduct such a jump during times when there were not any storms.

The jump should have created a new project called Low Cost Martian Orbital Insertion.

Inserting humans the old fashioned way....kick em out of the egg and hope the shoot opens.

A bullfrog with a light in its belly is nothing more than a glutton looking to shine otherwise.

Users browsing this forum: corndogs