Could someone explain it to me

dreem24

Report this Sep. 27 2012, 5:35 am

Captain_Stewart

Report this Sep. 27 2012, 1:55 pm

First off, go get some education.  Learn to type and use some grammar.  My tax dollars paid for it...use it please.

Second, our Military tries to never leave anyone behind.  I think that is commendable.  Many othernations write off their soldiers when they are captured or caught behind enemy lines, and I think that's a travesty.  But they do it because the cost of mounting rescues, as well as the additional cost of human life makes it a losing proposition.  The fact that we do it tells me that we value life more than most of our enemies.

Consider that.

Beershark

Report this Sep. 27 2012, 7:17 pm

Quote: dreem24 @ Sep. 27 2012, 5:35 am

>I want to know what's that i mean it's all over star trek and pretty mutch every other sci-fi show since they are all /canadian/american mix...

>I remeber wathing documentary about us troops in middle east and how if a jet pilot is shot down immediately two helicopters are going to rescue him and my first reaction was actually to laugh at that i mean are they be so sure to go rescue mission if it's shot down by russia or china ... so why is this crap in all shows???

Are you aware of  just how ignorant this post makes you appear, let alone the offensive tone of it?

If you really don't get it, to the point of finding it laughable, I'm not sure anyone can explain it to you.

If that pilot had been your father, your brother or your son would you have thought it was laughable crap then? It's time to grow the f*ck up young one.

The best I can do is suggest you watch the film We Were Soldiers. Perhaps it will give you some small insight into the bond between brothers in arms.

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

JK1701

Report this Sep. 28 2012, 7:15 am

Quote: Beershark @ Sep. 27 2012, 7:17 pm

Quote: dreem24 @ Sep. 27 2012, 5:35 am

Well put, Beershark. It's called respect for life and not allowing a brother to die when you have the ability to save him. Would you want to be left to be slaughtered by the enemy in the event your helicopter or plane was shot down and you survived? Why would you fight for or have any loyalty to a military that rights you off at the first sign of trouble? What would be the point? As Beershark said, let's grow up and think of someone besides ourself for a change. Just because you are to cowardly to risk your life for someone else doesn't mean that it's stupid to do so.

Ahh, Kirk, my old friend. Do you know the Klingon proverb which tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold? It's very cold....in space.

miklamar

Report this Sep. 28 2012, 11:23 am

But, I often wonder why we risk the lives of dozens (or more) of other soldiers, to rescue one or two who had the misfortune of being shot down, crashing or being captured.

What about the famous "Mission Impossible" statement that if caught or killed, the State Department would disavow any knowledge of them?  I realize that was for intelligence/esponiage, but what about the fortunes of war?  What about courage and accepting the risks for being a hero?

What about Winston Churchill's sacrificing the people of Coventry and other cities, to keep secret the fact that they had broken the Germans' code?

I tend to think along Vulcan lines:  "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

Fleet Admiral Braxton

Report this Sep. 28 2012, 3:24 pm

Apperantly, Somebody Didn't Read Anything About The Vietnam War, Where Many Helicopter Crews Were Shot Down And Killed Trying To Rescue Downed Pilots.

Pooneil

Report this Sep. 29 2012, 12:23 am

I'm confused. This thread is about military pilots shot down in war zones, and yet I keep reading the phrase "respect for human life". I'm trying to make those two things work together, but they don't quite fit. Maybe it's just really late and I'm very tired. I guess I would have thought that the people with respect for human life wouldn't be flying over war zones and dropping bombs, but I'm sure there are numerous arguments against that idea.

I'm with Miklamar, sadly. If one pilot gets shot down behind enemy lines, that's unfortunate. But you're fighting a war, so you should know what to expect. If half a dozen more people get captured or killed trying to rescue that one pilot, that's just bad judgment.

And, even more sadly, our "respect for human life" often doesn't extend as far as the enemy.

miklamar

Report this Oct. 01 2012, 1:00 pm

Thank you, Pooneil.  To me, it's like the old argument:  "If we don't keep fighting, then those x number of men died in vain."  Then, when 500 more people die, they say, "If we don't keep fighting, then those x+500 men died in vain." And so on, as more and more people are killed, to justify or avenge the death of those first x number of casualties.  It does not make sense.

darmokattanagra

Report this Oct. 02 2012, 9:56 am

[quote]

[/quote]

That's just ProRegressive Communist/Marxist/Socialist bullsh!t.

/sarcasm

wissa

Report this Oct. 02 2012, 10:36 am

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Oct. 11 2012, 8:54 am

miklamar

Report this Oct. 16 2012, 7:14 am

This morning, it occurred to me that there are two different situations here.  In the traditional combat role, you hope to be attacking, so there should not be anyone left behind.  And, if you are forced to retreat, you would take all your wounded with you, if possible.  In bombing runs or raids (as by special forces), you could face a situation where someone could get shot down or separated from the group.  Theoretically, your commander shouldn’t send you on a mission unless he/she had an elite, highly trained volunteer force ready to rescue/evacuate anyone “left behind” on the mission.

So, perhaps the “no one gets left behind” philosophy applies more to a special situation, rather than to a more-conventional scenario.