My Mind To Your Mind. My Thoughts To Your Thoughts.

Wayneburg

Report this Sep. 16 2012, 6:49 pm

Greetings Fellow Star Trek Enthusiasts,

I'm Wayne Brandenburg and I'm an award-winning short film writer and director. I'm shooting my first indy feature film called The Tuning and I'd like you on the team. I'm a huge sci-fi fan and I always wanted the first feature I direct to be a sci-fi film. It always gives me hope in humanity's future and a sense of wonder in the possibilities before us.

The Tuning is about an engineering student who invents a mind reading machine (based partly on actual research at MIT) so he can telepathically communicate with one other person. One of his project teammates alters the machine so he can communicate with the rest of the world, but soon dominates everyone on Earth into his version of world peace. It's a sci-fi story that addresses some tough issues like: In a world where telepathy is common can you keep your thoughts private? Could telepathy be the original language in the Tower of Babel story, and how can world peace be possible if mankind has a hand in it?

I believe this is a story that any sci-fi fan would love. I was inspired by things like: The Vulcan mind meld, Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, Limitless, Inception, The Matrix, Pi, and a whole bunch more. And I've snuck in nods to Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, and the list goes on and on. I feel that no sci-fi exists without sci-fi that came before, so why not pay homage to them.

You can see our newly launched kickstarter campaign here (where I will read your mind): http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wayneburg/the-tuning-a-film-about-telepathy-gone-wrong

And you can learn about my filmmaking adventures at: filmmakingfocus.blogspot.com

I'll answer any questions you have.

Peace and Long Life,

Wayne

DATAWORFfantotallymad

Report this Sep. 16 2012, 7:55 pm

Oh man.... that moved me....

"But sorry i cant help, would be fun but i cant, sorry"

Vicsage

Report this Sep. 16 2012, 8:33 pm

Must.....give.....money.

No response must mean you all agree.

Mitchz95

Report this Sep. 17 2012, 8:33 am

What a great idea!

You have my support. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Wayneburg

Report this Sep. 17 2012, 9:30 am

Hi DATAWORFfantotallymadVicsage, and Mitchz95,

Thanks for taking a look at our project and thanks for your kind words. As you can see this story is important to me and I have to share it with others.

I know some of you cannot help out financially, but you definitely can help us in one other crucial way. We are struggling to get the word out. It would be a huge help if you do us the favor of telling a bunch of people about our little indy sci-fi flick. This really is a grassroots thing since we are no where near the filmmaking resources and professionals that can get this movie made.

Welcome to the team!

Wayne

xXData's GirlXx

Report this Sep. 17 2012, 11:34 am

That sounds really really cool. I wish I could be involved, but I'm only fourteen, and while I have a lot of acting experience, I'm not that good. Not sure any other way I could help. I'll spread the word, though.

tai nasha no karosha :)

Wayneburg

Report this Sep. 17 2012, 11:51 am

Thanks Data's Girl,

I hope you are able to pursue your dream of acting. I appreciate you telling people about our project. By telling people... you are helping me pursue my dream of filmmaking. When the time comes for you to ask the same favor of me, I shall help you as well!

Thanks,

Wayne

K0rN99

Report this Sep. 17 2012, 1:37 pm

you should watch Star Trek: Voyager 602 - "Survival Instinct". Synopsis: "Three former Borg from Seven of Nine's unimatrix track her down, hoping she can help them break free from their neural link."

Fleet Admiral Braxton

Report this Sep. 17 2012, 3:25 pm

Just Don't Mind Meld With Batman;His Mind's Not A Nice Place To Be!

Wayneburg

Report this Sep. 17 2012, 4:05 pm

K0rN99, I find your choice in Star Trek Voyager episodes to be relevant. I just watched it on your suggestion. Seven Of Nine would be the equivalent of the bad guy in our movie (however, on a smaller scale and in a more pleasing outfit).

On another note, I once had Manu Intiraymi audition for a short movie I wrote. He's the actor who played Icheb, one of the orphaned Borg children in ST:V. It was pretty cool getting a chance to talk with an alumni from the Star Trek Universe.

Fleet Admiral Braxton, All attempts to mind meld with the human known as Batman aka The Batman aka Bruce Wayne have proven to be unsuccessful and quite damaging on any party that has attempted the procedure. His mind has dark places that no being should ever explore.

heronymous

Report this Sep. 17 2012, 5:00 pm

Wayneburg

Report this Sep. 17 2012, 7:00 pm

Wayneburg

Report this Sep. 19 2012, 3:04 pm

Hey want to help me out?

I'm currently working on getting one of the top sci-fi websites to mention The Tuning. Here's how you can help. Go to io9.com and email the editor there Annalee Newitz annalee@io9.com. Tell her about our movie and give her our kickstarter link.

This would be a big boost to our fundraising if we can get mentioned there.

Wayneburg

Report this Sep. 19 2012, 3:27 pm

Quote: heronymous @ Sep. 17 2012, 5:00 pm

>Hi Wayne , Great Idea ! I guess you know about great movies like Forbidden Planet , about a world destroyed by telepathic technology . Also , check out Bryan Singer's thriller H+ Viral Web Series on Youtube , about nanotelepathic technology . And Total Recall and Looper , 2012 Movies with related themes ! All The Best !!

Forbidden Planet! I totally forgot about the telepathic tech. I'll take a look at the suggestions you made too.

heronymous

Report this Sep. 19 2012, 4:45 pm

Hi Wayne ! As a keen auteur of filmology , like most of us here , I know what it's like to be involved in fan film projects . What I mean is when the writing and preproduction is completed which can easily take a year , and you're into the production , then find out the news that someone else has done something similar . There is nothing worse !

On the movies I mentioned . Forbidden Planet was made in 1955 , and is still one of the great scifi movies , although it may seem a little primitive now . We are only catching up to it over 55 years later . I believe it was one of the motivating movies for Gene Roddenberry and his Vision .

Bryan Singer is a professional Directer , but H+ is his personal pet project that he put on Youtube , and now has been backed by Warner Brothers , and will probably go to movie .

With Fan Film , you can either go the hi-tech road or the low-tech road where characterisation overcomes the supe-tech shortfall . A couple of movies like this were , I.Q.  a comedy movie about Einstein made in 1994 and Young Einstein , another comedy made in 1988 in an alternate timeline where Einstein ended up as a Beer Engineer .

Users browsing this forum: heronymous, darmokattanagra