Happy 46th birthday, "Star Trek"!!!

Kinravip

Report this Sep. 08 2012, 9:29 am

Forty-six years ago tonight, my dad and I sat in front of the big ol' black-and-white console TV. If you're old enough, you know the one: not only did you have to GET UP to change the channel, you had to use the pliers because the knob had long since disappeared.

I took one look at Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future and never looked back. A future where intolerance and selfishness had been replaced by acceptance and cooperation appealed to a kid who was bullied daily and was part of a family that was peppered with racists.

1966: I lived in the suburbs. It would still be six years before I actually met a brown-skinned person... in person. But the respect that was shown to Uhura and Sulu and Dr. M'Benga by their crewmates helped a precocious little mutant (yours truly) see that it was my closed-minded relatives who were the ignorant ones. I was thus spared an indoctrination to a lifetime mindset of hate.

The concept of IDIC may have been a fictional construct at first, but it has become a philosophy which I have tried to live by, and has shown me more truth than any of the various religions I have studied and/or practiced. By keeping my heart and mind open to different cultures, I've had experiences with food, travel, friendship, and love that I would have otherwise missed, but will now cherish for all of my days.

So, to everyone who has EVER had anything to do with The Great Bird of the Galaxy and his legacy...

Qapla'! Peace and long life. Thank you. I love you. And happy anniversary.

Peace and long life.

SpockType

Report this Sep. 14 2012, 4:01 pm

Good creative writing this. One could also ask how you celebrated, or celebrate, the 46th anniversary. A way that I thought of, and do, is watch at least a few episodes of 'Bonanza'. It was popular at the time, and thus Star Trek's rival. Hence, Star Trek described as a wagon train to the stars.

The episode 'Day of Reckoning' had Ricardo Montalban 'Khan' as a Native American, and 'The Ape' had Leonard Nimoy.

Kinravip

Report this Sep. 14 2012, 4:27 pm

Anniversary wishes were being posted by everybody and their brother on Facebook. I composed my love letter there, then cross-posted it here and on the Star Trek Online boards.

My Trek geekiness is profound, but not obsessive. For example, while I couldn't tell you when Shatner's birthday is, I do tend to remember the 8th of September each year. The only 'celebrating' I did was to watch the TNG ep "Relics" on BBC America. That one gets me a bit misty-eyed since James Doohan died.

What brought you to "Star Trek"?

Peace and long life.

SpockType

Report this Oct. 03 2012, 1:39 pm

What brought me to Star Trek, was my family were visiting friends, in the 1970s when I was a small boy. I was looking at a boy's comics. I came across a Star Trek comic. (Gold Key issue 19, about the Haunted Asteroid. I also still have it.) It straight away intrigued me. I asked him if I could have it. He was reluctant, then I finally persuaded him. At home I read it, and started becoming a Trekker. I was confused by Kirk and Spock beaming up - never knew what that was. That comic then kind of lay in the bottom of my cupboard (closet), with me forgetting about it. Then came my second encounter. Even quite a while afterward I remembered about that comic.

At my Primary School Bazaar a few years later, there were film shows in a classroom. They were written on a page stuck on the door. One was 'Star Trek'. I wondered "Huh, what's that?" At first, I thought it was local, here in South Africa, due to the word 'trek'. That word is from here. It was the TOS episode 'The Man Trap'. I've been a Star Trek fan since then.

I wouldn't mind journeying like that through the real universe.

miklamar

Report this Oct. 04 2012, 12:38 pm

Nice thoughts.  Thank you both for sharing.

Two thoughts of my own (small thoughts from a small mind!):  Wouldn't it be great if all the world were as tolerant as Star Trek has taught us to be?  And, how quickly time has passed us by!  We need to use each precious moment wisely!

MoppyCGDaniels

Report this Oct. 05 2012, 4:29 pm

Awesome writing. I just have to agree for Gene Roddenberry's vision of a more tolerant future is what keeps his (& mine) dream alive. That's what it's all about so I wish also a happy 46th birthday Star Trek.

Users browsing this forum: Drunkin Druid, darmokattanagra