nyone else out there who watched Star Trek the FIRST time around -- 1966???

Elaan-of-Troyius

Report this Sep. 04 2012, 8:37 pm

Someone on one of the forums said, in part:

"Shatner overacted so much it's almost painful to watch now."  AND "It's hard to see Kirk disciplining anyone he was such a clown himself, and regarded orders from Starfleet Command as suggestions."

And it got me thinking.  This is a case of YOU REALLY HAD TO BE THERE!  Any other oldies out there who remember the impact?

I responded with

You have to put it in context.  Up till 1966 the only scifi stuff we'd had was Superman (1955) Twilight Zone (1959-64) & what a GREAT show. Bill Shatner was in TWO of those playing very different characters to Kirk - BECAUSE HE'S AN ACTOR.  Oh, and did I forget the Jetsons! (1962)

Then out of the blue came this amazing show that showed black, white and blue people & aliens all getting along!!!

You cannot imagine the impact it had.  The people who discovered it at the beginning would make sure they were home in time to watch it no matter what they were doing - there was no way to record anything yet.   Star Trek was the reason I forced my parents to buy a coour TV!

People at work and kids at school started talking about a world where all this was possible -- where mankind could get past it's petty squabbles.  And lots more people started watching ... and on and on until where we are today.

The cold war had not long finished and that had sparked a whole lot of movies about aliens (the commie reds!) coming to kill us and destroy us and threaten our way of life. This was only a few years after "duck and cover" when children like me in school in Australia were taught how to hop under our desks and cover our heads to survive a nuclear bomb strike.

I wish there was some way for me to explain what an AMAZING life changing impact it had on us.  Just the thought that there was other possibilities ... WE DIDN'T HAVE TO BE AFRAID.

And let's not forget the Moon landing shortly after, and that everytime a Star Trek movie or new series came out NASA'a public profile shot up and better stuff happened there!.

Gene Roddenberry was a genius and a visionary!

And don't forget this was set IN OUR IMMEDIATE FUTURE.  Jim And McCoy were just like us.  Jim was a wild card - a bad boy who had enough self control to get promotions by dint of his unusual left-brain solutions.  (Incidentally, no one had ever heard the term left brain back then!)

I very much enjoyed the latest star trek movie. I thought he caught the character of a young Jim very well.

As to Bill Shatner, the actor, he is 81 years old and working full time on any project that takes his fancy.  Some of them are great and some of them are less - in my opinion!  Others might disagree.  But at 81 after working in the industry for 70 years you've got to admire his passion and staying power!  He;s paid his dues and I will watch anything he's brave enouygh to have a go at ... because every now and then something like last year's "The Captains" comes along, and I love and admire him all over again!

"where no man has gone before" TOS -- when that meant something!~

blackbare6

Report this Sep. 05 2012, 3:03 pm

I was 10 when TOS aired. My dad was usually at work; and since at 8:00 PM it was too late for me to be out (at least on a school night), and I was the youngest, it was just my mom and me. I remember even she got exited watching some of the episodes.

Remember; there was a LOT going on in the US at the time. MLK and RFK were still around, along with the USSR (the Klingons), and Red China (the Romulans). NASA was trying to beat the Russians to the moon, but we'd never yet seen a photo of the Earth from orbit! But here was this crew; this INTERACIAL CREW, that lived and worked together in the future, that had solved all of these problems. And even tho it had the occational "monster of the week" a la the Outer limits, the stories went much deeper than that.

With the space race in full swing, the idea that the future of mankind lay in the stars was a powerfull attraction. And TOS showed that ALL of us would be going along for the ride!

I'm with you E of T. TOS was life changing. Especially for a black kid in Chicago.

WarpGirl9

Report this Sep. 05 2012, 3:14 pm

I think I caught the last season when it first aired and I was like 3 or 4 at the time.  I remember turning on the TV and turning the channel dial and suddenly seeing the Enterprise go swishing across the screen.  I was instantly hooked.

Anything I can think of to put here would most likely get me banned

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Report this Sep. 07 2012, 8:16 am

I only saw the First Season in it's original NBC run...it musta changed time slots the remaining two seasons so I missed them.  Fortunately...my first episode was 22 Sep 66 when "Where No Man Has Gone Before" aired and I got to see the remaining 25 episodes.  Glad I caught it there and not b4 as "The Man Trap" or "Charlie X" may have caused me to change the channel.

J.T.Kirk

Report this Sep. 07 2012, 7:19 pm

I also was an original TOSie. I don’t think I can be considered a ‘Trekkie’ or a ‘Trekker’ ... since I never really bought into any of the other series at all.  I only periodically revisit TOS because of that nostalgic wormhole (1) that it creates with my childhood and because it’s just darn good  entertainment!

The cast was attractive, multiracial,  they spoke well, both funny & showed emotion, and solved complex, seemingly impossible problems in one hour’s time.  I didn’t know anything about how to rate actor’s performances at the time and didn’t really care ... because after all this was less about drama and more about preparation and future reality about how things were going to be sometime in the not too distant future and from a Grade Oner’s & elementary school student’s perspective.

After all, we were smack dab in the middle of the Space Race and there was a lot of buzz , excitement and speculation about the limits of where this X year mission might go. There were even whispers of man landing on the moon, and then it really happened!

In 1966, Star Trek aired at an ideal hour for kids in Canada - on Sunday afternoons at 3pm on the CBC. Thus I believe the first airing / The Debut  was on - September 11th/1966(unconfirmed) in Canada.  The timing of it's debut couldn't have been better for a kid entering his first year of elementary school. (Incidentally, just noticed Google’s commemoration to this important date on their homepage – fantastic & don’t forget to click around the bridge and meet thy Gorn!)

Our family was the local 'gadget family' .... as my father was a traveling salesman & manufacturer's representative with lines that included more than a few electronic companies. Walkie-talkies, space spark guns & other cool items often found their way into our home & toy chest. Thus those trekkie techno props were the total package, eye candy & primary objects of my affection that I could easily identify with and which instantly bonded me with the series.

I remember well the b&w Admiral TV that roamed the upstairs hall on it's casters. Sickies got first dibs on the 'portable TV in the bedroom rights' & since the series' inaugural run coincided with the first 3 years of my schooling - I was often sick with measles, chicken pox, flu, cold or everything else that kids can pickup at school.   I can still hear the sound of those telly wheels churning towards my room – especially on snowy winter Sunday’s at or around 3pm!

Oh and that soundtrack/score.  It was extremely compelling/apt and those computerized tones/beeps/blips & flashing colored lights were so video game/space invaders – esque and about 15 years ahead of their time.

Admittedly, the stuffed bras, short skirts & double entendres flew light years over my head back back then. These would 'eventually' catch my attention in later viewings. The flying leg kicks, wrestling maneuvers and fistfights were spot on with the era and times and too cool for words for a young lad in those days.

And so it's not too difficult to understand how I might have believed that this series was invented just for the personal entertainment & pleasure of myself.  Because I really did!

Captain Kirk was that big bro that I didn’t have and Scotty was to become my inspiration in eventually obtaining my B.Sc. in Electrical Engineering.  There was always lots of chatter in school about astronauts, moon landings and the possibilities of future careers in the aerospace industry to those who studied hard and persisted with their education. SciFi books were becoming ever more prominent on school library shelves and I soon became a huge Asimov & Bradbury fanatic.

On my 7th birthday I received a nifty refractor telescope and spent more than a night or two searching for Enterprise like objects in the skies above. These were exciting times  and the experience was that much more enhanced by the cast & crew of the Starship Enterprise and their timely 3 year mission!

----

1 Oh yeah & the Vicks Vapour Rub. Because it was so synonymous with my initial 'Trek' viewing experience .... to this day should I catch a whiff of that ointment - I will get an immediate recall/flashback to a distinct, random scene from TOS. Some sort of olfactory induced neural encoding cum Star Trek neurosis  of which I have not been professionally diagnosed nor yet know the proper name/term for.    ........ Spock undoubtedly would.

Commandamanda

Report this Sep. 08 2012, 9:04 am

Wow, that a kid could turn down ST becuase the Shat "overacted?"

Ah, well, TV was different back then. I shudder at the fact that I was forced to watch "Lost In Space", because I found the acting so wooden (all except for Dr. Smith, of course, who blew me away sometimes). And Bill Mumy couldn't have been cuter...

But JTK took me away the way seeing JFK did. 'Course by the time I was born JFK had been assassinated and RFK was soon to follow. Kids,  Wiki 1963-1969 and read, read, read. Our world was scary. The Cold War, the "recent" involvements in Korea, Japan, Germany - so many enemies...and then, Vietnam rearing its ugly head...And on the home turf, Black Civil Rights, MLK, hippies, the free love movement, The Beatles...gawwww. So much to take in!

James Kirk was sort of fashioned in a Camelot sense...he was supposed to be JFK, at least the one we remembered from PT. 109. (Yes, Wiki that, too!) He took us back, gave us a feeling of security that all would be right with the world one day. Thank god for Roddenberry. I don't know what I would have done without his writing, and the writing of great authors who contributed to STOS.

You can't watch STOS without knowing the history...inagine living in a world where you didn't even have a pocket calculator yet! Sheesh...

CO_Fowler

Report this Sep. 10 2012, 11:38 am

I was 8 months old, but my mom and a big brother told me that I watched it with them.  So, while I cannot speak from memory of watching it then, I can speak from watching it later and I agree that Kirk came across as he did because of the times it was filmed in.  Taking today's views and opinions and applying them to acting/shows from 1966 (and the late 60's) is going to bring up drastic differeneces.  Just look at some of the other shows from around then, some even having been rehashed for todays TV.  One, Hawaii five-O couldn't really use the same storylines for todays H5-O because of the different times.

As for Shatner 'overacting', yeah I can see that in some episodes, but I can also see that in a few of the other actors at different times, too.

When I see a thread like this I can't help but think back to 'Trials and Tribble-ations'.  I taped that off of the sat. dish feed and got to watch the behind the scenes, too.  How the fight scenes had to be taught to the DS9 actors since back in the late 60's they used a lot of roundhouse punches and some of the current actors commented that they had to remind themselves to 'fight like back then' instead of how they did for DS9

It was a unique look into the differences of how they filmed back then and how they filmed now.

Okie, I think I'm rambling so I'll shush for now.  I hope I kind of got my POV across though

R.I.P. My sweet Casey Bug. Mommy will see you again one day :`o( 18DEC01-24SEP11 / "Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."~Scott Stratten /It's a lot like nuts and bolts-if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts! ~Nicholas Evans /IDIC-Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination/Sgt Esterhaus: Hey, let's be careful out there!/4000/ To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone

starkorn

Report this Sep. 10 2012, 10:15 pm

I saw Trek the first run according to my 2 older brothers, i was 2yrs old.

i really remember seeing it 1970.

Christopher.D.Norton.writ
er.activist

Report this Sep. 10 2012, 10:48 pm

Space Marshal

Report this Sep. 14 2012, 11:54 am

Shatner was said to be bombastic n over-the-top by G. L. Whitney refering to his portrayal of the evil Kirk n maybe this is considered overacting by some, but she also said she loved watching him portay these 2 side of Kirk n that he was very charismatic in the dual role. He was a "Shakespearean" -trained actor n no serious person would doubt his great acting ability, which was recognized even by George Takei.  And the OS was praised for its superior acting. And Kirk was not at all undisciplined.

I was 15 when it 1st aired on CTV on Tuesday, Sept. 6, '66. It was exotic, colourful, exciting, sexy, n imaginative, n it had high production values. It was better than the spin-offs because the music was out of this world (literally n figuratively), the sound effects were amazing, the designs were better,  n so were the characters n stories. And Man Trap was a superb episode n so was Where No Man... In fact most of the 1st year episodes were among the best in the series n most fans agree the 1st year was the best. But the dumping of Yeoman Rand was a big loss n 1 of the stupidest things ever done on television. She was featured in 3 episodes n was just emerging as a lead character.

I wrote a glowing fan letter to the network in '68 n received a catalog pamphlet from Lincoln Enterprises so I ordered some memorabilia. Unfortunately, there was none for Yeoman Rand.

We will not cease from exploration, And the end of our exploring Will be to arrive where we started, And know the place for the 1st time. T.S. Eliot, The Gidding

J.T.Kirk

Report this Sep. 14 2012, 1:53 pm

Quote: Space Marshal @ Sep. 14 2012, 11:54 am

>Someone said that it was on CBC on Sunday afternoon in '66. No way, Jose. It was in prime time thoughout its original run in Canada, too, n it was on CTV. It did go to CBC but it was in the '90s in reruns n it was at noon on Saturdays.

That's because it did! It may well have aired on CTV in 1966 in the major centers of Canada. Unfortunately, many of the smaller markets did not yet have a local station that transmitted the CTV signal. Here in New Brunswick CTV did not arrive until 1969.  So CBC must have had regional rights to programs that CTV could not fully honor. Here is a link to another 'first timers' tale that corroborates my account of CBC airing on Sunday afternoons in 1966 in NB:

Space Marshal

Report this Sep. 15 2012, 9:55 pm

J.T.Kirk,

Yikes! Darndest thing I ever heard. Did they do the same with other shows like Go Go '66?

Space Ghost

Report this Nov. 02 2012, 4:56 pm

I was there back in '66. Thought the show was great and have followed it (and it's spin offs) ever since.

vulcan lady

Report this Nov. 02 2012, 6:45 pm

Quote: Christopher.D.Norton.writer.activist @ Sep. 10 2012, 10:48 pm

>I wasn't alive, I'm only 41, and I thought I was one of the oldest ppl here; but I'm glad you are not I prefer the company of people close to my own age, better **** and the answer to how's your day isn't a 2-hour monologue

Just go to any Star Trek convention, and see how many people are in your age group! Every Con I've been too, the majority of men and women were ages forty and over!  And they were doctors, lawyers, nurses, teachers, businessmen, store owners, etc. etc.

Anyway, I was a little girl when Star Trek first aired, but I remember seeing Mr. Spock on TV and knowing who he was.  My Mom put Star Trek on each week.

I eventually got very hooked on Star Trek in re-runs (WPIX channel 11 in New York) in the early 70's, before the movies came out, and I saw those in the movie theatre.  I have been a devoted Trekkie ever since (go to Cons, own all the shows, movies, collectibles, etc.)

DIFTOR HEH SMUSMA!