Back to the original timeline?

matthewhh

Report this Jul. 31 2012, 5:20 pm

I would love to see them go back to the original timeline.  There are still alot of unanswered questions like what happens with the Dominion, the aftermath of the destruction of Romulus, the increasing Borg threat, the shacky relations with the Klingons, ect.  I know alot of this has been covered in books and Star Trek Online.

I think it would be cool if the new Kirk and crew went back to the original timeline and stopped the destruction of Romulus, when Nemesis ended it seemed like there might be peace between the Romulans and the Federation.

What are your ideas?  How should they go back to the original, with the new cast?  What would they do once in the new timeline?

I for one am still mad that with one movie, JJ Abrams whiped out 40+ years of Star Trek cannon just to get new fans.  He could have accomplished this by still staying in the existing timeline,

Vger23

Report this Jul. 31 2012, 6:00 pm

Never happen.

The advent of the "new timeline" has proven to be overwhelmingly popular with most fans, general audiences, and critics alike. Since the goal is to reach as many people as possible and build an audience, this trumps any concerns that the small hardcore fanbase may have. They have created a perfect situation where they can take the franchise's most popular and recognizable characters and put them in new adventures unbound by the bloated "history" that built up around them through 45 years.

I, as a long time fan (30+ yrs) would not be in favor of going back to the old timeline just because people are obsessed with continuing Trek's bloated tapestry of canon. Actually, truth be told, I don't care what "universe" the movies or TV shows take place in, so long as the stories are good and the characters are intersting. That's what it's all about after all...and frankly, the last 10 years of stories in the "original universe" were not very entertaining.

guillermo.mejía

Report this Aug. 01 2012, 12:51 pm

Back to the original timeline?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

If you want original timeline stuff, Star Trek Online's free to play, and Star Trek novels keep coming out. There's still stories from the prime timeline being told...and with Pocket Book keeping the novels in the same sandbox so to speak, it really makes it fun to pick up new books and see what's happening.

Vger23

Report this Aug. 01 2012, 4:44 pm

I love Star Trek Online, I think it's a really fun game and I do get into it from time to time.

BUT, a good Star Trek story it is NOT. It is really the worst kind of nerdy fanwank possible. I've never seen so many crossovers, fan-nods, throwbacks, etc in my life. The entire plot of the game is like a 12 year old with severe ADD and too many copies of the "Star Trek Encyclopedia" wrote it.

God almighty, i've never seen so much crapola inanely jammed together in one plotline in my life. I'm so glad that's not the direction Star Trek has headed in for the live-action stuff.

Pooneil

Report this Aug. 01 2012, 9:25 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Aug. 01 2012, 4:44 pm

>"Let's have Mr. Sulu's grandson send you on missions! Yeah! And, like...you're at war with the Klingons and the Gorn or something, because the Orion Pirates and Species 8472 are off the hook! And let's make sure that the Borg show up every once in a while. And I have a great idea about involving Paris and Torres's chlld with the Klingons! And let's make sure that Captain McKenzie Calhoun is featured...cuz those novels were awesome!! And, like, make sure the Romulans and Cardassians are involved, because everyone loves when every single enemy in the entire Trek universe are all fighting each other! AWESOME!!!!!"

I feel like you've done a better job at satirizing fanwank in the past, Vger23. I look forward to your posts, but in this one I think you ran out of steam halfway. Bonus points, however, for throwing in Miral Paris and Captain Calhoun.

Since Vger23 has once again rendered my own opinions redundant, I'll address the OP on a different topic: If Kirk and the gang stopped the destruction of Romulus, it would create a temporal paradox and probably erase their own existence. There are Starfleet Academy classes that instruct cadets to avoid situations like that. They'd all get some severe demerits on their next report cards.

Beershark

Report this Aug. 03 2012, 2:52 am

I can picture the scene...

Kirk stands before The Almighty....

"Excuse me. What does JJ need with a timeline?"

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

AtoZ2

Report this Aug. 03 2012, 5:32 pm

Beershark

Report this Aug. 03 2012, 11:03 pm

Quote: AtoZ2 @ Aug. 03 2012, 5:32 pm

>been there done that, I like the concept of a new timeline unatatched to any hisorical hppenings...we are now free to roam the galaxy...so NO...lets not go back and say we did LOL

This is what I like about a new time line. I just believe it could have been achieved in some better way than it was.

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

Blockman

Report this Aug. 04 2012, 4:06 am

Quote:

_________________________________________

I can picture the scene...

Kirk stands before The Almighty....

"Excuse me. What does JJ need with a timeline?"

_________________________________________

JJ's an alien?

jaycee.caramsalidis

Report this Aug. 04 2012, 10:22 am

For the time being, the Abrams engineered alternate timeline is what we have.  Could it have been done better?  Yes.  But what would be worse is if there were no Trek at all.  With four years between movies, it seems like there is no Trek at all...

"Fear exists for one purpose: To be conquered" -- Kathryn Janeway

dirkgently

Report this Aug. 04 2012, 10:34 am

the old timeline was very confused. paradoxes and major continuity issues, because everyone had had a go at it. nice for it to start with a relatively clean slate, tho obviously it is still going to incorporate such issues as enterprise, generations etc... and whats going to happen to the whales?

but then, those issues and paradoxes have always been part of its charm, and open the way for lively debate on message boards like this one.

jaycee.caramsalidis

Report this Aug. 04 2012, 10:40 am

Well, the many books will keep the old timeline going in the hearts of those who miss it - I am one of them and am glad we have David Mack writing - but I admit is not the same.  I would have preferred a Voyager/DS9/TNG type of movie rather than a reboot, as it were, of the franchise.  There was PLENTY to continue exploring in the old timeline.  But it is Trek and I am glad it continues.

"Fear exists for one purpose: To be conquered" -- Kathryn Janeway

matthewhh

Report this Aug. 06 2012, 10:19 pm

I think its ironic that Enterprise, most Trek fans least favorite show, is the only show that remains canon in the new timeline

Mitchz95

Report this Aug. 30 2012, 10:10 am

I've always felt that the rich background of the prime timeline makes the Star Trek universe feel more real, and therefore more enjoyable. That said, I understand the need for a clean slate and I'm sure there will still be plenty of great stories to come.

jenniferputnam2409

Report this Sep. 08 2012, 8:16 pm

i agree that the old timeline is pretty much just the books and the new timeline is good there are some flaws with the logic and othe things and seems a little star wars to me during battles. but a new tv series with the old or the new time line i dont see really coming up. i mean its kinda of closed if we go a hundred years after voyager they would be in the delta quadrent as q said they would be in voyager and well you just half to keep going into the future it just seem illogical. new time line would be kinda of propably recasting every series but just diffrent a little like they might not meat the borg or something like that. the best they could probaly do know that would make any since would be to do like sta trek starfleet academy and follow people throught the academy or something which dosent feel like star treek to me. im just 17 and none of this could be a good argument but this is just my personal opinion

Users browsing this forum: crimsyn