A New Series

cstaber

Report this Jun. 25 2012, 10:11 pm

If you could pick one theme that runs through every series of Star Trek, I would say it's "The hope of the future". It's been so long since a series, I bet if they created a new one, but made the underlying theme a hope of the future, it would succeed. I think it should be set some time after Voyager's return. They need to come up with completely new ideas in technology - really make us reach into the future and try to take a glimmer of what's possible. If you think about a lot of the little technology on TOS - we've surpassed it.Their data pads were a few inches think. even voyager's seem a bit thicker and not as advanced as our I-Pad's now. Really collect brilliant theoritical ideas for the future and incorporate them into the new series- all while interweaving an underlying theme of hope for a brighter future. That's a recipe for the success of a new, longer than ever run serries.

Vger23

Report this Jun. 26 2012, 6:12 am

Interestingly enough, the first REAL conversation about the possibility of a new series that I would personally give any kind of credibility to appeared on Trekmovie.com within the last 24 hours:

I, as always, don't think that the setting or the technology matter. That's not what good Star Trek is about. Good Star Trek is about people and about great, fun storytelling. If I catch a series that is focused on "brilliant theoretical ideas for the future", I'm probably tuning out quick.

Characters

Stories

Fun

Everything else is icing on the cake and doesn't make or break what a new series would be.

Respectfully.

SpearMintKing

Report this Jun. 26 2012, 8:58 am

guillermo.mejía

Report this Jun. 26 2012, 1:06 pm

I'm glad Bob Orci accepts he moved Delta Vega "because he could" and he's sorry about it.

Vger23

Report this Jun. 26 2012, 7:04 pm

Quote: SpearMintKing @ Jun. 26 2012, 8:58 am

>interesting, I hope they do a real live action series set after a year of star trek nemesis but if they decide to do a animated series I hope that is set in the alternative future but prefer the live action series more. And I 100% agree with you Vger the technobable is okay as long as they stick to the classics, telling a good story. Make it so it goes back to its roots, gene's vision, TNG style.

1. Totally agree on "live action"...that's the only way to go!

2. I could care less about where and when it's set. That's not even remotely important to me. Meaningless.

3. Technobabble down. Good stories up. Agree.

4. "Gene's vision." Somewhat disagree. I think too many writers and producers tried to live up to "Gene's vision" and the results were mixed at best. Let's make good stories and characters first...and not worry about being visionary.

5. Totally disagree on "in the TNG style." We have 18 seasons of "TNG style" shows in TNG, VOY, and ENT. We don't need more of the same. That path failed for good reason. It got stale and predictable and completely bloodless after a while. Let's get something with it's own unique styles and sensibilities...not something based on the fundamentals of a show that was created in the mid 1980's.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Mitchz95

Report this Jun. 26 2012, 9:01 pm

I hope it's live action.

I don't really care too much about the setting, as long as it's in the prime universe. The Abramsprise-style ships are hideous.

I don't mind technobabble in small quantities; it makes the sci-fi setting feel more legit. I think they balanced it out well in ENT.

I do hope it sticks with the "hope for the future" theme. Very much.

Blockman

Report this Jun. 27 2012, 4:07 am

guillermo.mejía

Report this Jun. 27 2012, 7:46 am

Quote: Blockman @ Jun. 27 2012, 4:07 am

>TV show styles rarely change, or at least greatly deviate from their basic format. TOS was unique, yet unfortunately, a cancelled show. Most TV viewers and fans around here want a TNG/DS9/Voy style/universe show. I'm okay with that, as long as there's no technobabel!

It's Star Trek. There's always technobable.

It's like asking for soup without water.

SpearMintKing

Report this Jun. 27 2012, 8:48 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Jun. 26 2012, 7:04 pm

Quote: SpearMintKing @ Jun. 26 2012, 8:58 am

1. Totally agree on "live action"...that's the only way to go!

3. Technobabble down. Good stories up. Agree.

Fair enough, but still I hope it will be in the prime verse where we are familiar with, the reason I suggest that time frame so we can have old casts make apperances helping the new crew etc. Good story is the main thing the need to focus on and add a little bit of technobable here and there.  The thing about TNG it was a mixed genre, so they should definatly follow this.

Vger23

Report this Jun. 27 2012, 10:18 am

MitchZ,

I agree entirely that "hope for the future" should be a HUGE part of any new series. Don't get my comment about "Gene's vision" wrong. When I grate against that...it's more about the TNG edict of "perfect, flawless, conflictcusfaless human beings" than it is about having a positive outlook of man's place in the future.

I also agree that the design elements of the prime universe are far superior to the new universe. That said, it wouldn't matter to me either way.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Vger23

Report this Jun. 27 2012, 10:26 am

Quote: Blockman @ Jun. 27 2012, 4:07 am

I don't necessarily agree with this.

The most successful Star Trek series besides TOS was TNG...and the style and tone of that series was completely different from the original, and I believe that is part of what made it unique and attractive.

The last Star Trek movie was the most successful of the film franchise (even adjusted for inflation) and THAT movie obvously was a departure from what had become the standard style.

I think the change of styles is what makes the shows worth watching. The last show that REALLY went for it was DS9. Voyager and Enterprise, dispite their settings, basically returned to the safe haven of the TNG approach.

I think any new series would have to be a distinct departure from those styles. The decline in popularity of ENT, eventually leading to cancellation, proved that lots of people just grew bored with the format...because that wasn't a bad show when you look at it in a bubble. It was just too much of the same at that point in time.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

guillermo.mejía

Report this Jun. 27 2012, 12:36 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Jun. 27 2012, 10:26 am

>The decline in popularity of ENT, eventually leading to cancellation, proved that lots of people just grew bored with the format...because that wasn't a bad show when you look at it in a bubble. It was just too much of the same at that point in time.

Nail on the head.

Newkemall

Report this Aug. 22 2012, 5:39 am

For me (this is my personal opinion so dont shoot me down), it wasnt the "format" that put me of ENT it was the loss of momentum.

DS9 took me through a massive wirl wind of great story in a universe that was solid on the back of TNG. It was fresh and adventurus and tied in and built on the TNG universe. It was great in my opinion.

Voyager was a little stale in some respects but I personally loved it but I can understand why people didnt. However the development of the Borg was a massive saving grace in my opinion.

I remember, in 2000/1 an 18 year old hooked avid Star Trek Fan, I couldnt wait for the new series to start to push further into this new universe with a new exciting series. What would the Borg do next? How would the alpha quadrant sit after such a devistating war that rocked it to its foundations? "what next!!" Then - the news broke... A prequil... They were going back in time to a point noone cared about. All the story and build up of DS9 and the borg in Voyager and then they threw that at me. I walked away and after that the TNG movies seemed too isolated from the story arks of the star trek universe that it wasnt worth watching those either.

So, in my opinion star trek bailed at a point it had massive stories to develope in my opinion and went to some isolated point in time based on a 60s show I hadnt seen and none of my star trek TNG/VOY/DS9 friends had been interested in either.

Thats what happened for me anyway.

The new movie was fun, but again it is in isolation and i dont really have much interest in that alternate universe thing. jUST MY OPINION.

blackbare6

Report this Sep. 05 2012, 4:31 pm

Bonanza: About a family of Federation citizens on the Carrdasian frontier.

There's a whole lot more of this stuff to be had.

Pooneil

Report this Sep. 05 2012, 4:51 pm

Quote: blackbare6 @ Sep. 05 2012, 4:31 pm

>Well, here's my two cents worth. TOS was sold to the networks as the "Wagon Train To The Stars" in the 60s. TNG was a riff on TOS. DS9 was supposed to be "Gunsmoke". There were a lot of Westerns on TV at that time in the US. And since they were the models for Star Trek, why not mine the same genera?

>Bonanza: About a family of Federation citizens on the Carrdasian frontier.

>Maverick: About a group of "good-hearted grifters making their way in the   'verse.

>Have Gun, Will Travel: Various Section 31 agents, and their assignments to keep the Federation safe.

>Broken Arrow: A look at a planet (star system) that wants to stay out of the Federation.

>And of course a show about a "Bounty Hunter" tracking Federaton malifactors to the ends of the universe ;-).

>There's a whole lot more of this stuff to be had.

I like Westerns as much as anyone, but I think there's only so far this idea can go.

A "Bonanza"-style show could turn into a soap opera spiced up with repetitive action. No exploring, no space travel, no new alien races.

A "Maverick"-style show could turn into "Firefly With Phasers".

"Have Gun, Will Travel" with Section 31 could end up like any other spy series, with occasional Klingons. Ditto for the "Bounty Hunter" show.

A "Broken Arrow" show could end up as totally unrecognizable -- a science fiction show about a bunch of colonists on an alien world. For instant Trekness, just add Klingons!

So, my basic question is, what would make these shows distinctly Star Trek? What is it that defines the series and sets it apart from other science fiction franchises? If you radically alter the setting and characters in the effort to try something new and exciting, what elements would you keep so that we know it's still Star Trek?

And please don't mention Klingons or Cardassians.

Users browsing this forum: 22123magic, wissa, FleetAdmiral_BamBam