The sytem banning people automatically?

wissa

Report this Jun. 22 2012, 7:12 am

I've heard of a couple people being warned and then banned by the stystem because they were posting too fast.  This feature is not stopping the spammers of the board and is driving away otherwise good posters. I'm sure you are aware that posting is way down accross all the boards since the captcha has been introduced.  This is only going to make things worse.  And to add insult to injury it isn't keeping the spam out.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

wissa

Report this Jun. 22 2012, 7:48 am

I've heard of 3 now

The Beershark

Reedworftripparis

Mitchz95

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

ReedEnterprise

Report this Jun. 22 2012, 2:56 pm

I know of a 4th

"Reed Alert, that's not bad" Malcolm Reed

Broadstorm

Report this Jun. 22 2012, 4:34 pm

I wonder how many are going to get banned fighting with the site's other problems causing double posts.   Oh, nice, I better wait a few minutes before I actually submit this as I just posted a comment in a different discussion.  While I'm waiting, perhaps I'll ask a question to see if anyone knows.  I had a typographical error so I quickly edited it to fix the problem, and even that which does not add a post, but only fixes an existing post had me use the antispam program.  Did that count as 2 posts, and move me that much closer to getting banned?  I wonder if it is safe to submit yet...

CO_Fowler

Report this Jun. 23 2012, 5:37 pm

I haven't posted a lot since the Catchpa thing, but now I'm even less inclined to post when I have heard of other members being banned sinmply for posting.  Some have posted twice and been banned.  Some seem to have been banned for simply being present and posting while a spammer shows up and does their thing.

Admin, is this really the best you can do for this message board?  Is banning members, sorry I know you like to call us 'Users', for posting during a spam-fest really fair or honest?  Watching what is happening on this MB is sending the message that Admin and CBS really don't care about the fans.  The same fans that will spend money on DVDs of the episodes, DVDs of the movies, the knick-knacks that are offered in the store on the site and will also spend money on other things of which will go into the coffers of CBS.

I don't think most of us are asking for all the bells and whistles and everything for nothing.  But we are asking for a working site/MB and for an Admin and a Moderation team that is willing to work with the members/users.  We don't expect Admin &/or Moderators to become super buddies with us all, but we would like it if Admin &/or Moderators to at least be involved enough to see how the majority of posting is.  That way true spam could be caught early and dealt with accordingly.  Also the Admin/Moderators could see when people are really attacking someone or if a couple of memebrs are messing around with each other.  You know, like friends can pick on each other and still be friends.

Maybe I'm just being a silly blonde here, but I do still think that this message board is salvageable.  But it will take work.  It will also take Admin/Moderators opening communication with all of us members/users.  Asking us what some changes we'd like to see.  Asking us what bugs/glitches there still are.  Asking us for our opinons or making polls and giving us viable choices to make this MB the great Star Trek MB is can be!!

But Admin/Moderators will have to be willing to actually listen to the members/users and our ideas/concerns.  Instead of looking down on us or banning, sorry 'indefinatly Suspending' members/users simply for asking for a better run site/MB.  Admin/Moderators need to be willing to meet the members/users half way at least.  Who knows, a member might have a good idea that would end up solving a problem for the site/MB.  One never knows.

okay, I guess I'll get off the soapbox for now.  I'd drop my two cents into a jar, but I don't see one handy

Peace all!

R.I.P. My sweet Casey Bug. Mommy will see you again one day :`o( 18DEC01-24SEP11 / "Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."~Scott Stratten /It's a lot like nuts and bolts-if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts! ~Nicholas Evans /IDIC-Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination/Sgt Esterhaus: Hey, let's be careful out there!/4000/ To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Jun. 23 2012, 6:27 pm

Quote: wissa @ Jun. 22 2012, 7:48 am

>I've heard of 3 now

>The Beershark

>Reedworftripparis

>Mitchz95

Wow.....  And no response from the Admins?

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Jun. 23 2012, 9:22 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>I was banned too

>Support just got back to me an unbanned me. They said they didn't see any reason I was banned but if they did they would ban me indefinitely.

>I was posting during the latest spam attack because I believed we should not change our behaviour because of the actions of some fool. Perhaps I'm the fool. LOL

I'm glad they responded and brought you back.  They need to bring back the others instead of this knee-jerk response....

StarTrek.com
Administrator

GROUP: Moderators

Report this Jun. 24 2012, 5:11 pm

Please bear with us as we continue to deal with this person.

CO_Fowler

Report this Jun. 24 2012, 7:01 pm

Thanks for letting us know what is going on, Admin    It's nice to know instead of having to guess.

Glad that you gave us an update!  :: two thumbs up ::

Reedworftripparis

Report this Jun. 24 2012, 7:13 pm

Thank you for reinstating me.

"Reed Alert, that's not bad"...Malcolm Reed

wissa

Report this Jun. 24 2012, 7:17 pm

Quote: StarTrek.com Administrator @ Jun. 24 2012, 5:11 pm

>The members listed above have all been reinstated.  As ServalanFan stated, there is a process to follow if you believe the system disabled the account in error.

>While none of us prefer the new board routines, it is necessary to attempt to stop the activity of a single robo spammer whose entire focus is to disable the Star Trek boards and this site.  Our goal is to maintain a forum that is open for the enjoyment of all Star Trek fans.

>Please bear with us as we continue to deal with this person.

thanks for the update and for reinstating those members

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Mitchz95

Report this Jun. 24 2012, 8:57 pm

Woo-hoo! Thank you so much!

Reedworftripparis

Report this Jun. 24 2012, 9:40 pm

Does anyone know if Yanks was revoked because of this?

"Reed Alert, that's not bad"...Malcolm Reed

Fleet Admiral Braxton

Report this Jun. 25 2012, 3:51 pm

The Way I See It, It's A Clear Violation Of The First Amendent; And If It Keeps Happening, Somebody Is Going To Contact The FCC. Apperantly, Some People Don't Know What FREE And OPEN Internet Is.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Jun. 25 2012, 4:11 pm

Quote: Reedworftripparis @ Jun. 24 2012, 9:40 pm

>Does anyone know if Yanks was revoked because of this?

I don't see Yanks profile....