One thing GOOD about 2009 movie

Fun123fun8

Report this Jun. 17 2012, 7:56 am

I know once you see this topic your going to bash about how it's not as good and i agree. But can you name some good parts.

want a hug

wissa

Report this Jun. 17 2012, 8:10 am

the opening scenes were the most powerful trek I have ever seen

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

DammitJim6200

Report this Jun. 17 2012, 4:40 pm

Sorry there is nothing good about Abrams Trek, it's like watching a LONG Saturday Night Live Sketch.

eutychus

Report this Jun. 17 2012, 6:32 pm

The way the new versions of established characters all felt like the original versions to a reasonable degree, especially McCoy.

Cpt_krk_wna-b

Report this Jun. 17 2012, 6:53 pm

One good thing...it started at the same time the movie started and ended when the movie ended. What a coincodence.

Annie Lennox traveled the seven seas. I, on the other hand, have traveled all 139 seas.

Mitchz95

Report this Jun. 17 2012, 8:52 pm

The opening sequence was great; the music was awesome; Vulcan looked nice (until it imploded ), and McCoy was still McCoy.

Caesar753

Report this Jun. 20 2012, 7:52 pm

Quote: Mitchz95 @ Jun. 17 2012, 8:52 pm

>The movie helped the franchise recover from the hits it suffered from Nemesis' failure and ENT's (premature) cancellation. And it made Trek cool again.

Whether you like the 2009 movie or not (I do, but it's not without its faults), this is undeniably true.

AtoZ2

Report this Jun. 21 2012, 5:54 am

chr33355

Report this Jun. 21 2012, 1:41 pm

IT WAS FULL OF ACTION AND EXPLOSTIONS

wissa

Report this Jun. 21 2012, 8:20 pm

Quote: AtoZ2 @ Jun. 21 2012, 5:54 am

>Best thing about it was it wasn't a TNG snooze-fest with incomprehensible story lines and technobable for dialogue.

amen to that.  It was also not a glorified episode

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

A.J.Dembroski

Report this Jun. 21 2012, 10:45 pm

Good thing about the Star Trek movie... me.

I say this because I can't be alone. I'm a fantasy geek. Love Lord of the Rings, Dragonlance, Game of Thrones, etc. Never was really into Sci-Fi.

I would say the film's timing had more to do with it than anything. Mass Effect had made me ready for sci-fi I guess, but Star Trek '09 made me interested in ways past incarnations never did.

In the past, I'd unfortunately only been able to catch some of the more heavy-handed alligorical/politically motivated episodes from TOS and TNG. Basically, think of the first season of TNG.

So, because of the film, I've gone back to see more, and I'm finding myself more and more interested. I've watched seasons of TNG, Enterprise, and DN9 at this point, and I'm hooked. Star Trek has never had an accessable starting point, and now it does.

The real quested isn't whether this film is really "Star Trek", but whether the follow ups will be. Abrams succeeded in creating a new generation of fans. Can he now add the kind of depth that will keep them around? He will have to balance the action-oriented approach of the first film with a more deliberate, introspective approach in future films. I think Chris Pine will be the key, as I'm not entirely convinced he can pull off the Warrior-Scholar aspect of Kirk that the original cast so desperately needs. TNG needed the mix of Picard, Riker, Troi, and Data to fill the roles that Kirk and Spock filled in TOS... I'm not sure I see Pine as being able to fill those shoes. He does the Rugged Individualist Kirk just fine... can he be the philosopher as well?

wissa

Report this Jun. 22 2012, 6:44 am

lots of people have the same story.  Saw the movie and wanted more trek.

welcome to st.com

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

danwillig

Report this Jun. 22 2012, 8:25 am

I loved the new movie and can't wait until the next one comes out!

WkdYngMan

Report this Jun. 22 2012, 6:09 pm

It's a good movie.  Enjoyable, exciting.  More than we can say about Trek for a long time.

ReedEnterprise

Report this Jun. 22 2012, 6:57 pm

Personally I enjoyed the movie. The whole thing. I accepted it for what it was.

"Reed Alert, that's not bad" Malcolm Reed