Using STO to create a Trek fan-film

Gawain_VIII

Report this Jun. 14 2012, 6:37 am

I was creating a video the other day, recording a walk-through of a new Foundry mission I'm developing, in order to get some feedback from my Fleet members before I publish the mission.

Shortly after that, I watched an episode of Star Trek: Hidden Frontier.  That got me to thinking...

With the popularity of James Cawley's New Voyages/Phase II and Rob Cave's Hidden Frontier and it's spinoffs (Helena Chronicles & Odyssey) and a handful of other fan films... Why not make one myself?

I certainly don't have the budget for anying even remotely close to New Voyages. All my Trek-obsessed friends are spread about the globe, so I couldn't get them in the same place for a green-screen either.

But what I do have is STO and the Foundry, and a few free/open-source screen-capture video programs. I can create custom sets & special effects in teh foundry. Organize everything the way I want, "film" the action with the help of my friends and their toons... record voice-acting on Skype or Vent... and use MovieMaker to edit/splice/synch the audio and video together...

I talked to my other Fleet members, they're all excited. We've got a compeition going on for the person that comes up with the best series concept.

Would anyone with some experience like to help? Even without experience, if you have some spare time and the willingness to learn... with a little bit of organization and teamwork, I think we could pull this off.

So, who's with me?!?

ROBERT CHARLES GRAHAM, Vice Admiral
U.S.S Gawain NCC-91980
Commanding Officer, Frontier Fleet
sto-frontier-fleet.proboards.com

Cpt_krk_wna-b

Report this Jun. 17 2012, 7:23 pm

I think that's pretty cool, actually!

Annie Lennox traveled the seven seas. I, on the other hand, have traveled all 139 seas.

Gawain_VIII

Report this Jun. 18 2012, 11:26 am

Here is our Proof-of-Concept test video.  The name "Frontier" was used as a place-saver. At the time a name had not yet been decided upon.  Since then, we've settled on "Infinite Horizons"

In Progress: Writing draft script, sorting out a preliminary production schedule.

Next step: Casting for the pilot episode.

You can also learn more (and volunteer to help, if you're so inclined) on our fleet's forum. Link in my signature.

ROBERT CHARLES GRAHAM, Vice Admiral
U.S.S Gawain NCC-91980
Commanding Officer, Frontier Fleet
sto-frontier-fleet.proboards.com

guillermo.mejía

Report this Jun. 27 2012, 8:08 am

I went ahead and looked into your proyect, both the videos posted on youtube and your site. It looks promising.

Had I more time to contribute I'd love to, but as it stands, I don't see how I could contribute in any way other than ideas or story suggestions and such.

Gawain_VIII

Report this Jun. 27 2012, 1:37 pm

Things are coming along and I'm learning a hell of alot along the way... here is our first teaser/trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAJmzgvm1fQ&feature=plcp, and the opening credits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ifK4kgQGAI&feature=plcp.

Comments, feedback, and constructive criticism are greatly appreciated!

ROBERT CHARLES GRAHAM, Vice Admiral
U.S.S Gawain NCC-91980
Commanding Officer, Frontier Fleet
sto-frontier-fleet.proboards.com

guillermo.mejía

Report this Jun. 28 2012, 7:55 am

Saw them both. Pretty useful to help you figure out things such as camara movements and framing.

Gawain_VIII

Report this Jun. 28 2012, 2:08 pm

The pilot episode for Infinite Horizons will be a Prime Directive/morality question tentatively titled "The Crusoe Effect" loosely based on Decipher's Star Trek RPG adventure of the same name.

If everything goes according to schedule, it should be ready for release in about a month.

Following the pilot, the current plan is to generally follow the STO timeline, as depicted in the "Featured Episode" missions--starting with the borg attack on Vega Colony (STO's tutorial mission).  We're going to be doing more than just copying Cryptic's story, though, as we'll be adding our own creativity into the mix as well... some interpersonal drama, a couple of tweaks here and there.  Some missions will probably be drasically altered or ignored completely, depending on how things go between now and the level/amount of involvement we get with the project.

ROBERT CHARLES GRAHAM, Vice Admiral
U.S.S Gawain NCC-91980
Commanding Officer, Frontier Fleet
sto-frontier-fleet.proboards.com

guillermo.mejía

Report this Jul. 03 2012, 12:13 pm

I'm all for that, and I think it's a great concept to follow Cryptic's original story. That way you can focus on fleshing out your own stories and characters without conrcerning yourself of also having to give background on the large scale stuff.

More than anything I'm looking forward to your interpretation of the Tutorial Mission. It's good on it's own so it'll be interesting to see what you add to it.

Trek 2.0

Report this Jul. 05 2012, 7:56 pm

I think it would be cool because the Orions play a bigger part. The story about the clony where everyone meets, but then it explodes, makes a good piece into the puzzle of the war with the Klingons, plus the Undines, the Borg, and many other people. We should add in some of the people from the series. I believe one mission included Q. Spock did the narration, so he should have a big part in it. Those are just a few ideas.

dryson

Report this Sep. 21 2012, 6:41 am

Awesome idea.

If you are looking for a way to create the illusion of crew members walking through corridors on your ship try this.

Find yourself an old treadmill that works.

Take the hand rails and everything off so that the treadmill itself cannot be seen.

Set your treadmill to a speed that mimics walking but does not throw your actors off of the tread, very funny.

Next find an old Super 8 movie screen and a digital projector that will project the images of the corridor moving in the same direction of your actors.

Make certain that a walk off deck is built so that when your actors come to the end of the frame the transition from using the treadmill will be seamless.

Old 5" t.v. monitors make for excellent ship controls.

You can hook a dvd player upto them and use stock footage from movies and t.v. shows as special effects.

If you are looking for graphics designs and overlays check out a program called GIMP. Its free and is just as good as PhotoShop.

For GIMP brush plugins check out Deviant Arts website.

There are ALOT of different brushes that you can use to create star backdrops and other tech prints.

If you are wanting to show 3D models in your movie and do not want to learn alot try Gmax. Its free and the tutorial will have you creating 3d ships in no time.

A bullfrog with a light in its belly is nothing more than a glutton looking to shine otherwise.