whats with the captichas on the comments?

Fun123fun8

Report this Jun. 02 2012, 11:32 am

Why are there all of a sudden these under my replys? I know this happens with pictures but why replys?I think it gets annoying after awhile so why? am I the only one who sees this?reCAPTCHA challenge image

want a hug

CO_Fowler

Report this Jun. 02 2012, 12:24 pm

Everyone sees the Catchpas.  It's supposed to 'fix' the spammers, but some people might decide that they are too much of a headache to have to post them every single time they reply or post a new topic.

Of course there are a few users that might see it as a way for them to get ultimate control of ST.com

It's too bad that Admin threw this at us while still not addressing the current bugs/glitches still affecting the site.  :: shrugs ::

R.I.P. My sweet Casey Bug. Mommy will see you again one day :`o( 18DEC01-24SEP11 / "Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."~Scott Stratten /It's a lot like nuts and bolts-if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts! ~Nicholas Evans /IDIC-Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination/Sgt Esterhaus: Hey, let's be careful out there!/4000/ To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone

Data's Girl

Report this Jun. 02 2012, 4:36 pm

Do people see them when putting a comment on someone's profile? Because I don't. Is it just a forum thing?

tai nasha no karosha :)

RStar17

Report this Jun. 02 2012, 5:13 pm

BrotherofShran01

Report this Jun. 02 2012, 5:35 pm

I can appreciate the security measure, but this is going to hurt the membership. I will not go into what the new members might think. New members will probably leave because this is too much of a hassel.

OtakuJo

Report this Jun. 02 2012, 10:53 pm

Dear Admin:

I have left this site for a few days to save on downloads. I come back to find these captcha things with every post. I understand the need to prevent spamming, but these are extremely annoying. As a long time poster, I might seriously consider renouncing my membership on this site if it stays for much longer. There has to be another solution: For example, many sites have these on log-in only, and not for every post. The way things stand now, it's utterly ridiculous and untenable. Please remove them.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

RStar17

Report this Jun. 03 2012, 2:10 am

Youtube makes you enter the caption if you make several posts within a certain time period. Couple this along with entering them when creating a topic, and this would seem to be a reasonable measure. It would prevent the spamming along with not hasseling the membership so much,

Mitchz95

Report this Jun. 03 2012, 12:05 pm

Quote: RStar17 @ Jun. 02 2012, 5:13 pm

>The only real annoying thing is the caption thing won't show up if you use the quote feature and thus you can't post.

No, you still can. (see? I just did it!)

Once you click "Submit", it takes you to the top of the thread, but if you scroll to the bottom your post is still there with a Captcha. Work from there.

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Jun. 03 2012, 12:53 pm

Ditto OtakuJo and RStar17

Fleet Admiral Braxton

Report this Jun. 03 2012, 3:55 pm

GET RID OF THE DAMN THINGS!!

Mitchz95

Report this Jun. 05 2012, 8:20 pm

reCAPTCHA challenge image

^ WHAT THE HECK DOES THAT SAY???

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Jun. 05 2012, 9:51 pm

Quote: Mitchz95 @ Jun. 05 2012, 8:20 pm

>^ WHAT THE HECK DOES THAT SAY???

You can ignore the one with the special characters and just enter in the one with only letters.

CloudMinder2

Report this Jun. 13 2012, 9:16 am

i just put a poll up in 'general star trek discussions' - sorry should have put it here, but forgot about this section

"There are always alternatives" Spock

Cpt_krk_wna-b

Report this Jun. 18 2012, 11:18 am

Quote: RStar17 @ Jun. 02 2012, 5:13 pm

I know!

20 bucks says I'm gonna have to try submitting 2 because of that.

Annie Lennox traveled the seven seas. I, on the other hand, have traveled all 139 seas.

Cpt_krk_wna-b

Report this Jun. 18 2012, 11:20 am

Yep, I was right.

Anyway, it's starting to get really annoying.