A New(and Annoying) Feature

juliansgirl7

Report this May. 31 2012, 10:47 am

"Your quality will be known among your enemies before ever you meet them, my friend"-Alexander Siddig in Kingdom of Heaven

konarciq

Report this May. 31 2012, 11:04 am

Well, you see those at a lot of boards nowadays. I'm not sure how it helps to prevent spamming, but that's probably my lack of technical insight. Unless we have trouble with computers who spam without people steering them? I hadn't noticed that so far.

shika_narks

Report this May. 31 2012, 11:13 am

its a reality check for some that posting on a site is a privilegenot not a right"

its to bad but its really something that people should get use to

I commend the new guy or girl for doing their job

and you can tell that their is someone new incharge...

Im a boy..

CO_Fowler

Report this May. 31 2012, 2:28 pm

Not sure if they are actually trying to fix the site or just tossing out some 'quick-fixes' in the hopes of finding something that might work.

Since the Captcha stuff I've found that when I try to quote someone I end up on Google.com in an unrelated page, too.  Frustrating does not begin to cover that  :: sigh ::

R.I.P. My sweet Casey Bug. Mommy will see you again one day :`o( 18DEC01-24SEP11 / "Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."~Scott Stratten /It's a lot like nuts and bolts-if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts! ~Nicholas Evans /IDIC-Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination/Sgt Esterhaus: Hey, let's be careful out there!/4000/ To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this May. 31 2012, 3:46 pm

Would you like a shmoke und a pancake? You know, a flapjack und a shigarette? No? Shigar und a waffle? No? Pipe und a crepe? No? Bong und a blintz? No?

Well, then there ish no pleashing you.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this May. 31 2012, 3:55 pm

Quote: juliansgirl7 @ May. 31 2012, 10:47 am

>Why did the admins add this new feature? Aren't we already logged in.  The Admins should have spent their time fixing the "Jump to another forum" feature instead of adding this nuisance

I think they're just trying to slow down the spammers from doing thousands of entries on hundreds of threads over a few minutes.  Hopefully they'll pull it back a little, but it does help slow down spammers (although we had one earlier today.)

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this May. 31 2012, 3:57 pm

Quote: konarciq @ May. 31 2012, 11:04 am

>May I put in a request to admin however to make the images more legible? It's already happened several times in these 10 minutes I've been here today that I really couldn't make anything of those nonsense words because the letters were all munched up together.
I think the're using the Captcha service, so I seriously doubt they can modify that aspect.

RStar17

Report this May. 31 2012, 8:13 pm

You can just hit the refresh button on the caption thing until you get one you can read.

It beats a spam bot all but shutting down the board because it's posting so much crap so fast.

wissa

Report this May. 31 2012, 9:32 pm

I'm finding them easier to read with practice

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

RStar17

Report this May. 31 2012, 10:42 pm

I really think my previous suggestion on another thread of allowing one created topic and five posts an hour would have solved the problem. Still, it's nice that the admin staff is combating the spammer problem.

Maybe combine the two? If you're posting a lot, then toggle the caption thing. Youtube does this for example. Requiring the caption when you create a topic is reasonable too.

edward.anderson

Report this May. 31 2012, 10:43 pm

Ed

wissa

Report this May. 31 2012, 10:51 pm

Quote: edward.anderson @ May. 31 2012, 10:43 pm

>Yeah I just found out tonight, I haven't been on here in a couple of weeks. I think the whole security words thing is stupid and useless. But it's what we have to deal with but I might not be around as much because of it. I think it's very annoying. I also have problems reading the words sometimes.

if you havn't been here I guess you missed the 40 pages of solid spam over the weekend

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

juliansgirl7

Report this Jun. 01 2012, 6:47 am

juliansgirl7

Report this Jun. 01 2012, 7:07 am

Quote: juliansgirl7 @ Jun. 01 2012, 6:47 am

>Even if you get the word wrong, it still accept your post-but you have to at least put something down or it will just go to the top of the thread and leave out your post

It's a good thing you don't have to be accurate with the security words.

On my last post, one of the words was in Hebrew!

My keyboard doesn't have Hebrew letters!

K_tigress

Report this Jun. 01 2012, 9:00 pm

I’m kind of hoping that this is a temporary fix. But yeah I think that older well established posters should not have to do the captcha thing especially those with no violations of being a bully est.
But then it is easer to just do a one size fits all solution.

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. -Douglas Adams (1952-2001)