Watching TOS for the first time

RomulanValdore

Report this May. 29 2012, 2:33 am

I've seen all the movies and all the other series(every episode)

RStar17

Report this May. 29 2012, 5:20 am

I feel you on that one. TOS does seem slow after watching the newer series. There are some jems in it though, and you can just laugh at the cheesy special effects in comparison to today.

Balance of Terror, City on the Edge of Forever, The Trouble With Tribbles are just a few of the greats.

J.T.Kirk

Report this May. 30 2012, 8:29 pm

I'm just the opposite. I've tried to get into the other series, but can't. Yes, the TOS buget was low, the planet warehouse stages at times cheesy, the lighting poor ... however the characters are strong, contrasting & unlike  the rest of the series - actually showed some emotion like real people in serious, life threatening situations tend to do.

They were often bordering on the edge & exuded heaps of anxiety - that was really infectious & a much needed aspect for an hour's deep space adventure. Additionally, the sound effects & music/score are extremely complimentary, compelling, & addictive - very much like an early video game in certain respects.

The characters on TNG in comparision are so monotone, boring, calm, cool & collected - that it's hard to get exited or even a decent pulse going during the entire hour. There's virtually no humor, way too much soap operaish philosophical chitchat & way too little physical action. Picard comes across more like a boy's school headmaster rather than a starship captain.

WolfyBlake

Report this Jun. 26 2012, 9:36 pm

Star Trek TOS was the first Star Trek series that I actually watched. I'm pretty sure the first episode i watched was Miri.

I tried to get into the other series', but the only one apart from TOS I can get into was DS9

Dammit, I'm Doctor not a Signature Maker

jeanluckirk737

Report this Jul. 01 2012, 5:48 am

Quote: WolfyBlake @ Jun. 26 2012, 9:36 pm

> I'm pretty sure the first episode i watched was Miri.

Sadly the first one I watched was the atrocious Spock's brain.Horrible episode.

"Who am I to argue with the captain of the Enterprise?"- Kirk to Picard. 2371.

Reedworftripparis

Report this Jul. 03 2012, 10:03 am

Quote: RomulanValdore @ May. 29 2012, 2:33 am

>I've seen all the movies and all the other series(every episode)

>I have never seen TOS, so im starting it now. I definitely struggle with how old the show is compared to the current ones, but i will slowly grind my way through it.

Yes the technology can't compare to what we have now. But just look at the stories and characters. They shine through the most.

You will enjoy the ride. And I am envious of you as you embark on this journey

"Reed Alert, that's not bad"...Malcolm Reed

Facinated

Report this Jul. 06 2012, 3:20 pm

I'm finding it so hard to actualy FIND some videos of TOS nowadays as even on this website I can't accses the vids because I'm in the "wrong geographical region" basically meaning I'm in England and not America... Still I get to find clips on YouTube, but it's not the same really

Spock: you can either agree with him or you can be wrong!

CaptainLee39

Report this Jul. 07 2012, 7:48 pm

I watched TNG, DS9, ENT and the first 3 seasons of VOY before now starting TOS. I've already finished the first season and I LOVE the Original Series! I alway thought DS9 and TNG were my favorites, but now I think I prefer TOS and ENT. I really fell in love with the "easygoing" style of the shows (at least the first two seasons of ENT were like that) and it's extremely refreshing after the "serious" shows like TNG and DS9 were there was no real "fun".

I'm a huge Star Trek fan from Germany! I'm currently working on my own series, so stay tuned. (I will update this signature eventually)

KatzillaM

Report this Jul. 08 2012, 5:08 pm

The first star trek I ever saw was the 2009 movie. It was the type of movie I would like, but I was skeptical about it being Star Trek. But it was the best thing that's ever happened to me. I thought, hey this is great, so I started to watch TNG, which was the only series I could find on tv. I wasn't too impressed. It bored me. But then a local channel I found was airing episodes or TOS. I fell in love. It may be a bit cheesy, but it holds a special place in my heart. Theres an... Honesty about it that I love. When I watch it, it makes me happy. I feel a connection with this series that I don't feel with TNG. Almost like watching a school play. But better.