alright, i'll bring it up, "Far Beyond the Stars"

Green Blooded Bastard

Report this May. 14 2012, 7:48 am

why was this never brought up anywhere else in the series, i'll admit, it was a little out there, but just the mind bending idea that DS9 was just the imagination of a colored writer during the 1950's. The part in "Image in the Sand" where Sisko is digging for the Orb of the Emmesary and he keeps shifting back to the man in the mental hospital really gets me.

"Well, This is a new ship, but she's got the right name. Now you remember that, you hear?" "I will, sir." "You treat her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home."

miklamar

Report this May. 14 2012, 12:53 pm

That was an interesting concept.

arcadeforest

Report this May. 14 2012, 2:40 pm

I remember reading somewhere that it was pitched to have this brought back in the series final as the final scene - giving the impression that DS9 indeed was a story in the mind of a 1950's scifi writer.  Glad they went the way they did considering how much DS9 intertwined with other shows in the ST Universe.

Vger23

Report this May. 14 2012, 6:08 pm

I thought it was a good story. Bold and provocative in the best tradition of the Original Series.

Green Blooded Bastard

Report this May. 14 2012, 6:22 pm

I kinda feel like they introduced it a little late, i mean, if it was brought up in one of the earlier seasons, and then had a couple of mentions thoughout, kinda like the mirror universe episodes did then it would be a little more accepted. I just don't really know how i feel about it. Benny ( i finally rememberd his name) was such a good representation of the kind of man Sisko was, but we never really know, was DS9 just a writers dream? I mean, obviously it was a part of Star Trek, but it forces you to look at the big picture. I can kind of see how by looking at DS9 this way is unique to the series because it is the only Trek series that follows a set story line.

Beershark

Report this May. 14 2012, 6:44 pm

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

Green Blooded Bastard

Report this May. 14 2012, 6:54 pm

It was crazy how Armin Shimmermen's character was more of a "good guy" trying to help out and Rene Auberjonois' character was more of a greedy jerk.

Cold_Breen

Report this May. 14 2012, 9:02 pm

This episode was definitely a very well conceived story that made all of us really think about 'reality' as it were. I really enjoyed seeing some of the series re-curring characters out of their makeup and out of character. I thought Marc Alaimo and Jeffrey Combs had the whole tough, city cop role down pat. Overall, one of the better episodes in the DS9 franchise.

OtakuJo

Report this May. 14 2012, 9:26 pm

Quote: Beershark @ May. 14 2012, 6:44 pm

>I think this is the best time travel story in the entire franchise. It was a bold concept and it was interesting seeing the cast members play roles far outside their usual parts.

Except that there was never any time travel in it.

I've gone into this episode in so much detail before; so won't do so again... But I will say that I don't think they're actually claiming (even in-universe) that DS9 was written by Benny Russell. The entire episode has many ambiguous metafictional elements which work really well for that episode, but would not work so well for the entire series.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this May. 15 2012, 12:21 am

Quote: OtakuJo @ May. 14 2012, 9:26 pm

Quote: Beershark @ May. 14 2012, 6:44 pm

Except that there was never any time travel in it.

........except for the time travel of the story itself.

Photobucket

Hugues

Report this May. 15 2012, 3:36 am

This episode was about discrimination: racism and sexism. Since that could not happen in Trek Universe (unless it involves other alien races) they had to put it in our era (kind off). IMO it was an excellent episode and great acting from Avery Brooks. I could really feel the pain of the black man trying to proof that he's as good or even better than a white man.

Also, the idea of the 'creative mind' was already used long time before in science fiction. The idea that when you fantasise about something, creating a different world in your mind you actually are creating it in another dimension. For you it's reality, but somebody else 'invented' you in another universe.

Note: My creator must be pretty boring.....

DS9 RULES!!!!!

randy kerr

Report this May. 15 2012, 4:08 pm

it was most awesome story.

Anime Odo

Report this May. 15 2012, 4:09 pm

LOL!!!!! "they want to know what we look like." -Odo?

"I don't believe in luck, but I appreciate the sentiment." - Odo

OtakuJo

Report this May. 16 2012, 6:46 am

Quote: stovokor2000-A @ May. 15 2012, 12:21 am

Quote: OtakuJo @ May. 14 2012, 9:26 pm

Quote: Beershark @ May. 14 2012, 6:44 pm

Except that there was never any time travel in it.

........except for the time travel of the story itself.

What time travel of the story do you mean?? I don't quite follow. It was period, sure -- but all a vision from the Prophets. No-one time-travelled in the episode.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Green Blooded Bastard

Report this May. 16 2012, 9:00 am

There is no time travel in that episode, if you want to get technical and say that it WAS a different time period then I can give you that, but when I think of time travel in Trek terms I think more of The Voyage Home, or TOS's City On the Edge or Forever.

Users browsing this forum: darmokattanagra, Commander_Zelkar, Commander_Zelkar