Star Trek XI

cochrane2063

Report this May. 13 2012, 9:51 pm

DammitJim6200

Report this May. 13 2012, 10:37 pm

Quote: cochrane2063 @ May. 13 2012, 9:51 pm

>I just saw Star Trek (2009) for the first time, and I can't understand why people like it. Sure, its better (in my opinion) than TMP or TSFS, but those aren't exactly high standards (for me). I thought the science (even for Trek) was garbage, that the Enterprise was hideous inside and out (especially engineering), and that the plot had more holes than the fabric of spacetime after red matter (THAT'S THE BEST NAME THEY COULD COME UP WITH???) is released. Am I insane, or am I right?

NO..You're not insane, my friend, in fact you're quite clever to point out the stupidity of the movie and trust me IT IS NOT Better than TMP OR TSFS or any other Star trek film, it made loads of money because it ISEN'T Star Trek, it's a MOCKERY of Star Trek thats all it is, clearly JJ Abrams hates Star trek and it shows all it was is a bunch of immature morons one with pointy ears acting silly with no good script no good plot Bad continuity, and NO SCIENCE FICTION, so you're not alone, many of us fans hated that movie and from what I can tell so far the sequel will be worse.

OtakuJo

Report this May. 14 2012, 7:27 am

We're all batshit insane, but not for liking or disliking the JJ Abrams movie.

That said, I am personally of the opinion that it had its good points and its bad.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

DammitJim6200

Report this May. 14 2012, 8:01 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>Insane!

WHY ? whats insane, the movie ?

Mitchz95

Report this May. 14 2012, 8:04 am

Here we go again...

Was it a great Star Trek movie? Well, it didn't suck. There were numerous plot holes, the new Enterprise was hideous, and the science was a bit...iffy.

However, it's hard to deny that it reinvigorated - perhaps even saved - the Star Trek franchise. Things had been sinking ever since ENT got cancelled (for whatever stupid reason), but the 2009 movie was a big step towards getting it back to its former glory.

The best way to evidence this is to look at all the new Trek fans that are popping up everywhere - I've seen tons of them here, and elsewhere. A good 90% of them are getting hooked on the classic shows and movies, which I think is a pretty good victory.

Was the 2009 movie traditional? No. Was it successful? Yes, in more ways than one.

Treknoir

Report this May. 14 2012, 8:20 am

1. The science in every ST movie and show is garbage. Alternate realities. Slingshot around a star to travel back and forth through time. Sex with aliens. Warp speed. Katras. Mind melding. ALIENS who are humanoid and speak the Queen's english. Plucky humans able to get out of any situation with determination, tachyons, and reversing something or another.

2. I liked the look of the Enterprise but fans who care about such things swear Budgineering was equivalent to a stranger slapping's one's mother and violating one's wife. Meh.

3. Every movie has plot holes. Every ST movie has plot holes big enough to drive a fleet of trucks through.

4. ST09 succeeded where many others failed because it was light and not weighed down with canon.

5. Finally, and for the thousandth time on this board, it does not matter what YOU as an individual like. TPTB are looking at the bottom line. ST09 made a ton of money and revived the movie part of the franchise. It didn't need to be Shakespeare in Space, it just needed to fill seats, which it did. Whether or not the formula will work for the next movie, who knows?

DammitJim6200

Report this May. 14 2012, 8:29 am

Treknoir

Report this May. 14 2012, 10:28 am

Quote: DammitJim6200 @ May. 14 2012, 8:29 am

>Not all science in Star Trek is garbage, my dear..Tachyons are real..our cell phones came from TOS and it is possible to establish a warp field with the right amount of energy, matter and anti-matter combustion is possible, but some of us were  mad at how careless Abrams was, dosen't matter what we like, it matters how he much he got wrong.

DammitJim, I love you like a fat kid loves cake, but stop the madness. ST science is not real science. A tachyon is a hypothetical particle that moves faster than light. Warp or a faster than light (FTL) drive is also hypothetical. And while the design of the flip cellphone was inspired by ST, the technology was not.  ST is entertainment, it's not real. It was impossible to get anything wrong because none of it exists. Previous iterations of ST were not continuous and contradicts each other as a matter of course.

If you or the OP don't like it, fine. You don't speak for everyone or even most people, fan and non-fan alike. You can b*tch and moan about ST09 until you choke, but it's still part of the ST universe and there is nothing you can do about it.

DammitJim6200

Report this May. 14 2012, 11:14 am

We'll never have warp drive ?....

Mitchz95

Report this May. 14 2012, 12:37 pm

^ We don't have it yet. Maybe someday...

Treknoir

Report this May. 14 2012, 2:16 pm

DammitJim, if you're interested, NASA has some information on warp drives and FTL travel: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/technology/warp/warpstat.html

cochrane2063

Report this May. 14 2012, 5:31 pm

^Good article.

However, on the topic at hand, I never said I represented a majority, or even a fraction of the fanbase, I actually was wondering what the majority of the fanbase's opinion on the movie was. Perhaps I should have phrased the question better.

On the look of the Enterprise: I hate it, but who hates it THAT extremely?

On plot holes: Could you point a few out from TMP?

On the movies success: You have a point.

"We keep doing each other favors." "Isn't that how alliances are born?" Jonathan Archer and Thy'lek Shran

Treknoir

Report this May. 14 2012, 7:03 pm

Quote: cochrane2063 @ May. 14 2012, 5:31 pm

>Apologies, it's just this topic has been doen to death on ST.com. It's not enough for folks to just say they don't like it and to move on. I've even discussed my issues with the movie. But some folks will swear GR's soul has been bemirched and their happiness ruined by this one film. Good grief! Anyway, not your fault or problem.

>On the science of the movie: is anyone seriously theorizing that "Red Matter" could actually exist? I doubt it. Anyway, tachyons (or at least tachyonic fields) are actually of import to physics. ST09 actually ISN'T part of the Star Trek universe. Spock (both of them) say that very fact in the movie. Alright, maybe that's splitting hairs.

>You are correct that tachyons are of import to physics, but they are still hypothetical. An example of a tachyon (in a certain state) is the Higgs Boson, or "god" particle. As you may know, the HB is currently hypothetical, though current experiments may have yielded a glimpse of the elusive particle. Also, ST09 is an alternate universe but still part of the franchise. It doesn't eliminate what has come before, it stands alone.

>On the look of the Enterprise: I hate it, but who hates it THAT extremely?

>If you have time or care, dig through past threads on ST.com.

>On plot holes: Could you point a few out from TMP?

>Oh just the fact that the Enterprise was being refitted but was the only Federation ship in intercept range for V'Ger. Way to protect the Federation and Starfleet HQs guys! Oh yeah, earth is pretty important too.

>On the bottom line: Again, you have a point, but I doubt such a thin plot will work again.

>Maybe, maybe not. We don't know what will resonate with the general moviegoing audience, we only know what we, as an individual, like. I do agree the plot was thin enough to see through.

lostshaker

Report this May. 14 2012, 7:24 pm

^If only the government were that transparent....

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this May. 14 2012, 8:07 pm

Quote: cochrane2063 @ May. 14 2012, 5:31 pm

> ST09 actually ISN'T part of the Star Trek universe. Spock (both of them) say that very fact in the movie.

Actully, neither Spock says that defintively.

On plot holes: Could you point a few out from TMP?

Heres a big one.......

since TOS we have been told that starfleet has a good number of ships and that the HQ's of starfleet and the fedaration are on Earth.

then why is Starfleet is in the habit of keeping only one starship in the Terran system at any given time, and they could care less whether it's fully operational or not.

Photobucket