A thought about T'Pol

ElizabethTlesTucker

Report this May. 11 2012, 5:15 pm

We know that Vulcans are logical. And in the first few episodes of Enterprise T'Pol lives up to the reputation. (For instance, see "Strange new world). Even when the Enterprise enters the expanse, T'Pol remains pretty much on track as far as being logical. Yet here's the rub. I can recall three occasions when T'Pol could have left Enterprise and taken on other duties with the Vulcan High Command. First there was the end of "Broken Bow Part II." Starfleet extends Enterpise's time in space, but the expectation is that T'Pol will be, in short order, picked up by a Vulcan starship, her time on Enterprise will come to an end. Archer has other ideas and asks her to stay on. He says that if he makes a formal request to keep her on it might seem that he believes himself to weak to lead the crew, so, w/out being asked to, T'Pol offers to request to stay on. (We are not told how she phrased her request, what argument(s) she made. I'd like to know.) The second time I can remember T'Pol opting to stay with Enterprise was when the crew was ordered to deal with the Xindi. Their first stop was suppose to be Vulcan, they were going to drop T'Pol off and then go on their way. T'Pol has second thoughts and thrid thoughts about leaving Enterprise. So strong is her discontent with the idea of leaving Enterprise that she resigns her post with the High Command.

Here is my question about T'Pol's staying w/ Enterprise, would it not have been more logical to follow orders and leave Enterprise? The 2 examples I gave were times when she was under orders to leave.

Mitchz95

Report this May. 11 2012, 8:58 pm

Logic is in the eye of the beholder. In "Broken Bow", she felt that the Enterprise crew would benefit from her assistance. Plus she appeared impressed with the performance of the crew during the mission.

In "The Expanse", it's sort of the same except by now she's binded with them on a personal level.

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this May. 11 2012, 11:15 pm

Quote: ElizabethTlesTucker @ May. 11 2012, 5:15 pm

>Here is my question about T'Pol's staying w/ Enterprise, would it not have been more logical to follow orders and leave Enterprise?

why would it be more logical to follow orders?

why would it be more logical to leave?

Following orders isint alweays the right thing to do, its certinly not always the logical thing to do either.

She felt she could help Archer and his crew, and she did.It wass logical to stay.

Photobucket

ElizabethTlesTucker

Report this May. 12 2012, 5:57 am

@ stovokor2000-A Logic's a funny concept in that a statement or chain of actions can be logical and false. Being valid is not the same as being true. Hence your comment about T'Pol deciding it was right to stay with Enterprise is correct, however she may not made the choice on the basis of logic. Anyway, the question I possed highlights the reality of the St universe. For all their logic (and Vulcans were always willing to remind Earthlings of their logic) they were emotional creatures at heart.

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this May. 12 2012, 6:59 am

Of course they were emotional creatures at heart.Logic was used to help guide them to a more peaceful life because their emotions were too stronge.

randy kerr

Report this May. 12 2012, 1:47 pm

a awesome vulcan.

StarTrek.

Report this May. 12 2012, 7:12 pm

by far the best vulcan women ever and the romance between her and trip was the best than any romance from any star trek series . Also if ther had been a 5th season T'Pol would finally meet her father and discover that he was in fact a Romulan agent who had posed as a Vulcan officer prior to faking his own death. The revelation that T'Pol was half-Romulan would have shed light on her affinity for humanity and as well as her interest in experimenting with emotions.

ElizabethTlesTucker

Report this May. 12 2012, 8:08 pm

Quote: Baseball_Coach @ May. 12 2012, 10:20 am

You need to watch Corbon Crrek to understand why T'Pol was on Enterprise to begin with.

Once she was there, she grew to trust Archer more than her government and wanted to continue to serve with him.

I think it's logical to do that.

Her mother said she T'Pol always had her emotions close to the surface, it's not unreasonable that she wanted to stay with the Enterprise crew.

I've seen "Carbon Creek" 3x. Off the top of my head I don't recall how her grandmother's having been the cpt of the doomed mission has to do with T'Pol's being on Enterprise.

Your last 2 points are highly logical

ElizabethTlesTucker

Report this May. 12 2012, 8:09 pm

Sorry about all the blank space in the above post. Not certain what caused it. The computer geeks will have to figure it out.

kjaneway11

Report this May. 29 2012, 12:57 pm

T'Pol was different somehow from most Vulcans you see on Star Trek.

She was not your average logic-quoting Vulcan.

She cried when her Mom died, and sometimes seemed emotional to a basic

extent. Although T'Pol was logical, she showed some emotion-- something that most Vulcans never do.

Pooneil

Report this May. 31 2012, 7:51 am

I thought T'Pol was easily one of Star Trek's best characters. There's a misapprehension among the fans that all Vulcans possess the same intelligence and wisdom and are logical and rational to a fault. Spock always had the excuse of being half human, and I'd prefer T'Pol not be burdened with any "half-Romulan" heritage to explain away her behavior. As it is she allows us to see a different side of Vulcans, showing them in a more realistic light as people who experience the same emotions as the rest of us, but who go to great lengths to control and suppress them.

And, of course, logic is not as clear-cut as some people like to think. It is possible to be entirely logical and still totally irrational.

Beetlescott

Report this Jun. 01 2012, 7:35 pm

When T'pol first came aboard the good ship Enterprise, she could barely stand the stench of humans (or their pets) She was becoming more accustomed in Pjem when Shran had them captive in the room, she could share a blanket with Archer, even though her numbing agent was wearing off. I think the reason she asked Archer to not take her to Vulcan on the way to the Expanse to find the Xindi, I feel that the Vulcan High Command was pressing her to force her to leave Enterprise. Soval was afraid she was becoming Humanized, which, in my opinion was exactly what was happening. By the time they had whipped the Xindi, and were back to Earth, I feel she was into really dealing with human emotions. Archer facinated her from Broken Bow. I think she was being logical NOT following the demands of Vulcan. She knew in her heart Archer needed her, they were heading to what very well could of been a suicide mission, and Earth was haning in the balance. She is my favorite vulcan of all!!!!

Beetlescott

Report this Jun. 01 2012, 7:41 pm

I couldn't agree with you more, I think you could put Tpol up with any Vulcan. She didn't care to stand up to Tpau, or Sovol or any of them. I always thought it would be cool if she had of at least ended up in Sareks family.

Beetlescott

Report this Jun. 01 2012, 7:41 pm

michaela.lyktberg

Report this Jun. 05 2012, 12:57 pm

Didnt her mom say t'pol always had more temper and emotion than most vulcans, plus didnt she get some decease from the forced mind meld which made her feel mor stuff, or am I wrong?

-I never realised yout thought of me as reckless, Tuvok. -A poor choice of words. It was clearly an understatement.

Users browsing this forum: DS9TREK