What Makes Vulcans Special

ElizabethTlesTucker

Report this May. 06 2012, 11:07 am

Some attributes to consider:

Their strength
Their logic
Their superior mental capacity for concentration and higher mathematics

Most of all I want to look at how Vulcans assimilate their emotions. After all, in TOS the highest quality dramatic tension arises from Spock's internal battle between his Vulcan heritage and his human physiology. While TOS never referred to Spock's emotional side as being grounded in his human DNA, there it is in it's simplest form. Spock was raised on Vulcan & as a Vulcan (he highly identified with Vulcan culture), yet there is no escaping the emotional endowment bequeathed him by Ronald Reagan's first wife (Jane Wyman played Spock's mother). The internal conflicts that these facts lead to are what most fascinates us about Vulcans.

Of course we could include something about T'Pol. She was Vulcan through and through, yet, like Spock, she too fought to deny and then to assimilate her emotional side. Indeed, it is questionable if Spock ever made the effort to assimilate his emotions, there's no question that T'Pol did make the effort.

I have seen very few Voyager episodes so if anyone out there has seen them pls feel free to contribute your thoughts on Tuvok. Of course the same goes for any of the Vulcans on any of the Star Trek shows. Thank you.

Live long & Prosper

ETT

By the way, if this idea has been covered pls point me to the post, thanks.

tracytrek

Report this Jul. 26 2012, 9:41 pm

Amanda was played by Jane Wyatt, not Wyman. Ms. Wyatt was not Mrs. Reagan. Ms. Wyman was.

miklamar

Report this Jul. 27 2012, 12:31 pm

I think a lot of people prefer logic to emotions.

Reedworftripparis

Report this Jul. 28 2012, 7:55 pm

Even though they show no emotions, the emotions are on the surface and when faced with a difficult challenge, you can see the inner colflict and struggle.

I think a lot of us really don't want our emotions to control us. And we admire that in the Vulcans

"Reed Alert, that's not bad"...Malcolm Reed

megan512

Report this Jul. 28 2012, 8:16 pm

I think that their ability to keep emotion from affecting their judgements is something most people wish they could do. I wish I could.

MoppyCGDaniels

Report this Jul. 29 2012, 3:55 pm

T'Pol and Tuvok did in the final ep got confused with their Vulcan heritage to avoid emotions. Tuvok did as I recall suppress these & T'Pol alowed herself to chanel the feelings.

miklamar

Report this Aug. 01 2012, 12:25 pm

Before androids, Vulcans may have been the most intelligent species in the Federation (along with Zakdorns, of course).  I think Mr. Spock's extreme intelligence made him a favorite, in addition to his other endearing qualities.