ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

And the villain in the new movie will be...........

tige995

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16

Report this May. 01 2012, 9:38 pm

KAHN  played by Benedict Cumberbatch


 


-WOW  can't wait to see it


-boooo  can't JJ come up with a new story?


 


Im in the booo camp (I wanted a romulan or klingon war)    How about you?  Discuss. 

Hugues

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 537

Report this May. 02 2012, 6:05 am

...


DS9 RULES!!!!!

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this May. 02 2012, 6:09 am

Quote: tige995 @ May. 01 2012, 9:38 pm

>

>KAHN  played by Benedict Cumberbatch

>-WOW  can't wait to see it

>-boooo  can't JJ come up with a new story?

>Im in the booo camp (I wanted a romulan or klingon war)    How about you?  Discuss. 

>


 


How can you argue that Khan is not a "new story?" Obviously they can't re-tell the "Space Seed" or "Wrath of Khan" storylines, because the circumstances are totally different. So this will be a totally different take using an existing and familliar character to drive it. "Familliar characters" don't necessarily equal "familliar story." if that were true, then you could complain that having Kirk and Spock in the movie is unoriginal. The argument makes absolutely no sense.


At the same time you complain about not having a new story, you are advocating for a "space wars" movie?? Isn't intergalactic space wars the most over-used and cliched sci-fi plot device in the history of the genre?


I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Pooneil

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1023

Report this May. 02 2012, 11:03 am

Quote: Vger23 @ May. 02 2012, 6:09 am

>

>if that were true, then you could complain that having Kirk and Spock in the movie is unoriginal. The argument makes absolutely no sense.

>


But that is unoriginal. Not necessarily bad or good, but definitely unoriginal.


But we need to clarify: Will the villain in the new movie be "Khan" or "Kahn"?

munkygirl

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 24

Report this May. 03 2012, 7:06 am

I was under the impression that they did the alternate timeline so they could be free of the TOS stories.  What was the point of killing Kirk's dad, making him a jerk, blowing up all of friggin Vulcan if they're just going to rehash old TOS stories with a twist?

picard_2305

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 168

Report this May. 03 2012, 7:10 am

Quote: munkygirl @ May. 03 2012, 7:06 am

>

>I was under the impression that they did the alternate timeline so they could be free of the TOS stories.  What was the point of killing Kirk's dad, making him a jerk, blowing up all of friggin Vulcan if they're just going to rehash old TOS stories with a twist?

>


 


Lazy writing I would say. These guys seem to be doing exactly what fans were criticising the Berman era of doing, rehash plot points and stories from previous episodes. Only difference now is that the fans are happy kissing the ass of these writers.


Maybe Vger is right and they might do a different take on Khan but I have to say I am very disappointed but hardly surprised that they have gone this route. 


But whatever faith I had in these guys is slowly evaporating and I was warming to the new take on Trek when this bombshell was announced.


Who am I to argue with the captain of the Enterprise?

picard_2305

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 168

Report this May. 03 2012, 7:11 am

Well I am sure it will stil be a great film but it won't top Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. You can't top Ricardo Montalban.

munkygirl

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 24

Report this May. 03 2012, 7:15 am

I'm also all kinds of pissed if it is true that they cast a white guy to play an Indian Sikh Warrior.  


 


As much as the first NuTrek turned me off, these rumors are making me ill.

Pooneil

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1023

Report this May. 03 2012, 7:43 am

The first time around, they cast a Mexican to play an Indian Sikh Warrior, didn't they?

munkygirl

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 24

Report this May. 03 2012, 7:47 am

Quote: Pooneil @ May. 03 2012, 7:43 am

>

>The first time around, they cast a Mexican to play an Indian Sikh Warrior, didn't they?

>


 


Just because there was casting restrictions and racism in 1966 doesn't excuse whitewashing in 2012.  I've heard that argument all around the internet and because it was done then doesn't make it acceptable now.


They used to cast white people in brown face to play American Indians in Westerns and Black face to play Blacks....does that mean we should do it now?

picard_2305

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 168

Report this May. 03 2012, 4:00 pm

I am trying to keep positive about the new take on Trek but it seems they are being unoriginal and proving that they don't have any real creative talent.


Who am I to argue with the captain of the Enterprise?

Skyjammer0

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 218

Report this May. 03 2012, 4:19 pm

Hopefully, the beginning of the story will be the same. The Enterprise finding the Botany Bay. They can't change that part, because that would have happened before the Nero incursion, the launching of the sleeper ship and all.

Fun123fun8

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 399

Report this May. 03 2012, 5:15 pm

Quote: Skyjammer0 @ May. 03 2012, 4:19 pm

>

>Hopefully, the beginning of the story will be the same. The Enterprise finding the Botany Bay. They can't change that part, because that would have happened before the Nero incursion, the launching of the sleeper ship and all.

>


well in 2009 they blew up vulcan o wouldnt that effect all the trips to vulcan in the shows?


want a hug

fair28

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1

Report this May. 22 2012, 4:52 pm

done that already.  I'm pretty bummed about that, I'm sure the movie will be good though.

voyagersborg47

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 150

Report this May. 22 2012, 5:17 pm

What if, because this is a sequel to an alternate reality, the Federation is introduced to the Borg earlier than before?


"It's a primitive culture." -Counselor Troi

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum