Sherlock Holmes to Khan Noonien Singh (announced April 30, 2012), so not a spoiler

Species5618A

Report this May. 01 2012, 10:23 am

It should be interesting to see the Sherlock star play such a iconic role as Khan in the next Star Trek film. Also Sherlock Series 2 will premiere on PBS Masterpiece this Sunday May 6. What do you think of Mr. Cumberbatch as Khan? Maybe Alice Eve plays Lt. Marla McGivers in the film or Carol Marcus.

Treknoir

Report this May. 01 2012, 11:33 am

I plan to see the movie opening weekend and hope it's good and does well.

Skyjammer0

Report this May. 01 2012, 11:37 am

Species5618A

Report this May. 02 2012, 7:16 am

If this rumor is true I'll rewatch both "Space Seed" & Star Trek The Wrath Of Khan in May 2013.

munkygirl

Report this May. 03 2012, 6:52 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>Just to be fair, it hasn't OFFICIALLY been confirmed, but that's JJ's M.O. to be hush-hush. I think Cumberbatch is a great actor. BUT I'm disappointed that he's playing the role of a Sikh. At least Ricardo Montalban could kinda, sorta if you squinted, pass as someone from Northern India. If they had to use Khan as a villain why not use an Indian actor? It's 2012, ST was pushing it with the use of minorities back in the 60's, so no real excuse not to be as "authentic" as possible with casting this go around.

>I plan to see the movie opening weekend and hope it's good and does well.

If Cumberbatch is to be Khan maybe they've said well obviously the Eugenics War didn't take place in the 1990s - we might as well change the ethnicity to suit ourselves.

If we are to have Khan I don't know about a Sikh with the beard and turban. I just don't see the sex appeal there. No offense Sikh people but I think they're dressed to be repectful to their religion and I respect them highly for it too.

To be perfectly shallow I would prefer a muscled exotic man in the role of Khan who could act. The acting part is most important to me though.

So a bearded man in a turban can't have sex appeal?

A beard isn't sexy? Tell that to the millions of Riker fangirls out there.  A turban may be religious but at the end of the day it's just a hat.

I think you need to broaden your horizons a bit. Open your mind.

Sikhs are badass warriors and to cast a White guy in the role is a disservice to Gene Roddenberry's vision of diversity.  In 1966 the casting of a Mexican as an Indian was excusable because it was, well 1966.  It's 2012.  There are numerous Indian and Middle Eastern actors that could play Khan and play him well.

Treknoir

Report this May. 03 2012, 9:13 am

Quote: munkygirl @ May. 03 2012, 6:52 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

So a bearded man in a turban can't have sex appeal?

I think you need to broaden your horizons a bit. Open your mind.

Clearly, I agree.

Khan played by Montalban did not wear a turban, so I don't know where that came from. Khan was from Northern India and ruled over much of that area and the middle east according to the prime timeline. As you stated, we can accept why Montalban was picked to play him in the 20th century. But in 2012, come on.

Now, Servalanfan could be correct that in the alternate timeline certain things are different. Maybe it's no longer Khan the Sikh warrior but Kahn the augmented German Jewish warrior.

munkygirl

Report this May. 03 2012, 9:19 am

Quote: Treknoir @ May. 03 2012, 9:13 am

Quote: munkygirl @ May. 03 2012, 6:52 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

So a bearded man in a turban can't have sex appeal?

I think you need to broaden your horizons a bit. Open your mind.

Clearly, I agree.

Khan was painted by Marla in Space Seed wearing a turban. I think they just didn't have him wearing one because he was in hypersleep and all they had were the gold mesh things to wear and that's it.

I don't see how the alternate timeline could be affected. Given the story from ST XI, the change happened when Kirk was born. So events in the 1990s wouldn't  be changed.

Treknoir

Report this May. 03 2012, 11:49 am

Quote: munkygirl @ May. 03 2012, 9:19 am

Quote: Treknoir @ May. 03 2012, 9:13 am

Bless your heart. This is ST. Someone will swing around the nearest star and talk a bunch of technobabble (almost assuredly to include the words anomaly, sub, tachyon, plus faux physics) and then POOF! 1990's Khan becomes Kahn and Cumberbatch in all his pale, fantastic glory makes movie "sense". Retcon deluxe!

LOL

munkygirl

Report this May. 03 2012, 1:02 pm

Quote: Treknoir @ May. 03 2012, 11:49 am

Quote: munkygirl @ May. 03 2012, 9:19 am

Quote: Treknoir @ May. 03 2012, 9:13 am

LOL

Bull...I want an explanation if they change the course of events in the 1990's.   I mean they changed a lot of stuff in Enterprise and then got out of it by saying "oh it's an alternate timeline after First Contact", to cover for crappy continuity.

I wanna see how they cover for whitewashing

Treknoir

Report this May. 03 2012, 1:27 pm

Quote: munkygirl @ May. 03 2012, 1:02 pm

Quote: Treknoir @ May. 03 2012, 11:49 am

I wanna see how they cover for whitewashing

Perhaps alternate universe augments are like arctic hares and foxes, their skin changes color based on the season. Cumberbatch may end up a nice bronze once exposed to light for a while. I keed.

randy kerr

Report this May. 03 2012, 3:34 pm

i love sherlock and boardwalk empire. and all startrek shows and movies and cartoon.

padracin

Report this May. 03 2012, 5:31 pm

Hey I'm sympathetic to the argument that an Indian charactor should be played by an Indian actor.  As to the too skinny argument............didn't DeNiro pack on some pounds to play a fighter?  They're actors after all.  Cumberbatch is really a great actor.

Treknoir

Report this May. 04 2012, 7:19 am

S: Look beards are not sexy.

TN: Hey now, speak for yourself. Beards can be very sexy.

S: I'm so old I remember those old Ali Baba movies with some white guy playing the hero. Even when I was young I used to wonder if the white anglo-saxon person was adopted into a middle-eastern family

TN: