Captain Sisko's "look".

edward.anderson

Report this Apr. 22 2012, 9:56 pm

I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. when DS9 started Captain Sisko had a full head of hair and was clean-shaven. Then (I can't remember what season exactly now, 2 or 3 maybe?) he grew a moustache and a goatee and had a shaved head for the rest of the series. Was there ever an explanation given why he did that? I've seen pretty much every episode and I don't think there was. Even stranger, I don't remember any of the other characters commenting on it. You'd think they would have had at least Jake or one or two other people comment on his dad changing his look! Or maybe there was an explanation given and I've just forgotten. I know, I'm sure in real life it's something Avery Brooks wanted to do but I was curious to know if there was anything said about why the character Ben Sisko did it. It's no big deal I was just wondering.

Ed

OtakuJo

Report this Apr. 22 2012, 11:39 pm

The goatee came along in Explorers, when he showed it to Jake. (and got a bit thinner in the following episode because honestly in Explorers he looked like he had roadkill on his face.)

The bald look came in Way of the Warrior (start of season four).

In Homefront, Dax mentioned "Maybe the Prophets don't recognise you with the new beard." or words to that effect.

I think he just did it because he reckoned it would look better and more distinctive. He was right.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Tronnix

Report this Apr. 23 2012, 1:19 am

He was asked at a convention I was at in Tulsa. If I remember correctly he said his look was discussed each season, and it was a combination of what he and the producers wanted but eventually it was all what he wanted. He likes the bald look, he's had it since Spencer for Hire.

There's an old saying: "Fortune favors the bold." Well, it looks like we're about to find out. --Avery Brooks as Benjamin Sisko

edward.anderson

Report this Apr. 23 2012, 2:56 pm

Ed

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Apr. 23 2012, 3:03 pm

Quote: edward.anderson @ Apr. 23 2012, 2:56 pm

>Yeah, that's right Avery Brooks had the same look on Spenser: For Hire. Although I never watched that show I just remember that from seeing the promos for it.
Yep - it was a great show and Brooks' character, "Hawk" was awesome - even got his own short-lived show.  When TNG came around, the producers didn't want Commander Sisko to be linked with Hawk.

Fleet Admiral Braxton

Report this Apr. 23 2012, 4:30 pm

What's Good For Picard Is Good For Sisko.

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this Apr. 23 2012, 6:39 pm

Quote: edward.anderson @ Apr. 22 2012, 9:56 pm

>I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. when DS9 started Captain Sisko had a full head of hair and was clean-shaven.

correction...........his hasir line was receeding at the start of the series

Re-watch "way of the warrior".......his girlfriend makes a comment about it.

Photobucket

Blockman

Report this Apr. 24 2012, 8:46 pm

I thought his father mentioned it once.

HadassahJoy

Report this Apr. 25 2012, 1:58 pm

He looked younger with hair then with out them