ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

By the 24th Century can they Proove if God does or does NOT exist

Garfield-Nut

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 92

Report this Apr. 18 2012, 12:35 pm

 An Atheist Friend said to me- Me being a Christian "You can't proove God exists" I then replied "Well, you can't proove that he doesn't exist"

OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this Apr. 18 2012, 2:55 pm

In logic it's impossible to prove a negative. The existence of some "gods" are proven in the ST universe (such as the Prophets.) Still, the series never states entirely whether they are really gods, or very advanced aliens, or if indeed they could be both.


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

MoppyCGDaniels

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 409

Report this Apr. 18 2012, 4:23 pm

Just watch the movie TFF it's at least the prove that God does excist here in the 24th Century.

Cap.Marty.D.Young

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1512

Report this May. 19 2012, 12:27 pm

Kirk and the Enterprise DID in fact meet "God", however, he didn't live up to the hype. Also, you may notice that nobody from Earth in the Start Trek timelines seen to practice any religion at all, it seems in the future we all stop talking to imaginary friends and believe in hard facts. 


Never drink with your enemies! Well, maybe just one round...

RStar17

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 382

Report this May. 19 2012, 12:53 pm

The Klingons killed God in Star Trek V.


Cap.Marty.D.Young

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1512

Report this May. 19 2012, 9:09 pm

In the legends, the ancient Klingons killed their own gods as well, you see a pattern there? 


Never drink with your enemies! Well, maybe just one round...

stovokor2000-A

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2001

Report this May. 19 2012, 9:26 pm

Quote: RStar17 @ May. 19 2012, 12:53 pm

>

>The Klingons killed God in Star Trek V.

>
you are in error sir.


Spock did thast useing klingon weapons.


Photobucket

stovokor2000-A

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2001

Report this May. 19 2012, 9:29 pm

Quote: Cap.Marty.D.Young @ May. 19 2012, 12:27 pm

>you may notice that nobody from Earth in the Start Trek timelines seen to practice any religion at all, it seems in the future we all stop talking to imaginary friends and believe in hard facts.


I'm not so sure about that.There are a few refrances to Christmass, a number of characters say things like "ohh my God"


Photobucket

*Passionfruit*

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 47

Report this May. 20 2012, 9:47 am

Quote: stovokor2000-A @ May. 19 2012, 9:29 pm

Quote: Cap.Marty.D.Young @ May. 19 2012, 12:27 pm

>

>you may notice that nobody from Earth in the Start Trek timelines seen to practice any religion at all, it seems in the future we all stop talking to imaginary friends and believe in hard facts.

I'm not so sure about that.There are a few refrances to Christmass, a number of characters say things like "ohh my God"


That doesn't mean that they do that consciously with a religious motivation. 'oh my God' is just a phrase, I sometimes say it without meaning to adress any deity. And Christmas today doesn't have a religious meaning for everybody. Some just celebrate it as a family feast without any church attendance or prayers or stories about Maria and Joseph in Bethlehem.


It has never been clearly stated in ST that all humans in the 24th century are atheists, but it seems that most humans in Starfleet are. I think the authors wrote it like this for the alienation effect it has when the Starfleet guys come in contact with alien religions - so the different viewpoints interact with each other and the viewer can decide for her/himself. I think this has produced some very differenciated episode like the one about the cloned Kahless, which can't really be nailed down to a pro-religious or anti-religious position imo.


***


On the original subject of the thread:


Since religion deals with the metaphysical I don't see how it can ever be completly proven or disproven. The only things that can be proven or disproven are 'mundane' literal details like that Jesus was a historic figure who walked on the face of the earth (gods son or not) or that pregnancy usually requires a mundane action.

stovokor2000-A

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2001

Report this May. 20 2012, 10:50 am

Quote: *Passionfruit* @ May. 20 2012, 9:47 am

>That doesn't mean that they do that consciously with a religious motivation. 'oh my God' is just a phrase, I sometimes say it without meaning to adress any deity. And Christmas today doesn't have a religious meaning for everybody. Some just celebrate it as a family feast without any church attendance or prayers or stories about Maria and Joseph in Bethlehem.


hence, the reason I said "I'm not so sure".


point I'm trying to make is that theres reason enough to think that earthers still have religions in some shape and form.


It has never been clearly stated in ST that all humans in the 24th century are atheists, but it seems that most humans in Starfleet are.


see, thats what I dont agree with.I dont think the evidence is clar in asny case.


On the original subject of the thread:


Photobucket

Kdbtrekkin

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3648

Report this May. 20 2012, 12:41 pm

Depends. The klingons killed there God's supposably.


But in my thought, I believe. No. That question is one that will never be answered, unless we become as Q. Someone so far evolved we can sit next to God(and not be dead) if there is a God. But that is a long way off. 


"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty." Frank Herbert(Dune)

eutychus

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 124

Report this May. 20 2012, 2:33 pm

I thought that Q had said he had met God ("I've met Him") as if to imply God wasn't impressive enough to the Q to invest much time in. If anything, this says more about the writers than it does about God.

RStar17

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 382

Report this May. 20 2012, 8:19 pm

Quote: stovokor2000-A @ May. 19 2012, 9:26 pm

Quote: RStar17 @ May. 19 2012, 12:53 pm

>

>

>The Klingons killed God in Star Trek V.

>
you are in error sir.

Spock did thast useing klingon weapons.


Taking orders from Klingon General Korrd.


stovokor2000-A

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2001

Report this May. 20 2012, 8:30 pm

Quote: RStar17 @ May. 20 2012, 8:19 pm

Quote: stovokor2000-A @ May. 19 2012, 9:26 pm

Quote: RStar17 @ May. 19 2012, 12:53 pm

>

>

>

>The Klingons killed God in Star Trek V.

>
you are in error sir.

Spock did thast useing klingon weapons.

Taking orders from Klingon General Korrd.


again, you are in error.


Spock gave orders to a reluctant Klingon General Korrd.


remember this line??


"Damn you sir...you will try!!!"


Photobucket

RStar17

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 382

Report this May. 20 2012, 8:53 pm

Quote: stovokor2000-A @ May. 20 2012, 8:30 pm

Quote: RStar17 @ May. 20 2012, 8:19 pm

Quote: stovokor2000-A @ May. 19 2012, 9:26 pm

Quote: RStar17 @ May. 19 2012, 12:53 pm

>

>

>

>

>The Klingons killed God in Star Trek V.

>
you are in error sir.

Spock did thast useing klingon weapons.

Taking orders from Klingon General Korrd.

again, you are in error.

Spock gave orders to a reluctant Klingon General Korrd.

remember this line??

"Damn you sir...you will try!!!"


Like Spock could take command of a Bird of Prey.


Recently logged in

Users browsing this forum: darmokattanagra

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum