You find an injured or ill animal. What do you do?

Created by: deannastartreker

deannastartreker

Report this Apr. 05 2012, 2:14 am

Take it home, give it a name and look after it. It could be friends with one of the pets i already have

The Nightwish devil child speaks all . . . and Finnish

Beershark

Report this Apr. 05 2012, 2:37 am

Leave it alone and let nature take it's course.

Wild animals can be dangerous when injured. Even our national parks, injured animals are left alone to recover in a way natural to it's self and it's enviroment.

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

caltrek2

Report this Apr. 05 2012, 4:50 am

Other.

Call your local animal control or non-profit SPCA. They are trained to deal with such situations. An injured or diseased animal can be very dangerous.

Once professionals have made a proper assessment of the situation, you can then pursue one of the other options mentioned, assuming that animal control finds that the animal is adoptable.

If animal control (or park rangers, etc.) are not easily accessible, take good notes of the location and report it when you can. It may be too late to help, but then again it may not. Remember, that an animal in distress may find your proximity to it another source of stress, so keep plenty of distance between you and the animal. Encourage any others in the area to do the same. Again, professionals are trained to deal with this stress factor.

As Americans, we sometimes suffer from too much pluribus and not enough unum. - Arthur Schelsinger, Jr.

Tureaz'47

Report this Apr. 05 2012, 5:20 am

Take it to the vet or get one to come to where I am. Our poor animals.

Commander_Zelkar

Report this Apr. 05 2012, 8:35 am

You need to be more specific. I don't think there's much you can do if it's a wild animal, taking it home would not be a good thing to do.

There's a kind of freedom in being totally screwed, you know things can't get any worse.

xXLadyDataXx

Report this Apr. 05 2012, 11:18 am

caltrek2

Report this Apr. 05 2012, 6:15 pm

Quote: xXLadyDataXx @ Apr. 05 2012, 11:18 am

>It dependson the type and size of the animal. If it's a bear I would call 911 but if it's a really small forest critter like a skunk, bunny, squirrel, fox, or a badger I would definitely take it home with me and look after it. Maybe we'll become BBF's lol

Your heart is in the right place.

Wild skunks, bunnies, squirrels, foxes, or badgers can carry rabies and other infectious diseases. So unless you want to freak out your parents, a trained professional should look at the animal first. Bears may be an obvious danger, but bacteria, germs, and viruses can kill just as easily as a big bear.

Again, your heart is in the right place.

xXLadyDataXx

Report this Apr. 05 2012, 11:08 pm

Quote: caltrek2 @ Apr. 05 2012, 6:15 pm

Quote: xXLadyDataXx @ Apr. 05 2012, 11:18 am

Your heart is in the right place.

Again, your heart is in the right place.

You make a valid point. If I had medical experience then I would take care of any animal that got injured but since I don't have any medical experience and wouldn't want to risk any diseases so instead I would send it to the vet or an animal shelterl.

K_tigress

Report this Apr. 05 2012, 11:36 pm

Well If I was a jerk, I’d cook it and eat it.

But since I’m a nice chick, if it was a wild animal, if I knew enough to heal it I’d do that. If not, I’d bring it to  wild life center.
If it was domestic, id either bring it to a vet or an animal shelter which I have done so many other times in the past. Animals tend to gravitate to me any how.

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. -Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

xXLadyDataXx

Report this Apr. 10 2012, 8:14 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>Mmmmmm. Time to eat.

Would you like duck a l'orange or possum pie?

Commander_Zelkar

Report this Apr. 11 2012, 5:12 am

akebono62

POSTS: 19767

Report this Apr. 11 2012, 6:10 am

Call animal control and wait until they arrive, doing what you can in the interim to ease the animal's suffering- if rabies does not appear to be a consideration.

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Apr. 11 2012, 6:13 am

Depends on what kind of animal it is.

Like if it's a dog or a cat or something like that, then nurse it back to health and put signs up or something telling everyone that you found a lost cat or dog. If no one claims it, then keep it.

But if its another kind of animal, take it to an animal shelter. A baby bird fell out of its nest in our yard and the mother wouldn't touch it, so we brought it inside, put in in a cage for the night and the next morning we took it to the animal shelter to see what they could do. It wasn't injured so bad that it could never fly again; the biggest thing was just that its mother left it and wouldn't touch it.

Finding cats and dogs on the street is different than finding squirrells or birds.