ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Data is a jerk when he's in charge

Trekwolf164

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 32043

Report this Apr. 04 2012, 6:09 pm

Data decided to prove he was a capable leader, he could have let Hodson hide below decks instead he decided to show the oficer he was being a jerk by allowing him to remain First Officer he got to demonstrate his command ability.


Being a good Starfleet officer Hodson saw the error in his request and admitted it to Captain Data


 


www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcdZla4gKk0

TNG=culture

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 329

Report this Apr. 04 2012, 6:12 pm

 Some good reading here, you hear? i   at bungalo bill!, it reminds me of team work, and no one person is really in charge. Bravo! Bravo!, for great thoughts. 

stovokor2000-A

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2001

Report this Apr. 04 2012, 8:16 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>

>

>oh thats just him copying some guy on TV scince he has no emotion he copys people

>

Data doesn't watch TV; there are no televisions on the Enterprise; but I imagine you are answering a different question ... nice try though.  Maybe you need to be more observant and less inferential in the future; stop assuming things about characters; because when you assume ...

 

speaking of assuming...........how can you be so sure there arent any TV's on the Enterprise?


We saw Nog watching lots of tv at Vic in DS9...........Voyager's Tom Paris had a tv............maybe 1 of the thousand + people on the Enterprise shared Tom's interest in the old style of entertainment.


 


Photobucket

stovokor2000-A

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2001

Report this Apr. 05 2012, 1:00 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>

>

>

>

>oh thats just him copying some guy on TV scince he has no emotion he copys people

>

Data doesn't watch TV; there are no televisions on the Enterprise; but I imagine you are answering a different question ... nice try though.  Maybe you need to be more observant and less inferential in the future; stop assuming things about characters; because when you assume ...

 

speaking of assuming...........how can you be so sure there arent any TV's on the Enterprise?

We saw Nog watching lots of tv at Vic in DS9...........Voyager's Tom Paris had a tv............maybe 1 of the thousand + people on the Enterprise shared Tom's interest in the old style of entertainment.

 

True enough, but I believe B'Elanna said something about giving it up, etc.  But either way; Data watching TV? 

I don't know ...

maybe he watchs android porn?


Photobucket

HadassahJoy

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 203

Report this Apr. 05 2012, 8:15 am

I dont think he was trying to be Jerk I think he was just trying to do what he  needed to do 


OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this Apr. 07 2012, 2:00 am

Quote: stovokor2000-A @ Apr. 04 2012, 8:16 pm

>

>speaking of assuming...........how can you be so sure there arent any TV's on the Enterprise?

>


There is a point where Data says that TV stopped as a popular form of entertainment hundreds of years ago. One might extrapolate from what he says, that if he believes no-one watches TV, he does not watch it himself.


I'm not sure about the circumstances with Tom Paris (although he is into retro technology), but the TV in Vic's was specific to the 1960s. Of course maybe somebody has a telly on the Enterprise -- but we can pretty safely assume from Data's comments that he does not.


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

stovokor2000-A

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2001

Report this Apr. 07 2012, 4:45 am

Quote: OtakuJo @ Apr. 07 2012, 2:00 am

>There is a point where Data says that TV stopped as a popular form of entertainment hundreds of years ago. One might extrapolate from what he says, that if he believes no-one watches TV, he does not watch it himself.


which still doesnt prevluded the possibility of an crewmember with an odd hobby


 


Photobucket

the bungalo bill

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2308

Report this Apr. 07 2012, 11:21 am

Quote: TNG=culture @ Apr. 04 2012, 6:12 pm

>

> i    at bungalo bill

>


I still agree with the thread topic (Data is a jerk when he's in charge), I just see why someone might think otherwise. I like to look at the issue from both sides


OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this Apr. 07 2012, 5:09 pm

Quote: stovokor2000-A @ Apr. 07 2012, 4:45 am

Quote: OtakuJo @ Apr. 07 2012, 2:00 am

>

>There is a point where Data says that TV stopped as a popular form of entertainment hundreds of years ago. One might extrapolate from what he says, that if he believes no-one watches TV, he does not watch it himself.

which still doesnt prevluded the possibility of an crewmember with an odd hobby

 


No it doesn't. I said as much in the previous post. This is evidence particularly that Data does not watch TV.


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

PetShopBoysMontyPythonSta
rTrekLover1997

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 109

Report this Apr. 08 2012, 10:03 pm

 


he is exercising his jerkish emotions. just kidding but yeah he can be a pain in the butt when it comes to command. but he sure is good at giving orders


Photobucket

PetShopBoysMontyPythonSta
rTrekLover1997

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 109

Report this Apr. 08 2012, 10:05 pm

 


he is exercising his jerkish emotions. just kidding but yeah he can be a pain in the butt when it comes to command. but he sure is good at giving orders


Photobucket

Broadstorm

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 828

Report this Apr. 08 2012, 10:56 pm

Quote: the bungalo bill @ Apr. 07 2012, 11:21 am

>

> I just see why someone might think otherwise. I like to look at the issue from both sides

>


It is a shame that there are others here who do not.

miklamar

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2161

Report this Apr. 09 2012, 12:06 pm

I didn't think Data was a jerk.  I thought he was completely logical.  Mr. Spock would have been very proud of his command example.


Var Miklama--Zakdorn, engineer. "A sound mind in a FULL body!" "Time, like latinum, is a limited quantity in the galaxy."

Roboto

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3883

Report this Apr. 09 2012, 6:53 pm

Quote: bvbpl @ Apr. 04 2012, 1:10 pm

Quote: the bungalo bill @ Apr. 04 2012, 12:12 pm

>

>

>Especially when one considers how many times Riker orders, "Shields up!" or "Fire!" without Picard's prior authorization.

>

Exactly.  Part of the XO's job is to act with initiative on the captian's behalf.  If Data couldn't trust Hobson to perform in that capacity then he should have accepted Hobson's request for a transfer. 

 

What's more, Hobson's prejudice against Data for being an android is understandable.  Hobson has never met an android before; he didn't know Data could do the job.  It wasn't unreasonable for him to question Data's ability.


Perhaps it was not altogether unreasonable, but that is not something to be done in public on the bridge for all to see and here. I recall in another episode when Data was in charge, he took Worf aside and explained this same concept to him: if the XO has questions about his superior's capabilities, then he should take him aside and speak to him privately, not challenge him before the entire bridge crew. 


And, in this case, when mere seconds made the difference between success and failure, Data did not have time to make a lengthy explanation. That is also the perogative of a commander. He is not required to provide detailed explanations at every turn.


Broadstorm

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 828

Report this Apr. 10 2012, 3:30 am

Quote: Roboto @ Apr. 09 2012, 6:53 pm

Quote: bvbpl @ Apr. 04 2012, 1:10 pm

Quote: the bungalo bill @ Apr. 04 2012, 12:12 pm

>

>

>

>Especially when one considers how many times Riker orders, "Shields up!" or "Fire!" without Picard's prior authorization.

>

Exactly.  Part of the XO's job is to act with initiative on the captian's behalf.  If Data couldn't trust Hobson to perform in that capacity then he should have accepted Hobson's request for a transfer. 

 

What's more, Hobson's prejudice against Data for being an android is understandable.  Hobson has never met an android before; he didn't know Data could do the job.  It wasn't unreasonable for him to question Data's ability.

Perhaps it was not altogether unreasonable, but that is not something to be done in public on the bridge for all to see and here. I recall in another episode when Data was in charge, he took Worf aside and explained this same concept to him: if the XO has questions about his superior's capabilities, then he should take him aside and speak to him privately, not challenge him before the entire bridge crew. 

And, in this case, when mere seconds made the difference between success and failure, Data did not have time to make a lengthy explanation. That is also the perogative of a commander. He is not required to provide detailed explanations at every turn.


Good point about the public vs private corrections, but there were 2 differences that explain that.  Worf was being insubordinate because he didn't agree with Data.  Hobson was blatantly trying to usurp Data's authority.  While it could be argued that public insubordination should be dealt with by public reprimand, Data chose to do it privately as was his prerogative, and as you said, there was time to do it that way.  Hobson needed to be put in his place publicly due to the immediate need, and Data needed to assert himself openly to counter Hobson's "you don't belong here" attitude toward Data.  Remember that Hobson put the weapons back online, undoing a step in the procedure to save lives so he could openly state that the machine doesn't care about people.

Recently logged in

Users browsing this forum: heronymous

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum