Why Do People Feel The Need To Convert Others?

DammitJim6200

Report this Mar. 27 2012, 7:29 pm

Quote:

Your friend wants to save you, your life, when God unleashes his WRATH upon this sinful world we live in don't you want to be saved ? Rev.11:18.

Beershark

Report this Mar. 27 2012, 8:29 pm

Quote: DammitJim6200 @ Mar. 27 2012, 7:29 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>I have a friend who always believed in god but was never very religious. He met a woman who is very religious,they dated for about 6 months,got engaged and got married a couple of months ago. Before this relationship we(my friend and I) discussed religion,philosophy and science quite often. When this relationship began our conversations seemed to turn away from philosophy and science and focused more on religion. It didn't take long before he started telling me what I should believe. Soon he'd come to my place with lit. He even sends me E-mail. I'm getting a little annoyed by him. Has he been brainwashed or something? Why is he trying to convert me? Is converting me going to somehow validate his new found faith?

Jesus promised to get rid of all the wicked people....
Odin promised to get rid of all the ice giants......
i dont see any ice giants... do you?

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Mar. 27 2012, 9:50 pm

So that's why I don't like to be super "preachy".

wissa

Report this Mar. 27 2012, 10:09 pm

Quote: Beershark @ Mar. 27 2012, 8:29 pm

Quote: DammitJim6200 @ Mar. 27 2012, 7:29 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Jesus promised to get rid of all the wicked people....
Odin promised to get rid of all the ice giants......
i dont see any ice giants... do you?

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Mar. 27 2012, 10:10 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>I'm a Christian, but I don't like to be "preachy". I know how annoying that can be, and THAT kind of stuff probably woulnd't turn anyone to God. My way of preaching God's word is simply through my actions...if you can't tell I'm a Christian by the way I act, then there's something wrong.

>So that's why I don't like to be super "preachy".

I under stand you are young. If so it seems you have gained some wisdom in your youth. If only everybody thought like this.

Thanks

Sora

Report this Mar. 27 2012, 11:03 pm

[quote]

So that's why I don't like to be super "preachy".

[/quote]

Well said, I too am like this. I am a Christian, but Jesus never forced anyone to follow Him. He gave people his message, and then he gave them the option to follow Him or don't. He let them make up their own mind. Which is the reason why I don't shove it down people's throats. If someone has a question I'll certainly be happy to answer it as best as I can, but beating people over the head with a bible isn't going to make them want to become a Christian. You have to be patient and do your best to live by example.

DammitJim6200

Report this Mar. 28 2012, 12:24 am

Quote: Beershark @ Mar. 27 2012, 8:29 pm

Quote: DammitJim6200 @ Mar. 27 2012, 7:29 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Jesus promised to get rid of all the wicked people....
Odin promised to get rid of all the ice giants......
i dont see any ice giants... do you?

No, but I do see a sick world filled with wicked people, there are good people in the world, but Jesus told his apostles about the End times, so stop making silly jokes about ice giants, and heed Jesus' warning.

Tureaz'47

Report this Mar. 28 2012, 1:19 am

All affairs are semi-religious to a degree, even science, as it is based on some type of faith and human intuition.

If you are comfortable about who you are in your beliefs, then it shouldn't be a threat to you.

Being educated in these areas will help you to understand other people and the real reasons for their belief and motives, not just assumptions.

It's strange, being a catalyst for things that move outside.

Beershark

Report this Mar. 28 2012, 4:55 am

Quote: DammitJim6200 @ Mar. 28 2012, 12:24 am

Quote: Beershark @ Mar. 27 2012, 8:29 pm

Quote: DammitJim6200 @ Mar. 27 2012, 7:29 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Jesus promised to get rid of all the wicked people....
Odin promised to get rid of all the ice giants......
i dont see any ice giants... do you?

One persons mythology IS another persons religeon.

How is walking on water any less silly than ridding the world of ice giants?

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

padracin

Report this Mar. 28 2012, 5:55 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>What are your thoughts on this?

Some people believe, and some sects require require, that they should prostletize.  I my private believe is that many of these people are insecure in general and in their faith in particular, and are compensating.  I find this to be particularly true in people who join a church or change their religion in adulthood.

I much prefer those who seek their own enlightenment and let others do the same.

I suspect your friend is being influenced by his new wife who may be trying to control his friendships.

OtakuJo

Report this Mar. 28 2012, 6:09 am

Quote: Beershark @ Mar. 27 2012, 8:29 pm

>Jesus promised to get rid of all the wicked people....

> Odin promised to get rid of all the ice giants......
i dont see any ice giants... do you?

Not outside of the Hokkaido snow festival.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

OtakuJo

Report this Mar. 28 2012, 6:15 am

Quote: Sora @ Mar. 27 2012, 11:03 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>So that's why I don't like to be super "preachy".

That's what I would call the "good" side of Christianity -- when people employ it to make themselves better, but understand that it is not going to work for everyone. To me it is myth for the most part, but myths can have so much value beyond literal truth. And that's something that literalists on both sides so often miss!

No-one can ever make me a Christian. It's just not going to work, as I have thought about it and come to realise that Christianity is not the right path for me. And it never will be. But that does not mean that there are not lessons to be learned -- as long as the person approaches it with a critical mind.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

OtakuJo

Report this Mar. 28 2012, 7:03 am

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

xXLadyDataXx

Report this Mar. 28 2012, 1:35 pm

I'm Catholic (Catholics ARE Christians). As a Catholic I am not here to pass judgment on you, condemn you, or convert you into it because that is not my job. My job is to follow the word of God. I am not one of those "preachy" type Christians as janewayjunkie74656 stated because I think it's overexaggerated and forced which can get really annoying and easily discourages people into becoming  Christians.

In my opinion  I believe that enforcing religious beliefs on others will only lead to rebellion and history has proven it. If someone truely wants to get close to God they have to find him themselves without someone telling them or pressuring them too do so. Plus if someone wants to get close to God it has to be authentic and of course it's their free choice to do so because it makes the experience with God more spiritual and meaningful compared to someone who's doing it just because it's forced or feels like an obligation.

xXLadyDataXx

Report this Mar. 28 2012, 1:36 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ Mar. 28 2012, 7:03 am

>Thing is though, too, how do / should you react when someone is going on about a topic that really doesn't interest you? A lot of the time when someone is doing the whole "save your soul" act, it can get tedious after a while.

>So the question of how to respond to a topic once you have lost interest does come into play.

Simply change the subject or just leave the conversation.