Birth of The Federation 2

JeanAllTrekkie

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 11:49 pm

Ive been a Trekkie since as far as I can remember.  The best game I ever played was / is Star Trek Birth of The Federation.

Birth of The Federation was released in 1999 by Microprose.  It was a 4x Strategy Game set in The Star Trek Universe.  Imagine Master of Orion 2 meets Star Trek.  Or for you casual gamers... Civilization meets Star Trek.

After playing it ... the game became the most addicting and incredible game I ever played.  Imagine running The Federation... deploying The 7th Fleet to defend The Vulcan sector from a Dominion offensive.

I love the game, but after so many years it needs a refresh, especially to get it to work with the latest operating systems.

So its been 13 years since its release.  Wheres the sequel?!

NO WHERE IN SIGHT.  Good Job CBS / Paromount!!!!

I and the rest of Trek gamers have been waiting for Birth of The Federation 2 since 99.  This is a joke.  Making a sequel is a sure fire hit.  Look at the BOTF community site (WHich is still active to this day - 13 years later!!!) http://armadafleetcommand.com/botf/ - there are nearly 17,000 members who love and play this game.  17,000!!!! So if you release a sequel to Star Trek Birth of The Federation... your guaranteed 17,000 in units SOLD.  Not to mention the casual gamers who would purchase and play the title.  I dont understand the logic behind CBS.

Can someone please tell me why we dont have a BOTF 2?

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Mar. 25 2012, 12:25 am

I imagine it didn't sell well, I picked it up myself at Best Buy for a few dollars many years ago when i got it. It was fun, once I got the hang of how to play it, but I always had to turn off random events or the Borg would show up and destroy me totally.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

JeanAllTrekkie

Report this Mar. 25 2012, 12:08 pm

Reguardless if it didnt sell well the first time... you have now around 17,000 guaranteed unit sales if they make a sequel.  Not including the casual gamers which could take it up much higher.

What gets me mad about CBS is that they want to invest little to no money in a game and expect a blockbuster revenue.

They dont know how to use The Star Trek license.  Look at George Lucas.  He put real money into Star Wars games.  Opened the license up to every sort of merchandise possible.  Now you have Star Wars teddy bears, Star Wars Lego, even Family Guy Star Wars movies.  Thats success.  CBS is on the side lines asking "What do I do with Star Trek?"  Well duh.

If I were the head of CBS... I would put Star Trek in every merchandise possible.  Lego Star Trek, Starbucks Star Trek Coffee 'ie. Raktajino', Apps for iPhone & iPad, etc. I would develop 2 - 3 Star Trek games a year.  I would work with fan developers like Star Trek Excalibur, Star Trek Supremacy, etc. to make titles the FANS WANT.  I would host gaming exhibitions at Star Trek conventions and get feedback from fans about what they want in a Star Trek game.

CBS/Paromount does none of this.  And thats what gets me mad.  If you dont wish to use the license give it to someone who will.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Mar. 25 2012, 2:21 pm

Well having a bunch of cheap crap with Star Trek on it doesn't make the franchise any better. And if the first one did not sell well which I expect it didn't that is a very big factor in releasing more. It's all about a company making money not about pleasing a specific group of fans who will play one specific type of game.

I did like the game well enough and wouldn't mind another but I really don't think it is going to happen.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

JeanAllTrekkie

Report this Mar. 25 2012, 6:42 pm

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

No I meant that CBS is currently making cheap crap.... they should put some money into Star Trek gaming.

Doesnt matter if the first one didnt sell well... the 2nd one will considering the huge community that built up around the game.  Nearly 17,000 strong.

And thats exactly CBS's problem they just want to make money and not please the fan community, which leads to them NOT making money.  Cause if they just want to make whatever game THEY feel is right.... and no fans buy it... it ends up as a financial loss.  You got to work WITH the community.  Look at Cryptic.  Their on their forums everyday, reading hundreds of fan posts everyday about STO.  Alot of those posts went to adding content into the game and fixing bugs.

Trust me you need to listen to your community.  If you dont... your going to end up a failure.

JeanAllTrekkie

Report this Mar. 25 2012, 6:42 pm

BTW I like your screen name lol coolz

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Mar. 25 2012, 7:54 pm

I see, however, I don't think any company would make a game because only 17,000 people play it out of the millions of gamers in the world. For fans of the game that sucks but it really isn't very good business.

I agree that, for Star Trek games in particular, they need to be better than they are since out of the many I've played the only one I really really liked was Elite Force and all they did was ripoff Quake.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

explodercide

Report this Jun. 19 2012, 7:35 am

I was a big fan of Birth of the Federation, and happily played it for hours at a time.  Would, of course, love to see a sequel, but I know it's very unlikely.

laker225

Report this Jun. 30 2012, 1:28 pm

The problem with botf was the lack of support. Micoprose dropped support after 1 patch, about a month after release due to hate mail. Microsoft gaming net dropped the game about a year later.

There are a few nice mods for the game at http://www.armadafleetcommand.com  id recomend the UDM, increase in map size, ton of other features. There is a game in the works called Star Trek Supremacy, hard to find their forums and the main page hasnt been updated in years but they were hosted at armadafleetcommand at one time so might be able to dig up a link.

The game is being made by a primary coder and alot of people doing textures and such, but its been in dev for a long time and not sure if we will ever see a release. Kinda the prob with indie games. Last i saw they had everything done but the combat engine and the ai, the most important parts of the game so who knows.

Normal_Nerds

Report this Aug. 04 2012, 11:05 am

I still play on BotF every six months or so; do one or two campaigns and then leave it. The Ultimate Dominion Mod really helped to extend gameplay. I've just started a campaign on the All Ages Mod (larger map and ships from Enterprise to Nemesis).

Whilst a BotF2 would be great, I'd rather see a port of the original to iOS. I'd love to play on my iPhone. Alas, with Microprose liquidated this isn't likely.

matthewhh

Report this Aug. 06 2012, 11:11 pm

never herd of it before, sounds cool, i'm gunna check it out.  and you'll be lucky to get books out of the old timeline.  all new games, and movies, and shows are all gunna be set in the new timeline i bet

FrankieDoo

Report this Sep. 20 2012, 5:26 am

Well,

Greetings, in my opinion, I think these guys at Armada Command site thingny are NOT very serious about BOTF2 or at least,, the ONE guy who is supposed to be coding it is obviously NOT. If they were, dealings with CBS/Paramount would already been done &/or a kit starter BOTF2 Project would be active as of now, donations would already been pouring in.

Users browsing this forum: darmokattanagra