ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

The Strange Case of Trayvon Martin

caltrek2

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2654

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 6:53 am


US NEWS TEENSLAIN 6 MI.JPG


Photo Courtesy of Martin family via Miami Herald


 


http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/21/trayvon-martin-civil-rights-police-chief-resignation


As public anger continues to grow over the shooting death of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin in Florida, the city of Sanford issued a letter with answers to questions put to the police chief to explain why the known killer is still free.


The letter, signed by city manager Norton Bonaparte, reiterates the previous reasoning by Sanford police chief Bill Lee which said he could not carry out an arrest because self-appointed neighbourhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman said he acted in self-defence.


The letter states:



Mr. Zimmerman provided a statement claiming he acted in self defense which at the time was supported by physical evidence and testimony. By Florida Statute, law enforcement was PROHIBITED from making an arrest based on the facts and circumstances they had at the time.



It provided new information about Zimmerman's statement to police: "Zimmerman's statement was that he had lost sight of Trayvon and was returning to his truck to meet the police officer when he says he was attacked by Trayvon."


Up until now, evidence in the public domain – the 911 tape of Zimmerman – suggested he had been following and pursuing Martin.


Lee is facing calls by civil rights leaders to resign. He has insisted that he carried out a "fair and thorough" investigation of the killing and that he cannot arrest Zimmerman because he told police he shot the teenager in self-defence and there was no evidence to contradict his account.


Criticism of the police investigation is also focused on the failure to test Zimmerman for drugs or alcohol, a common practice in homicide investigations, in particular because they tested the teenager after his death.


Police are also facing questions over their failure to reach Martin's girlfriend in Miami, who was talking to him on his cellphone as he was being followed by Zimmerman in the minutes before his death. She said his last words were "What are you following me for?"



Martin's family say the girlfriend's testimony of the call undermines Zimmerman's self-defence claims. There have also been reports that police "corrected" witnesses who say they heard the boy screaming for help.


This week, police admitted to ABC News they may have missed a potential racial slur on the tape of Zimmerman's 911 call to report Martin's "suspicious behaviour".


Ben Jealous, president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People told Miami television channel NBC6 that federal authorities should take over Lee's department because of a "pattern and practice of discrimination" which include cases that precede Martin.


At a highly-charged town hall meeting at Allen Chapel AME Church in Sanford on Tuesday night, Jealous told the 350-strong crowd: "Any chief who would so allow his officers to so mishandle a situation like this has to go. We will ensure that there is a new chief here in Sanford."


Hundreds more gathered outside, chanting "I am Trayvon Martin."


The calls for Lee's resignation came as Florida governor Rick Scott, who attended a meeting with black lawyers and civil rights activists on Tuesday night, said it was time to revisit the state's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law. This allows people to use deadly force if they feel endangered, without requiring them to retreat from the threat.


"If there's something wrong with the law that's in place, I think it's important we address it. I'm going to look at it. If what's happening is it's being abused, that's not right. We all want to live in a safe place," Scott told the Palm Beach Post News.


In New York, a "one million hoodie" march is planned for Wednesday evening, with Martin's parents Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin due to attend, according to NBC New York.


"A black person in a hoodie isn't automatically 'suspicious'," says the event's Facebook page, which calls on people to "show the world we are all Trayvon" by uploading a photograph of themselves on social media sites wearing hoodies with the hashtag #millionhoodies.


Almost 800,000 people have signed a petition on the Change.org website calling for Zimmerman to be prosecuted.


Set up by Martin's parents, it describes him as "our hero". They said: "At the age of nine, Trayvon pulled his father from a burning kitchen, saving his life. He loved sports and horseback riding. At only 17 he had a bright future ahead of him with dreams of attending college and becoming an aviation mechanic. Now that's all gone."


Local pastors and members of the Florida Civil Rights Association planned a rally outside the Florida Division of Licensing in Orlando to demand that Zimmerman's concealed weapons permit be revoked, according to the Orlando Sentinel.


The group leader J Willie David earlier claimed the 28-year-old man is a "clear threat to public safety".


The case is now the subject of three investigations, including the Sanford police department. The US justice department, along with the FBI, launched an inquiry this week, after the case garnered national attention. On Tuesday the Florida state attorney for Seminole and Brevard counties announced that a grand jury would hear evidence.


Mario Tama / Getty Images



Photo from Mario Tama / Getty Images
Photo above is of a protest in regards to the death of Trayvon Martin

Vicsage

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 466

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 7:04 am

They didn't even take Zimmerman's gun to match the bullet.  The only thing that bothers me in defence of Zimmerman is, Al Sharpton is involved.  I trust nothing he says and does.  He will fan the smallest spark into an inferno just to make himself more relevant.


No response must mean you all agree.

wissa

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 4031

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 7:48 am

I'm not sure strange is the right word.


We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

caltrek2

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2654

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 1:00 pm

Quote: wissa @ Mar. 24 2012, 7:48 am

>

>I'm not sure strange is the right word.

>


Ok, I'll bite. What word do you think would be more appropriate?


As Americans, we sometimes suffer from too much pluribus and not enough unum. - Arthur Schelsinger, Jr.

K_tigress

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3761

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 1:10 pm

Smells like more politics to me. 


He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. -Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Beershark

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2590

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 2:03 pm

It's not self defense just because the suspect says it was. Stand Your Ground, as the law is known, does not apply in this case because Zimmerman was following Martin and he shot Martin in the back, meaning the boy was moving away from him at the time. The cops coud have and should have arrested this man. If not that night, certainly by now .


IMHO, tis is a racialy motivated crime followed up with a racially motivated cover up.


CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

caltrek2

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2654

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 2:28 pm

Quote: Beershark @ Mar. 24 2012, 2:03 pm

>

>It's not self defense just because the suspect says it was. Stand Your Ground, as the law is known, does not apply in this case because Zimmerman was following Martin and he shot Martin in the back, meaning the boy was moving away from him at the time. The cops coud have and should have arrested this man. If not that night, certainly by now .

>IMHO, tis is a racialy motivated crime followed up with a racially motivated cover up.

>


Sadly, I tend to agree with your analysis.


Yes, politics is involved with this case. It has to be. One doesn't just let this sort of thing happen without making a political point about it. It is simply not right for an apparently innocent teenager to be shot in this manner. It is impossible not to point that out without getting political about it.   


As Americans, we sometimes suffer from too much pluribus and not enough unum. - Arthur Schelsinger, Jr.

padracin

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 325

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 3:54 pm

I have to wonder why voiceprint analysis isn't being used in this cae.  Or perhaps it is and the police, or the feds, haven't released it yet.  Even if there's no sample of the victim's voice to compare to the 911 tape screaming for help, there's the shooter whose voiceprint can be used for elimination.  Hard to claim you were being attacked by the person screaming for help.


I also have to ponder the question anew of the reach of the federal government so often and recently argued on these boards.  I'm actually not that great a fan of an overreaching federal role.................but without it this poor kid would have been in a grave and the shooter walking without a by your leave.


I understand the facts aren't all in......the WP reports today that the shooter had a broken nose and a serious scalp wound.   But as I fall to sleep at night I can't help thinking that a handsome very young looking teenager was frightened of a persistent adult shadowing him.  It's going to be very hard to know what really happened.


 


 

Vicsage

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 466

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 5:04 pm

Just to correct some misinformation.  Martin was not shot in the back.  He was shot in the chest.  This shot in the back rumor has been going around and I hate when misinformation is used to justify a belief.  I actually believed the shot in the back story till I did a little research.  Also Zimmerman had a broken nose and lacerations on the back of his head.  The police had a witness saying Martin was on top of Zimmerman beating him up.  Another witness says it was different.  You can count on Al Sharpton fanning any spark into a flame.  Were the police wrong in some of their actions. Yes.  Was Zimmerman a racist who followed an innocent kid, freaking him out for no reason?  Yes.  Did he just walk up to Martin and shoot him in the back like they are trying to portray?  I doubt it.


No response must mean you all agree.

Beershark

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2590

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 6:09 pm

Quote: Vicsage @ Mar. 24 2012, 5:04 pm

>

>Just to correct some misinformation.  Martin was not shot in the back.  He was shot in the chest.  This shot in the back rumor has been going around and I hate when misinformation is used to justify a belief.  I actually believed the shot in the back story till I did a little research.  Also Zimmerman had a broken nose and lacerations on the back of his head.  The police had a witness saying Martin was on top of Zimmerman beating him up.  Another witness says it was different.  You can count on Al Sharpton fanning any spark into a flame.  Were the police wrong in some of their actions. Yes.  Was Zimmerman a racist who followed an innocent kid, freaking him out for no reason?  Yes.  Did he just walk up to Martin and shoot him in the back like they are trying to portray?  I doubt it.

>


OK, but Stand Your Ground still does not apply because Zimmerman wasd the instigator and agressor.


CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

caltrek2

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2654

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 6:21 pm

Quote: Vicsage @ Mar. 24 2012, 5:04 pm

>

>Just to correct some misinformation.  Martin was not shot in the back.  He was shot in the chest.  This shot in the back rumor has been going around and I hate when misinformation is used to justify a belief.  I actually believed the shot in the back story till I did a little research.  Also Zimmerman had a broken nose and lacerations on the back of his head.  The police had a witness saying Martin was on top of Zimmerman beating him up.  Another witness says it was different.  You can count on Al Sharpton fanning any spark into a flame.  Were the police wrong in some of their actions. Yes.  Was Zimmerman a racist who followed an innocent kid, freaking him out for no reason?  Yes.  Did he just walk up to Martin and shoot him in the back like they are trying to portray?  I doubt it.

>


Thank you for that follow up. I think this does point to a problem with these kinds of stories and a reason I tend to stay away from discussions of this sort. I do think that there is a lot that we still do not understand about what happened. We should allow the facts to be further investigated and explained. Still, AL Sharpton or no Al Sharpton, I can hardly blame the black community for being outraged by this incident. There definitely seems to be some very disturbing things going on.


As you say,


 


As Americans, we sometimes suffer from too much pluribus and not enough unum. - Arthur Schelsinger, Jr.

wissa

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 4031

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 6:27 pm

Quote: caltrek2 @ Mar. 24 2012, 6:21 pm

Quote: Vicsage @ Mar. 24 2012, 5:04 pm

>

>

>Just to correct some misinformation.  Martin was not shot in the back.  He was shot in the chest.  This shot in the back rumor has been going around and I hate when misinformation is used to justify a belief.  I actually believed the shot in the back story till I did a little research.  Also Zimmerman had a broken nose and lacerations on the back of his head.  The police had a witness saying Martin was on top of Zimmerman beating him up.  Another witness says it was different.  You can count on Al Sharpton fanning any spark into a flame.  Were the police wrong in some of their actions. Yes.  Was Zimmerman a racist who followed an innocent kid, freaking him out for no reason?  Yes.  Did he just walk up to Martin and shoot him in the back like they are trying to portray?  I doubt it.

>

Thank you for that follow up. I think this does point to a problem with these kinds of stories and a reason I tend to stay away from discussions of this sort. I do think that there is a lot that we still do not understand about what happened. We should allow the facts to be further investigated and explained. Still, AL Sharpton or no Al Sharpton, I can hardly blame the black community for being outraged by this incident. There definitely seems to be some very disturbing things going on.

As you say,

 


 


the man admittedly followed the boy with a car and a gun.  If the boy hit him he was acting is self defense


We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

caltrek2

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2654

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 6:30 pm

Quote: padracin @ Mar. 24 2012, 3:54 pm

>

>I have to wonder why voiceprint analysis isn't being used in this cae.  Or perhaps it is and the police, or the feds, haven't released it yet.  Even if there's no sample of the victim's voice to compare to the 911 tape screaming for help, there's the shooter whose voiceprint can be used for elimination.  Hard to claim you were being attacked by the person screaming for help.

>I also have to ponder the question anew of the reach of the federal government so often and recently argued on these boards.  I'm actually not that great a fan of an overreaching federal role.................but without it this poor kid would have been in a grave and the shooter walking without a by your leave.

>I understand the facts aren't all in......the WP reports today that the shooter had a broken nose and a serious scalp wound.   But as I fall to sleep at night I can't help thinking that a handsome very young looking teenager was frightened of a persistent adult shadowing him.  It's going to be very hard to know what really happened.

>


I think your point about a federal role is well taken. There should be basic rights that a federal government protects. Yes, there are instances where the federal government may over reach its role. This is an instance where I think a federal investigation is appropriate. There is a real question as to whether Trayvon's civil rights were violated, that is to say that not only may he have had his life tragically taken, but that the government law enforcement agency may have had racist motives in how it conducted itself. In such instances, well qualified professionals with experience in completely investigating such matters are needed. Trayvon and his surviving family deserve nothing less.


As Americans, we sometimes suffer from too much pluribus and not enough unum. - Arthur Schelsinger, Jr.

DammitJim6200

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6876

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 7:29 pm

Quote: caltrek2 @ Mar. 24 2012, 6:30 pm

Quote: padracin @ Mar. 24 2012, 3:54 pm

>

>

>I have to wonder why voiceprint analysis isn't being used in this cae.  Or perhaps it is and the police, or the feds, haven't released it yet.  Even if there's no sample of the victim's voice to compare to the 911 tape screaming for help, there's the shooter whose voiceprint can be used for elimination.  Hard to claim you were being attacked by the person screaming for help.

>I also have to ponder the question anew of the reach of the federal government so often and recently argued on these boards.  I'm actually not that great a fan of an overreaching federal role.................but without it this poor kid would have been in a grave and the shooter walking without a by your leave.

>I understand the facts aren't all in......the WP reports today that the shooter had a broken nose and a serious scalp wound.   But as I fall to sleep at night I can't help thinking that a handsome very young looking teenager was frightened of a persistent adult shadowing him.  It's going to be very hard to know what really happened.

>

I think your point about a federal role is well taken. There should be basic rights that a federal government protects. Yes, there are instances where the federal government may over reach its role. This is an instance where I think a federal investigation is appropriate. There is a real question as to whether Trayvon's civil rights were violated, that is to say that not only may he have had his life tragically taken, but that the government law enforcement agency may have had racist motives in how it conducted itself. In such instances, well qualified professionals with experience in completely investigating such matters are needed. Trayvon and his surviving family deserve nothing less.


It's not a question of civil rights being violated, they were, and UNARMED Kid going to the store buying Ice tea and skittles SHOT for no reason, Zimmerman should get the death sentence for his execution of Trayvon. 

chr33355

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1551

Report this Mar. 26 2012, 2:46 pm

It seems like the reason Zimmerman wasn't arrested on the spot was because there was at least one witness that back up his self defense story.


 


also it seems the media is using an old photo of treyvon from back when he was in middle school http://www.wagist.com/2012/dan-linehan/was-trayvon-martin-a-drug-dealer


http://cofcc.org/2012/03/more-recent-picture-of-trayvon-martin/


 


Still doesn't change the fact that Zimmerman didn't need to follow Martin which would have prevented this whole thing.  All we can do now is just wait for all the facts to emerge.

Recently logged in

Users browsing this forum: alfamav

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum