TAS on DVD, should I get it?

Roddenberry's Disciple

Report this Mar. 21 2012, 1:26 pm

1.) I have Netflix, and TAS is on there. Also, its on this very site.

"Star Trek" was, is, and will always be "Star Trek" (as in the original series). "The Next Generation" is a spectacular show that I more or less consider equal to the original, and DS9 is pretty good (albeit far overrated by many). The first 8 movies are fine by me too!

Roddenberry's Disciple

Report this Mar. 21 2012, 5:21 pm

Wow, I didn't know The Infinite Vulcan was seen as the worsr episode of the show.

And I've seen The Slaver Weapon one come to think of it and that one was amazing.

So how are the audio and text commentaries?

Beershark

Report this Mar. 22 2012, 12:46 am

Yes you should. The entire series, all 1.5 seasons of it, are included in one box and usually very reasonablely priced. So even if it's just to have it in your collection, it would be a good purchase.

I have all the planet of the apes franchise (movies,live action and animated series). I even have the Marky Mark and the Monkey Bunch version, which absolutely sucked, just because it's a part of something I love over all.

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

CloudMinder2

Report this Mar. 22 2012, 3:48 am

Yes, do get it - i wouldn't bother waiting for Blu-ray - i can't see how it would improve the quality as TAS is from the 70s anyway

as said above there are some great episodes which add to the TOS world (i'll avoid using the word 'canon for fear of starting up the same old rows)

the ensemble cast get a chance to shine - eg Uhura, Sulu etc - and although the poorer episodes aren't much above the averge kids' cartoon, most of them are viewable by adults without one feeling embarrassed about it

"There are always alternatives" Spock

Roddenberry's Disciple

Report this Mar. 22 2012, 9:35 am

Understandable.  Can you imagine if they had the "Yellow Submarine"-esque animation style? haha.

Roddenberry's Disciple

Report this Mar. 22 2012, 11:22 am

Are the Tribbles and Shore Leave sequels good?

guillermo.mejía

Report this Mar. 22 2012, 12:03 pm

Quote: Roddenberry's Disciple @ Mar. 22 2012, 11:22 am

>Are the Tribbles and Shore Leave sequels good?
Both expand the original premise, the Shore Leave sequel moreso than the Tribbles sequel, but it terms of overall goodness, I say the Tribble sequel is the superior  because it feels very very very TOS.

Both are good episodes though, specially with Uhura getting a part of the spotlight in the Shore Leave sequel.

Roddenberry's Disciple

Report this Mar. 22 2012, 6:40 pm

Well, I'll be picking this up!!

I do loathe the tacky 70s version of the theme song in it though

Roddenberry's Disciple

Report this Mar. 26 2012, 7:47 pm

Yes.  But I do hate the tone of the instruments and how generic it all sounds, and this is coming from a singer/guitar player/pianist/songwriter who primarily loves music from the 60s and 70s!

SpockType

Report this Mar. 28 2012, 9:58 am

I have TAS on DVD, and enjoy them. I previously had them all on vhs.

Beershark

Report this Mar. 30 2012, 2:56 am

Quote: SpockType @ Mar. 28 2012, 9:58 am

>I have TAS on DVD, and enjoy them. I previously had them all on vhs.

>And, the DVD set also has the DS9 'Trials and Tribble-ations', and TOS 'The Trouble with Tribbles' episodes - as bonus extras.

I think thats on the TOS dvd remastered set.

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

wissa

Report this Mar. 30 2012, 8:46 pm

Quote: Roddenberry's Disciple @ Mar. 21 2012, 1:26 pm

>A local store has "Star Trek" (The Animated Series) on DVD for about 28 dollars.  I'm considering buying it before it goes, but then there are 3 factors that are leaning me towards not getting it:

>1.) I have Netflix, and TAS is on there. Also, its on this very site.

>2.) I love Blu-Ray and it might be released on the Blu-Ray format at some point.

>3.) I've only seen "Yesteryear" and "The Infinite Vulcan", so I'm unsure about the quality of the other episodes, and I've heard conflicting accounts as to that from various people(s).

>So even though I can already watch TAS right now from my computer, should I still get TAS on DVD? Are there enough bonus features to merit it, and is the show of quality equal to that of "Yesteryear" and "The Infinite Vulcan" in the other episodes?!?

I bought it a couple years ago and just started watching it and I have to say yes.  Buy it.  The animation is lame, and the dialogue isn't polished, but the stories are as good as tos.  Makes you wish they had been tos.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Roddenberry's Disciple

Report this Mar. 31 2012, 3:53 pm

Yeah. I bought it and I'm enjoying it!

It is a shame Star Trek didn't just go on for two more seasons...

But everyone feels that way...(or should, anyway).

spockdatadax

Report this Apr. 01 2012, 4:29 am

It's worth it! What a joy watching old-style animation. You'll hear Majel Barrett, Nichelle Nichols and James Doohan voicing various characters.

SpockType

Report this Apr. 04 2012, 10:07 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>My Animated Series DVD set doesn't have those episodes.

>Is this the set you have?

Yes. (But without that base, unfortunately.)

Oh, you know what? Sorry. It's the TOS remastered boxset that has the tribbles episodes - of TOS, TAS and DS9. I just remembered now (while checking through the TAS disks.)

A mind is like a parachute - it works best when open.

Users browsing this forum: Drunkin Druid