Things that make you cringe

Mitchz95

Report this Mar. 16 2012, 8:23 am

In every franchise, there are awesome moments ( ) and moments that make us facepalm ( ). What are some of the latter?

For some reason, I always hated that exchange between Martok and Dax in "Call to Arms":

MARTOK: "You may continue your work, Commander. I will handle the Jem'Hadar."

DAX: "Who says there's never a Klingon around when you need one?"

MARTOK: "Heh heh heh heh heh..." [closes channel]

Your turn!

CloudMinder2

Report this Mar. 16 2012, 9:31 am

I think the City on the Edge of Forever is embarrassing, because:

"There are always alternatives" Spock

Vger23

Report this Mar. 16 2012, 1:56 pm

I wouldn't be so fast to say "City on the Edge" was the most cringe-worthy element of the entire Trek franchise. Maybe it wasn't your favorite episode, but to put it at the dead bottom of the pile is a bit ridiculous...especially considering it's univeral placement as a classic.

I'd say:

-Plato's Stepchildren

-TNG's awful episodes focused on kids (Suddenly Human, Imaginary Friend, The Bonding, Hero Worship, etc)

-Threshold, Kes, Neelix and large chunks of Star Trek Voyager

-Travis Mayweather's very existance

-Trip getting "pregnant"

-Opening credits to closing credits of "Star Trek Insurrection," with boob jokes, zit gags, little kids, Worf and Picard singing showtunes, and Data acting like an idiot throughout as the significant low-lights.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

cowgirlcadet

Report this Mar. 16 2012, 2:30 pm

-Picard and Data singing the song from HMS Pinafore

-T'pol hitting on Phlox

-Spock hanging from the tree in "This Side of Paradise"

-Most of "Spock's Brain" (But I don't hate it. It's just so incredibly bad it's funny.)

Jim Kirk

Report this Mar. 16 2012, 2:54 pm

TNG showing up on the last epsiode of Enterprise.

Kang - "Only a fool fights in a burning house"

Beershark

Report this Mar. 16 2012, 4:01 pm

And the Children Shall Lead

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Mar. 16 2012, 5:21 pm

"Threshold". All of it.

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Mar. 16 2012, 7:03 pm

Also most of TNG season 1.

OtakuJo

Report this Mar. 16 2012, 9:23 pm

Quote: CloudMinder2 @ Mar. 16 2012, 9:31 am

>I think the City on the Edge of Forever is embarrassing, because:

>- it's an, implausible, hammily-acted melodrama whose plot has more holes than a sieve

>- despite the above, people keep saying it's the best episode - THAT makes me cringe...

heh heh heh you're going to get flack for that!

Dax and Kahn's "romance" in Rejoined. No problem with the gay-factor. But those two had absolutely no chemistry! So hard to believe that they would ever be "in love".

Oh. And, in one word, LUMBA.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

OtakuJo

Report this Mar. 16 2012, 9:25 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Mar. 16 2012, 1:56 pm

>-Silly "goes nowhere, does nothing" Data-centric episodes like Data's Day and In Theory

I thought you said that Star Trek was supposed to explore the "human condition", and that is exactly what those two episodes do. (With varying degrees of success, I'll grant...)

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Vger23

Report this Mar. 17 2012, 5:58 am

I hope the clarification helps you.

Pooneil

Report this Mar. 17 2012, 8:33 am

The Ferengi.

tribblenator999

Report this Mar. 17 2012, 8:47 am

a lot of season 3 of tos made me cringe. especially the children shall lead, this way to paradise, cloud miners, spocks brain, gideon, etc. Season 1 of tng made me cringe. early parts of ds9 made me cringe. various parts of voyager made me cringe. various parts of enterprise made me cringe especially season 4.  THE TNG movies made me cringe too.

Mugatu_for_Two

Report this Mar. 17 2012, 3:21 pm

Troi's oily foot rub from Lloyd Braun in "The Price".

Watching it makes me feel dead inside

OtakuJo

Report this Mar. 17 2012, 4:23 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Mar. 17 2012, 5:58 am

>Star Trek is absolutely supposed to "explore the human condition," but in a fun, sci-fi adventure kind of way...not in a "I could give two $hits" corny mundane kind of way.

>I hope the clarification helps you.

We can agree to disagree and no hard feelings. Data's Day happens to be one of the episodes that I relate to the most.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Users browsing this forum: crimsyn