Bill Maher's wavier

chr33355

Report this Mar. 11 2012, 1:09 am

We're still waiting for the president to call to Sarah Palin.

After Rush Limbaugh referred to Georgetown University Law Student Sandra Fluke as "a slut" on his radio program last week, the Obama Administration wasted little time in coming to her defense.

On Friday, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney confirmed that President Obama had spoken with Fluke. When Carney was asked to describe their conversation, he replied:

They had a very good conversation. I think he, like a lot of people, feels that the kinds of personal attacks that she's -- that have been directed her way are inappropriate. The fact that our political discourse has become debased in many ways is bad enough. It is worse when it's directed at a private citizen who was simply expressing her views on a matter of public policy.

Although Rush would issue an apology the following day it wasn't enough for longtime Obama adviser David Axelrod who said, "I think what Rush Limbaugh said about that young woman was not only vile and degrading to her, but to women across the country."

So what do Messrs. Carney, Axelrod and, for that matter, President Obama have to say for Bill Maher?

It is no secret that Maher despises conservatives especially of the female variety. Nearly a year ago, Maher delighted both himself and his left-wing audiences when he called Sarah Palin "a dumb twat" and "a c--t" -- words even harsher than the ones Rush used against Fluke.

Let us remember that Carney lambasted Limbaugh for being inappropriate towards Fluke because she is a "private citizen who was simply expressing her views on a matter of public policy." Well, the last I checked Sarah Palin is a private citizen who expresses her views on public policy. Does the Obama Administration believe Palin should be afforded the same courtesy as Fluke? Do they believe what Maher said about Palin was inappropriate? Or does the Obama Administration believe that some points of view more equal than others?

Let us also remember that Axelrod wasn't satisfied with Rush's apology because what he said about Fluke "was not only vile and degrading to her, but to women across the country." So does Axelrod also believe that Maher said things about Sarah Palin that "were not only vile and degrading to her, but to women across the country?"

Or has Bill Maher been granted a waiver by the Obama Administration for saying degrading things about Sarah Palin and other conservative women who do not agree with their policies? Consider how Maher bragged that he could get away with what he said because he is on HBO while Rush is at the mercy of commercial sponsors. This surely sounds like a man who has been granted dispensation from the highest authority.

After all, it was with great fanfare last month that Maher donated $1 million to Priorities USA Action, an Obama Super PAC. As the large check was being hauled out on stage, Maher said to his audience at Yahoo headquarters in Silicon Valley, "I think Mitt Romney's going to get the (Republican) nomination, and then I hope Obama beats him like a runaway sister-wife." Well, it's good to know that a joke about domestic violence (not to mention Mormonism) is such a hit with liberal audiences. Of course, had Rush joked about domestic abuse (not to mention Muslims) the very same audience would rise in unison to accuse him of hate speech.

Now I, for one, did not like what Rush said about Fluke. In one fell swoop, he shifted the issue from the heavy handedness of government in compelling religious organizations to provide insurance coverage for contraceptives to the heavy handedness of Rush Limbaugh in casting aspersions upon someone for taking a point of view which differs from his own. His intervention was not helpful and Rush was ultimately right to make amends to Fluke. Unlike Axelrod, I accept both Rush's apology and his reasons for doing so. As Rush put it:

I ended up descending to their level. It's important not to be like them, ever, particularly in fighting them. The old saw, you never descend to the level of your opponent or they win. That was my error last week.

Of course, it should come as no surprise that Axelrod would not accept Rush's apology. The Left has wanted Rush excised from the airwaves for nearly a quarter century. Now Rush has stumbled and they see blood in the water. So at this point, the Obama Administration is about as willing to accept Rush's apology as Afghan President Hamid Karzai is willing to accept the Obama Administration's apology last week for the accidental Koran burnings at Bagram Air Base. Karzai wants to put American soldiers on trial while liberals yearn to do the same with Rush. Both proceedings would be sure to have all the fairness found in a kangaroo court.

Unfortunately, I suspect that this double standard is not likely to be raised by the White House Press Corps (with perhaps the possible exceptions of Jake Tapper at ABC or Ed Henry at FNC). If I were a member of that scrum, I would ask Jay Carney the two following questions, "In light of Rush Limbaugh's apology to Sandra Fluke for his inappropriate comments, why didn't you call upon Bill Maher to apologize for his inappropriate comments against Sarah Palin a year ago? Will President Obama now publicly call for the Super PAC acting on his behalf to return the $1 million donated by Maher?"

When it comes to Sarah Palin and other conservative women being pilloried for expressing their views on public policy, I don't think the Obama Administration will put the money where Bill Maher's mouth is. In other words, the Obama Administration has no waivers for conservative women like Sarah Palin.

Broadstorm

Report this Mar. 11 2012, 4:09 am

While I won't comment on the exact words Maher used, I do see 2 major distinctions here.  Maher is a comedian, but Limbaugh is a spindoctor.  Maher made jokes about a politician who is compulsive about drawing attention to herself, and whose supporters hijacked a Wikipedia page to rewrite history as if doing so would make her any less wrong, but Limbaugh attacked someone who was not normally in the spotlight, but just one time spoke up to comment about health issues that do not necessarily include sexual activity.

Of course there are plenty of double standards on the other side.  Hannity constantly complains about "violent rhetoric" but frequent guest on his show talk about violence as how to deal with liberals, or talk about putting a gun in the president's mouth.

chr33355

Report this Mar. 11 2012, 8:22 am

So what your saying is it is okay to call a woman but maher called Palin if you are a comedian?  Don't make me laugh it is crap like that the keeps the double standards going.  And yes controceptives do include sexual activity as the most of the other benefits are about reducing the symptoms of menstration not preventing anysort of disease or health issue.  While I do not agree with Limbaugh choice of words I do agree with his premise that controceptives are cheap and do not need to be covered by healthcare plans especisally by religous organizations that find them againsts their beliefs.  Now you make a claim of some of Hannity's guest talking about violence I am sure you have some actual examples to share.

wissa

Report this Mar. 11 2012, 10:14 am

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Mar. 11 2012, 10:53 am

I don't know whether to laugh or puke at the duplicity / hipocracy of the ProRegressives.   It's okay for them to be vulgar and demean their enemies, but if someone not in their elitist camp goes anywhere down the line of offending a ProRegressive.... they cry out.

chr33355

Report this Mar. 11 2012, 1:02 pm

Quote: wissa @ Mar. 11 2012, 10:14 am

>First of all it's amused me all the hard core conservatives make threads about every little issue on a regular basis yet have avoided the topic that has been burning up the internet for more than a week.     I find it hysterical now that an article has finally been posted but it somehow tries to mitigate what Limbaugh did. Mitigate I don't get that feeling at all it is pointing out a smiliar situation in which liberals appeared to be okay with.

>Are republicans really so morally bankrupt that they can't just denounce something someone says without whining "they started it!"?  I watched Michelle Bachman on Piers Morgan last week and it was astounding the lengths she went to to avoid saying simply that Limbaugh shouldn't have said what he did.  It's almost like the republicans are afraid of him.  Well I do think they are scared of him as a large part of their base listens to him.  It is stupid if he says something stupid, wrong, or insulting he needs to be called on it.

>As to Mayer, he's an asshat.  He's been fired for being an asshat in the past.  And he was criticized at the time, including by democrats.  He is, however, a commedian.  He is not someone who is seen as a legitimate political voice or is he someone who appears to actually influence anyone's politics.   Except is not a comedian he is a polical comentator who uses humor to make his points.  He is regularly interviewed by CNN to give his opinion on various events and issues

>Secondly, one you run for governor, then vice president, then have a tv show, you are no longer a private citizen.  How can anyone actually be so stupid as to not understand that.  So that makes it okay to be called a c*nt?

>Also, anyone who thinks Limbaugh's apology was actually genuine, or even a real apolagy doesn't read well.  It's just more of the same schoolyard "they started it".  I wonder if he's been listening to the conversations that go on between me and my son's most days.  That is pretty much the same argument they always use   Given that Limbaugh has apologized (be it really genuine or not) and Maher has not and you seem okay with that is telling about you.

It seems that Wissa is okay with calling a woman a c*nt if she is a public figure and the comments are made by a former comedian.

wissa

Report this Mar. 11 2012, 1:29 pm

Quote: chr33355 @ Mar. 11 2012, 1:02 pm

Quote: wissa @ Mar. 11 2012, 10:14 am

I believe I said he was an asshat and always has been and that the two aren't really comparable.

I belive what you are saying is that Mayer's 4 year old comments somehow excuse Limbaugh's comments.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

chr33355

Report this Mar. 11 2012, 1:41 pm

Quote: wissa @ Mar. 11 2012, 1:29 pm

Quote: chr33355 @ Mar. 11 2012, 1:02 pm

Quote: wissa @ Mar. 11 2012, 10:14 am

Since Limbaugh apoligized and maher hasn't i am willing to forgive limbaugh for his asshatness.

wissa

Report this Mar. 11 2012, 2:11 pm

Quote: chr33355 @ Mar. 11 2012, 1:41 pm

Quote: wissa @ Mar. 11 2012, 1:29 pm

Quote: chr33355 @ Mar. 11 2012, 1:02 pm

Quote: wissa @ Mar. 11 2012, 10:14 am

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

petitmann

Report this Mar. 11 2012, 3:33 pm

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Mar. 11 2012, 5:06 pm

Quote: petitmann @ Mar. 11 2012, 3:33 pm

>i love my bc pills. i am also a slut. who cares? doesnt that prove that i really do need my pills?

This has nothing to do with needs (or rights.)  If you choose to pay for them instead of forcing someone else (against the 1st Amendment of the US Contitution) who has a religious issue with it...., that's the issue.

chr33355

Report this Mar. 11 2012, 6:13 pm

Quote: wissa @ Mar. 11 2012, 2:11 pm

Quote: chr33355 @ Mar. 11 2012, 1:41 pm

Quote: wissa @ Mar. 11 2012, 1:29 pm

Quote: chr33355 @ Mar. 11 2012, 1:02 pm

Quote: wissa @ Mar. 11 2012, 10:14 am

if Limbaugh's apolagy was an actual appology and not an opportunity for finger pointing and if he didn't go back to mysoginistic rants the very next broadcast you might have a point.   So you have examples of these rants to share because I havn't found them yet, but then I don't listen to Rush as I find him pompus and unfunny.  Now did you know that Maher also implied that Palin's daughter was a slut by saying the title of her book should read "Whoops There's is a D**k in Me http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2011/06/25/bill-maher-bristol-palin-s-t-doesnt-fall-far-bat but that is okay because Maher is a comedian.  Oh and reguardless if you find Limbaughs apology genuine or not he still gave one where as Maher is bragging he doesn't have to

you seem to be missing the bigger picture of what he said here.  He's implying that all women are sluts of they are on the pill and every woman who thinks their health plan should cover all their doctor prescribed prescriptions is a prostitute.  Oh I know the bigger picture of what he said which is why I don't agree with it.  However I do agree with the over all premise that a religious insitiution shouldn't be force to support something that is aginst their religious beliefs.

petitmann

Report this Mar. 11 2012, 6:51 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Mar. 11 2012, 5:06 pm

Quote: petitmann @ Mar. 11 2012, 3:33 pm

religion? lets keep church and state separate. should the insurance COMPANY (not some1) pay for my birth control or my unwanted pregnancy? lets say im not just a slut but im broke too. i can have welfare and medicaid pay for not only my baby but my drugs and tattoos too.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Mar. 11 2012, 6:58 pm

Quote: petitmann @ Mar. 11 2012, 6:51 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Mar. 11 2012, 5:06 pm

Quote: petitmann @ Mar. 11 2012, 3:33 pm

Obama doesn't want to separate church & state in the context that Jefferson originally wrote it.  Obama wants to control the church, even trying to appoint his own church leaders and tell the church what doctrine to teach.

BTW - many of these churches are self insured, which means that the church is being told to fund things that are against their religious beliefs.  And even those that aren't self insured are still paying the premiums...

As for your welfare/medicaid part.... We need to stop these this entitlement cancer and make people responsible for their own choices.  Entitlements are the majority of the Federal budget and growing.

wissa

Report this Mar. 11 2012, 7:16 pm

Quote: chr33355 @ Mar. 11 2012, 6:13 pm

Quote: wissa @ Mar. 11 2012, 2:11 pm

Quote: chr33355 @ Mar. 11 2012, 1:41 pm

Quote: wissa @ Mar. 11 2012, 1:29 pm

Quote: chr33355 @ Mar. 11 2012, 1:02 pm

Quote: wissa @ Mar. 11 2012, 10:14 am

Again there may be a valid argument there.  However Limbaugh isn't interested in making it.  He is only interested in silencing his opposition by slut shaming them.

I know most people don't support him or his tactics, but this guy, by proxy, makes anyone supporting the Republican party or position look like asses.   Why are people defending him instead of pointing out what an ass he is by making excuses for him?

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image