ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Tactical Officer Color

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1401

Report this Mar. 04 2012, 10:45 pm

I just noticed (I'm slow I guess) that the tactical officer is red but tactical and security fall under the operations division so why did they change it? Why not just call it the command division like it is?


Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

guillermo.mejía

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2852

Report this Mar. 05 2012, 8:22 am

Quote: OneDamnMinuteAdmiral @ Mar. 04 2012, 10:45 pm

>

>I just noticed (I'm slow I guess) that the tactical officer is red but tactical and security fall under the operations division so why did they change it? Why not just call it the command division like it is?

>
Hey, you're right! My guess would be to keep it on par with what would appear in the 2009 movie, as both were released in the same timeframe. All the general fans that were sucked in by the new movie know more about the colors in TOS than TNG.


That's the best I got. And honestly I always prefered Yellow/Gold - Command and Red - Everything that's not Science or Medical.


"Aye. And if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon." - Scotty, The Miracle Worker since 2265.

cowgirlcadet

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 788

Report this Mar. 05 2012, 9:58 am

Red works for me. I'm kind of a TOS chick anyway. Switching the colors of security and command makes no sense. A Red Shirt is still a Red Shirt, regardless what color they're actually wearing.

Matthias Russell

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7705

Report this Mar. 05 2012, 3:47 pm

I don't understand how they worked out the tactical/command color code in STO.  They aren't good about attention to detail.


OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1401

Report this Mar. 05 2012, 7:24 pm

I know I'm sliw on the uptake but I only noticed it when I was watching Voyager and saw Tuvok, and was like, "hey he's in yellow".


The TOS switch back would work except they have Engineers in yellow. So I guess they just wanted red to be Tactical instead of calling it command. My guess is they watched season one of TNG and saw Worf, remembered his promotion, but forgot the color change. Maybe?


Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Broadstorm

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 828

Report this Mar. 05 2012, 8:54 pm

Quote: OneDamnMinuteAdmiral @ Mar. 05 2012, 7:24 pm

>

>My guess is they watched season one of TNG and saw Worf, remembered his promotion, but forgot the color change. Maybe?

>


Unlikely, unless they focused on the last 3 episodes of TNG season 1.


I remember a post in which someone posted some pics, and after I commented on the color scheme, someone mentioned that the color schemes were customizable.

guillermo.mejía

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2852

Report this Mar. 06 2012, 6:28 am

Quote: Broadstorm @ Mar. 05 2012, 8:54 pm

Quote: OneDamnMinuteAdmiral @ Mar. 05 2012, 7:24 pm

>

>

>My guess is they watched season one of TNG and saw Worf, remembered his promotion, but forgot the color change. Maybe?

>

Unlikely, unless they focused on the last 3 episodes of TNG season 1.

I remember a post in which someone posted some pics, and after I commented on the color scheme, someone mentioned that the color schemes were customizable.

They are customizable on your character and crew, but still when you create the character and you pick his division, the set dept. colors are there. Also, in Space combat, the colors on the stations for your crew are color coded, so the depat. colors are always implied, regardless of what you make them for your crew.


"Aye. And if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon." - Scotty, The Miracle Worker since 2265.

Matthias Russell

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7705

Report this Mar. 06 2012, 1:12 pm

Mention this in the STO boards and they may fix this in a future update.  Sometimes they fix things like this when enough people complain.


Mitchz95

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1830

Report this Mar. 06 2012, 1:46 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Mar. 06 2012, 1:12 pm

>

>Mention this in the STO boards and they may fix this in a future update.  Sometimes they fix things like this when enough people complain.

>


What's there to fix? As I recall TNG changed the uniform colors and nobody cares about that.


"The future is in the hands of those who explore... And from all the beauty they discover while crossing perpetually receding frontiers, they develop for nature and for humankind an infinite love." - Jacques Yves Cousteau

Matthias Russell

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7705

Report this Mar. 06 2012, 4:32 pm

Spacedock didn't NEED to be fixed either but if enough players prefer something, they sometimes make changes.


Mitchz95

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1830

Report this Mar. 06 2012, 4:39 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Mar. 06 2012, 4:32 pm

>

>Spacedock didn't NEED to be fixed either but if enough players prefer something, they sometimes make changes.

>


I'm not disputing that, I'm just saying that there's a precedent for changed uniform colors. Besides, I think the STO colors fit - red for the more aggressive career path, yellow for the more defensive, and blue for the more creative one. Plus it's easier to distinguish an engineering officer from a security one.


And I could be wrong, but I believe it's possible to change the color of your uniform regardless of your career path.


"The future is in the hands of those who explore... And from all the beauty they discover while crossing perpetually receding frontiers, they develop for nature and for humankind an infinite love." - Jacques Yves Cousteau

Matthias Russell

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7705

Report this Mar. 06 2012, 8:32 pm

Oh yeah, you can change your captain and BO uniform colors. My engineer captain always wears red but your general crew follow the STO color standards.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1401

Report this Mar. 06 2012, 8:43 pm

I wasn't trying to start an argument or anything I just noticed they called it the wrong thing is all. Mitch's explanation seems reasonable to me. Maybe in 24 whatever Tactical became part of the command track?


Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

guillermo.mejía

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2852

Report this Mar. 07 2012, 7:20 am

Quote: OneDamnMinuteAdmiral @ Mar. 06 2012, 8:43 pm

>

>I wasn't trying to start an argument or anything I just noticed they called it the wrong thing is all. Mitch's explanation seems reasonable to me. Maybe in 24 whatever Tactical became part of the command track?

>
Starfleet IS at war on all fronts, so the Tactical career path could be different in the 2400's.


I don't want it to change though. I don't see how Security and Engineering relate, other than they have always been lumped up as Operations Department functions. I'm happy with my Egineering Commander still wearing yellowish/gold.


"Aye. And if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon." - Scotty, The Miracle Worker since 2265.

W. T. Riker

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 440

Report this Mar. 14 2012, 7:46 pm

It's a game, dude. don't expect it to be entirely canon. aside from that, i have no clue.

Recently logged in

Users browsing this forum: Commander_Zelkar

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum