Things you would change about TOS:

Beershark

Report this Mar. 03 2012, 12:13 am

This Discussion was started on another site I frequent. I did not start the thread and these are not my words.

Looking back, what would you change about TOS, that would smooth over the diffrences and decrepencies and bring it in line with TNG, DS9, and VOY? My pick get rid of all the messups regarding the who was in charge, im mean in the series they referance United Earth, mentions of Earth colonys instead of Federation colonys, the USEPA, and just have it as the Federation from the get-go, also i would change that each starship had a different insignia, and just have it as the Starfleet chevron that we have seen since the first movie.

My reaction...."ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR VULCAN MIND?"

Thought I would bring the topic here.

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

RoTrekkie

Report this Mar. 03 2012, 12:30 am

I'd add more two-parters and make season 3 a full story arc involving the Klingons or Romulans.

serenityncc880

Report this Mar. 03 2012, 12:57 pm

I am new to star trek and have just completed TOS. Do star dates start making more sense in later series or is it all just random numbers? Does the color of the uniform start having a more concrete meaning as well? I was confused as to what rank or sector each color refered too.

bvbpl

Report this Mar. 03 2012, 8:14 pm

Wait, why would anyone change TOS to "smooth over discrepancies" found in later serieses?  That's putting the cart before the horse.  Change the later series to comply w/ TOS.

May 4th, 2012 will be the thirtieth anniversary of the release of Duran Duran’s epic single “Hungry Like the Wolf.” Where were you when these young men from Birmingham ushered in the ecstatic era of New Wave and changed the face of music forever? How will you mark this seminal anniversary?

Broadstorm

Report this Mar. 04 2012, 4:42 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>We don't want to go insane and have everyone in their undies in every 2nd episode like ENT did.

Just because a guy's in his underwear, you think the worst.

Captain Shaw

Report this Mar. 04 2012, 5:22 am

There are too many uniform overhauls throughout TOS and its corresponding films. The uniforms, as seen in the Pike pilot throughout the first season of TOS should hae been kept for continuity's sake, at least until the "The Wrath of Khan (TOS) with the introduction of the Monster Maroons." Even the 'wrap' style Captain Kirk flaunted prior in "The Enemy Within (TOS)" was unnaceptable.

Another cosmetic change would have been the bridge of the original Enterprise from TOS, not including the refit or "A." Mr. Roddenberyy should have had the centerpiece of the action as bright as his signature planet sets. Maybe I'm just too technical.

Captain Shaw

Gabriella-Kirk

Report this Mar. 04 2012, 2:19 pm

Hmmmm what to change about TOS......Its too perfect to be changed! Except maybe Kirk could have a few more scenes with no shirt on....

Gabriella-Kirk

Report this Mar. 04 2012, 2:19 pm

CloudMinder2

Report this Mar. 04 2012, 5:19 pm

"There are always alternatives" Spock

Roddenberry's Disciple

Report this Mar. 04 2012, 6:10 pm

I have no idea why the Klingons in "The Trouble with Tribbles" didn't even have facial hair except for the Lieutenant (or whatever) who started the fight with Scotty, and why Koloth didn't even have the golden sash.

If I had a time machine I would go to 1968 and tell NBC's executives that I'm from 2012 and that Star Trek is the biggest success the network will ever have, even above three sitcoms dealing with a bar, a psychiatrist, and a group of neurotic and immoral New Yorkers....

If only the show had more money and attention! It would have then:

1.) Spent more for writing and settings, avoiding the camp horrors such as "Spock's Brain" and the limits on the show during its final season.

2.) More attention on the show and its growing fan base.

Atleast we got TAS to sort of act as a "not really/kinda" 4th Season of TOS.

"Star Trek" was, is, and will always be "Star Trek" (as in the original series). "The Next Generation" is a spectacular show that I more or less consider equal to the original, and DS9 is pretty good (albeit far overrated by many). The first 8 movies are fine by me too!

Beershark

Report this Mar. 05 2012, 1:38 am

Quote: CloudMinder2 @ Mar. 04 2012, 5:19 pm

>I would change virtually nothing about TOS, but it does annoy me that they abandoned the original Romulan Bird of Prey design and had them using Klingon ships instead, then later on in the films confused it even more by having a Klingon Bird of Prey.

Yeah, good point. By later series and films the Romulan designs had evolved, but not so much with the Klingon versions.

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

guillermo.mejía

Report this Mar. 05 2012, 7:11 am

I'm a simple guy.

In "The Ultimate Computer" I'd want more variaty than four Constitution Class starships involved, for a total of 5 in the same place! There's only 12 of them in the fleet after all. Can't just bunch them up like that. I'd have another design...prefably what we all know as the Daedalus Class or a a TOS style Miranda Class.

At least one female captain. Not exactly something that could be done in the 60's I know. But still something that would have been quite interesting to see.

Finally, more Andorians!

Pooneil

Report this Mar. 05 2012, 9:00 am

I would have liked to see more episodes with McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, Chekov, and Sulu as the heroes, instead of just Kirk and Spock. Obviously Shatner would have hated it, but that's not my problem. The only real "discrepancy" I can see between TOS and the spinoffs is the lack of a strong ensemble: most of the crew were just Kirk's sidekicks.

Commander_Zelkar

Report this Mar. 05 2012, 9:36 am

Produce and air seasons 4 through 27.

There's a kind of freedom in being totally screwed, you know things can't get any worse.

cowgirlcadet

Report this Mar. 05 2012, 11:32 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Just because a guy's in his underwear, you think the worst.

I'm not objecting to it per say in ENT just that it should have been spread out more evenly throughout all the series.

I know Kirk had his shirt off a lot of the time but frankly personally I didn't fancy him all that much and it was only once I think we had McCoy and Spock even down to their undershirts and only once that Spock had his shirt off completely. Ummmmmm not that I'm some pervert keeping track of these things.

Was Spock ever shirtless? Gotta watch that one again. What's the name of it?

"Be one with the horse." - Kirk to Spock, The Final Frontier.

Users browsing this forum: King B IX