Will JJ Abrams do TNG, DS-9, and/or Voyager films in the new Trek Alternate Universe?

USS Liverpool

Report this Mar. 01 2012, 9:02 am

Though JJ Abrams has begun filming on ST2, it dawned on me that if somewhere down the road, we could see a TNG film set in this Alternate Universe that has been affected and molded by events that have been and will be covered in these 2 new TOS films. Maybe a pre-TNG film, like ST1, where they are all at Starfleet Academy. But, then how would Picard fit in because he is much older? Maybe, he would be an instructor @ SA? Got to have Boothby in there, too! Cast another actor to play him.

Do you think they would do DS-9 and/or Voyager films? If not, why not have a TNG film set in this new Alternate Universe (seperated from the Mirror, Mirror Universe) and incoroparte characters from DS-9 and Voyager in bit or major roles? Perhaps, in this universe the characters exist but events and history may turn out different. Say Voyager doesn't get lost in the Delta Quadrant. There may be no Voyager or Intrepid Class starships. No Maquis. No DS-9. Who will exist and be born? Who won't exist? Their history and future is yet to be determined and written.

Mitchz95

Report this Mar. 01 2012, 10:13 am

Will he do it? Not a chance.

Do I want him to do it? Not a chance as well.

Those shows were great on their own, and they don't need to be rebooted. I only accept the TOS reboot because it might have been the only way to get Trek back.

guillermo.mejía

Report this Mar. 01 2012, 11:57 am

Well that seems like a silly notion...

This new TOS Reality has barely been explored and already you want TNG redone?

DS92Sisko

Report this Mar. 01 2012, 1:26 pm

Let's see, STTNG was set 78 years after KSM/Generations, so 78 years minus Picards age in "Encounter at Farpoint", minus 25 years of KSM adventures, so that means Picard would be born about 50-60 years after the 2009 "Star Trek".....I don't see how it could ever happen!!!!!   Alternate Universe Possibility....maybe Yvette Picard has a headache that night this time around????

Matthias Russell

Report this Mar. 01 2012, 2:23 pm

No.  He is planning on 3 TOS-era movies and he's out.  Of course Michael Bay said the same thing about transformers.

OtakuJo

Report this Mar. 01 2012, 4:27 pm

Highly doubtful -- and honestly I don't think it's something I want to see.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

KALEL_10

Report this Mar. 01 2012, 4:55 pm

Let's face it: SOMEBODY's gonna do it. No matter what we say, some hot shot director/producer probably has the same idea. Which all toghether, is not a completely bad idea. All one needs to make it good are good writers and a good story idea. They're probably going to feel out how this next Trek movie (and the possible third one) goes first. I'd be willing to check it out.

Mitchz95

Report this Mar. 01 2012, 4:57 pm

If they do it I'll give it a try, but I have a feeling it'll bomb. Maybe I'm just spoiled with the "classic" Trek.

Vger23

Report this Mar. 01 2012, 5:58 pm

Without trying to sound mean, it absolutely befuddles me that anyone would think that this is even CLOSE to being possible.

Guys, honestly, I would bet my house and my car that TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT will never be redone as a movie franchise. Ever.

Ever.

It just isn't going to happen. Are people really that far removed from reality that they honestly believe that there is a liklihood of this happening?

OtakuJo

Report this Mar. 01 2012, 9:40 pm

I would suggest setting a time limit so you can at least get a pay-off on that bet. But yeah I do agree.

It may be that some exec. somewhere is passing a few quiet moments, speculating to themselves on how the later Treks might pan out in the JJ timeline, but I don't see them being able to pitch that idea successfully any time soon.

DS9, Voyager (& even to an extent TNG) do not enjoy the level of prominence that TOS has within popular culture.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Blockman

Report this Mar. 02 2012, 4:14 am

If they do Khan, then they will do TNG.

Count on it.

They always follow popular culture. and both TOS\Kirk\Khan, and TNG\Picard are among the biggest staples.

Until we know for sure what's in the next movie, we'll have to wait and see which direction they take the franchise.

Either brand new universe. Or the way of The Joker in the Dark Knight. - Reimagining already established lore for the mass pop appeal.

guillermo.mejía

Report this Mar. 02 2012, 5:52 am

Why DO they have to do it?

Did ENT leave fans so scarred they never want to see another originl idea ever??!!?!?!

No TNG show HAS to or SHOULD be redone. TOS is the classic, the standard by which all other live shows are measured and it was the logical choice to reenergize a franchise.

What logic would a movie exec, who likes money and has a generla knowledge of this franchise, have for wanting to remake any TNG??????

I can't stress enough how out of touch with reality this notion of rebooting TNG sounds right now.

Blockman

Report this Mar. 02 2012, 6:08 am

lol. are you talking to me? I don't think they're going to do it. I don't know what they're going to do.

but chances are if they're going to head down one path (reimagining popular ST lore villains), then they'll easily head down the other...

guillermo.mejía

Report this Mar. 02 2012, 6:18 am

Wasn't addressing anyone specific.

Just letting off some steam at the idea of another Captain picard.

Matthias Russell

Report this Mar. 02 2012, 7:43 am

Such projects would be so far in the future, they are less worth discussing than a new tv series.

Hey! I have a question- Is a unicorn still a horse?