ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Netflix and Star Trek

SeptuagintXXX

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 79

Report this Feb. 29 2012, 4:38 pm

The only reason I still have Netflix is because every episode is streamed.  Everything else about Netflix pretty much sucks. Their movie selection sucks.  I watched Battlestar Galactica and Spartacus and Babylon 5(before they got rid of it) and some other shows, which were all pretty good. 


 


Are any of you Netflix subscribers just for trek?

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Feb. 29 2012, 6:18 pm

No, Netflix is awesome. I'm not so sure how you can say that the selection sucks when basically every movie ever made is available for rental.


Even just streaming, besides all the Trek stuff (which I own anyway), there's BSG old and new, Firefly, Twilight Zone, Sliders, Quantum Leap, 24, Twin Peaks, Lost, Dollhouse, Buck Rogers, SeaQuest DSV, William Shatner's The Captains, Mission: Impossible, Stargate Universe, Airwolf, Rescue Me, The Wonder Years, MacGyver, Jericho, Friday Night Lights, Walking Dead, Heroes, Caprica, The Universe, Buffy the Vampier Slayer.


 


I guess I'm not sure how much more you'd want for reletively little $ per month...espeically if you consider what it costs to buy entire TV series or to rent them from video stores.


Hard to please much?

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1401

Report this Mar. 01 2012, 2:42 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Feb. 29 2012, 6:18 pm

>

>No, Netflix is awesome. I'm not so sure how you can say that the selection sucks when basically every movie ever made is available for rental.

>Even just streaming, besides all the Trek stuff (which I own anyway), there's BSG old and new, Firefly, Twilight Zone, Sliders, Quantum Leap, 24, Twin Peaks, Lost, Dollhouse, Buck Rogers, SeaQuest DSV, William Shatner's The Captains, Mission: Impossible, Stargate Universe, Airwolf, Rescue Me, The Wonder Years, MacGyver, Jericho, Friday Night Lights, Walking Dead, Heroes, Caprica, The Universe, Buffy the Vampier Slayer.

>I guess I'm not sure how much more you'd want for reletively little $ per month...espeically if you consider what it costs to buy entire TV series or to rent them from video stores.

>Hard to please much?

>


What he said, plus Law & Order and Law & Order SVU


Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Matthias Russell

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7705

Report this Mar. 01 2012, 2:21 pm

They stopped posting any new tv shows and movies.  However I use it for a variety of older shows I want to watch or rewatch.


Primarily, I use netflix for Star Trek though.  If it weren't for trek, I might discontinue my subscription.  I discontinued my mail-in subscription when they split the services though I will probably renew next month to watch all the Avengers prequels and a few other movies.


For fresh material, you need a Hulu subscription.  Since I don't have cable, the only way to get Big Bang Theory, the only current sitcom I care for, i have to pirate it.


FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46309

Report this Mar. 01 2012, 3:48 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>

>

>They stopped posting any new tv shows and movies.  However I use it for a variety of older shows I want to watch or rewatch.

>Primarily, I use netflix for Star Trek though.  If it weren't for trek, I might discontinue my subscription.  I discontinued my mail-in subscription when they split the services though I will probably renew next month to watch all the Avengers prequels and a few other movies.

>For fresh material, you need a Hulu subscription.  Since I don't have cable, the only way to get Big Bang Theory, the only current sitcom I care for, i have to pirate it.

>

Why pay for Netflix to watch Star Trek when you can see it here, cbs.com or at tv.com for free?

I was just going to say the same thing - many of these shows are available for free from Hulu or the networks.  (Yes, even the old ones.)


bvbpl

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 189

Report this Mar. 01 2012, 4:20 pm

I love Netflix.  There streaming selection might not be ideal for contemporary mainstream American movies and TV, but they do offer a huge number of forgien films, documentaries, and independent movies that are well worth a look.  Plus, they don't list every movie they have on the opening screen [of my Xbox], but you can always do a search for one.


Plus, I mean Twin Peaks, Law and Order, and EVERY Star Trek series for ten bucks a month?  That's an awesome deal.  I wish they'd bring back B5 on streaming though.


 


Desdinova777 said: Why pay for Netflix to watch Star Trek when you can see it here, cbs.com or at tv.com for free?


My answer is that I can get Netflix on my TV via my Xbox.  I'd much rather watch TV on my TV than on my laptop.


 


 


 


May 4th, 2012 will be the thirtieth anniversary of the release of Duran Duran’s epic single “Hungry Like the Wolf.” Where were you when these young men from Birmingham ushered in the ecstatic era of New Wave and changed the face of music forever? How will you mark this seminal anniversary?

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Mar. 01 2012, 6:06 pm

Quote: bvbpl @ Mar. 01 2012, 4:20 pm

>

>I love Netflix.  There streaming selection might not be ideal for contemporary mainstream American movies and TV, but they do offer a huge number of forgien films, documentaries, and independent movies that are well worth a look.  Plus, they don't list every movie they have on the opening screen [of my Xbox], but you can always do a search for one.

>Plus, I mean Twin Peaks, Law and Order, and EVERY Star Trek series for ten bucks a month?  That's an awesome deal.  I wish they'd bring back B5 on streaming though.

>Desdinova777 said: Why pay for Netflix to watch Star Trek when you can see it here, cbs.com or at tv.com for free?

>My answer is that I can get Netflix on my TV via my Xbox.  I'd much rather watch TV on my TV than on my laptop.

>


Right. Like I said...for peanuts per month...I think it's a pretty good deal.


I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Matthias Russell

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7705

Report this Mar. 02 2012, 7:35 am

Not only can I watch on my computer or xbox, but with netflix, the presentation is commercial free. Peanuts for an uninterupted viewing experience. BTW, Also have a Netflix app which makes it easy to watch on my phone.


 


BTW, Hulu isn't completely free anymore and doesn't have many CBS shows.


Caesar753

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 578

Report this Mar. 02 2012, 6:58 pm

I absolutely love Netflix streaming.  It may not have the most up to date shows, but there is no shortage of older shows, documentaries and movies to watch.  I have yet to run out of interesting shows that I haven't seen before or feel like rewatching.

Dutchking2282

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 56

Report this Mar. 02 2012, 7:14 pm

My ex-girlfriend had it, and I only watched Doctor Who. Didn't think to watch ST on it! Thanks

ACottrill

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 281

Report this Mar. 02 2012, 10:35 pm

We have NetFlix because my boyfriend wanted it. I, personally, hardly ever use it- and, everytime I have, I've yet to see ANY Star Trek episodes or movies on it. Most of the time, I just watch random WW2/Holocaust documentaries or movies.....or, anime.


'-reward for your good heart occurs in this world as the knowledge that love is its own reward and that there are others who appreciate you for who you are.' - Walter Koenig

Evan.J.Guzman

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 44

Report this Mar. 05 2012, 7:18 am

I never used Netflix. I use Blockbuster. I figure it's just preference. I would like to know how i might be able to view Voyager episodes for free. On this site and tv.com that option is not available. 

guillermo.mejía

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2852

Report this Mar. 05 2012, 7:59 am

I found Street Fighter II: V in Netflix! No way can I call it pathetic!


"Aye. And if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon." - Scotty, The Miracle Worker since 2265.

Matthias Russell

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7705

Report this Mar. 05 2012, 4:19 pm

Quote: Evan.J.Guzman @ Mar. 05 2012, 7:18 am

>

>I never used Netflix. I use Blockbuster. I figure it's just preference. I would like to know how i might be able to view Voyager episodes for free. On this site and tv.com that option is not available. 

>


 


All star trek episodes are available for streaming on netflix.  It is probably the cheapest way to watch Voyager at will.


Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum