ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Ships Counselor

jewelara

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 8

Report this Feb. 26 2012, 6:57 pm

I'm a Psychology major and I wanted to buy some stuff from the Star Fleet Academy collection. I'm just wondering if I would be considered under Science or Medical to be a ships counselor? Star Fleet Academy is just so much cooler than EOU. 

dirtsailor73

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 104

Report this Feb. 26 2012, 8:21 pm

Well, since no one else is answering your question, I vote medical.


 


"The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank." ~LCDR Montgomery Scott, A Taste of Armageddon.

Broadstorm

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 828

Report this Feb. 26 2012, 8:24 pm

Agreed, definitely medical as it has to do with the health of the crew, but at least it won't affect the color of your uniform.

xXLadyDataXx

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2297

Report this Feb. 26 2012, 8:30 pm

OMG I'm also a psychology major just like you!! Yeah you would be considered a Medical officer I mean just look at Counselor Deanna Troi. She's a counselor and she wears the blue uniform since that's the color medical officers wear.


OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this Feb. 26 2012, 10:22 pm

I believe I heard it mentioned one time that the ship's counsellor reports to Starfleet Medical. (Might have been the Afterimage episode of DS9.) Although they function partly as a scientific consultant (so do doctors sometimes) they are primarily concerned with the mental health of the crew and have the authority to place someone on medical leave. (for example, Realm of Fear)


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Feb. 27 2012, 7:20 am

Medical and science are the same division. They both wear blue in the TOS timeframe and in the TNG timeframe.


Spock was Chief Science officer, and he wore blue. McCoy was CMO, and he also wore blue.


Jadzia Dax was DS9's science officer, and she wore blue. Julian Bashir was the station's CMO, and he wore blue.


Also, since Troi and Ezri Dax were both councilers, and both wore blue...I think that gives you a solid body of evidence!


For those who argue that "Data wore yellow..." Data was the ship's Chief of Operations...not a science officer. Operations, Engineering, and Security all wear yellow.


 


 

dirtsailor73

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 104

Report this Feb. 27 2012, 8:06 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Feb. 27 2012, 7:20 am

>

>Medical and science are the same division. They both wear blue in the TOS timeframe and in the TNG timeframe.

>Spock was Chief Science officer, and he wore blue. McCoy was CMO, and he also wore blue.

>


Spock and McCoy both wore blue, but they had different chest patches. Spock wore the double circle of the Science Department and McCoy wore either the spiral of ship's services or the cross of Medical, depending on the season.


 


"The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank." ~LCDR Montgomery Scott, A Taste of Armageddon.

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Feb. 27 2012, 9:49 am

McCoy wore the same badge as Spock, from what I recall. These pictures show him wearing the same circle insignia that Spock wears.



I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Feb. 27 2012, 9:53 am

Here's another good one:


Evan.J.Guzman

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 44

Report this Feb. 27 2012, 11:22 am

Vger25 quotes


Medical and science are the same division. They both wear blue in the TOS timeframe and in the TNG timeframe.


Spock was Chief Science officer, and he wore blue. McCoy was CMO, and he also wore blue.


Jadzia Dax was DS9's science officer, and she wore blue. Julian Bashir was the station's CMO, and he wore blue.


Also, since Troi and Ezri Dax were both councilers, and both wore blue...I think that gives you a solid body of evidence!


For those who argue that "Data wore yellow..." Data was the ship's Chief of Operations...not a science officer. Operations, Engineering, and Security all wear yellow.


 I agree with this but as quoted in this website about Data:


STARFLEET PERSONNEL FILE: Data
Final Rank: Lieutenant Commander
Last assignment: Second Officer/Science Officer,


I think for Data the Operations uniform is sound being that he floated from night shift commander, helmsman, to assisting in engineering. He was, however the Science officer and I believe that was mentioned in early episodes. He could have just as appropriately wore blue.


To answer the question I would advise going with what real life would consider a psychologist. A counseler can't prescribe medication. Psychology is the science where Psychiatry is the medical residence.


 


 

dirtsailor73

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 104

Report this Feb. 27 2012, 11:59 am

I'll have to take a look at the episode I was watching last night when I get home. I'm positive that he had the ships services spiral on.


"The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank." ~LCDR Montgomery Scott, A Taste of Armageddon.

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Feb. 27 2012, 12:23 pm

Quote: dirtsailor73 @ Feb. 27 2012, 11:59 am

>

>I'll have to take a look at the episode I was watching last night when I get home. I'm positive that he had the ships services spiral on.

>


 


Oh, I don't doubt it at all! I seem to remember one episode I had watched where it looked like he was wearing an emblem with the red cross on it (like Chapel), but it was gone the next episode.


I also caught Scotty wearing a sciences emblem one episode.


 


I think those are more continuity / costume issues than anything that should be taken seriously!


 


 


I AM KEE-ROCK!!

dirtsailor73

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 104

Report this Feb. 27 2012, 12:32 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Feb. 27 2012, 12:23 pm

Quote: dirtsailor73 @ Feb. 27 2012, 11:59 am

>

>

>I'll have to take a look at the episode I was watching last night when I get home. I'm positive that he had the ships services spiral on.

>

 

Oh, I don't doubt it at all! I seem to remember one episode I had watched where it looked like he was wearing an emblem with the red cross on it (like Chapel), but it was gone the next episode.

I also caught Scotty wearing a sciences emblem one episode.

 

I think those are more continuity / costume issues than anything that should be taken seriously!

 

 


Thanks, good to know. I was shocked when I saw it last night!


 


"The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank." ~LCDR Montgomery Scott, A Taste of Armageddon.

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Feb. 27 2012, 12:51 pm

Quote: Evan.J.Guzman @ Feb. 27 2012, 11:22 am

>

>Vger25 quotes

>Medical and science are the same division. They both wear blue in the TOS timeframe and in the TNG timeframe.

>Spock was Chief Science officer, and he wore blue. McCoy was CMO, and he also wore blue.

>Jadzia Dax was DS9's science officer, and she wore blue. Julian Bashir was the station's CMO, and he wore blue.

>Also, since Troi and Ezri Dax were both councilers, and both wore blue...I think that gives you a solid body of evidence!

>For those who argue that "Data wore yellow..." Data was the ship's Chief of Operations...not a science officer. Operations, Engineering, and Security all wear yellow.

> I agree with this but as quoted in this website about Data:

>STARFLEET PERSONNEL FILE: Data
Final Rank: Lieutenant Commander
Last assignment: Second Officer/Science Officer,

>I think for Data the Operations uniform is sound being that he floated from night shift commander, helmsman, to assisting in engineering. He was, however the Science officer and I believe that was mentioned in early episodes. He could have just as appropriately wore blue.

>To answer the question I would advise going with what real life would consider a psychologist. A counseler can't prescribe medication. Psychology is the science where Psychiatry is the medical residence.

>


The info on the website is not canon. In several instances on-screen in TNG, Data is referred to as the Chief Operations Officer. Science was certainly part of his responsibility/ skill set, but he was the Operations guy. For example, in "The Most Toys" when Data is presumed dead...Riker recommends Worf for the position of Operations Officer in order to replace him. Worf responds by saying that he has "served at the position before."


 


Further, this screen shot from "Conundrum" verifies his official title:


Fileimg border=ata personnel file.jpg" width="381" height="413" />


So, clearly, his official title is that of the Operations Management Officer.  


Check this out (link below), which includes references to the TNG Writer's Bible, and the line that says "As analytical operations relied upon knowledge of science and engineering disciplines, chief operations officers sometimes performed the additional duties of a science officer, as exemplified by both Lieutenant Commander Data and Ensign Harry Kim." 


 


http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Operations_officer


I AM KEE-ROCK!!

stovokor2000-A

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2001

Report this Feb. 27 2012, 5:23 pm

Quote: dirtsailor73 @ Feb. 27 2012, 8:06 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Feb. 27 2012, 7:20 am

>

>

>Medical and science are the same division. They both wear blue in the TOS timeframe and in the TNG timeframe.

>Spock was Chief Science officer, and he wore blue. McCoy was CMO, and he also wore blue.

>

Spock and McCoy both wore blue, but they had different chest patches. Spock wore the double circle of the Science Department and McCoy wore either the spiral of ship's services or the cross of Medical, depending on the season.

 

I think your confuseing McCoy with Nurse Chaspple.


She weore the cross at times.


Photobucket

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum