Who sticks out worst in 1986?

OtakuJo

Report this Feb. 22 2012, 3:06 am

I just purchased a copy of TVH which I think is more and more my favourite TOS movie -- it's just a lot of fun to watch. I'm curious who you think was the worst stand-out character in 1980s San Francisco; since let's face it, Kirk's crew really didn't do a very good job of "blending" into the crowd. I have an idea of what my answer would be but am curious to see if others have the same idea or different.

So who do you think fitted in the worst in the 20th century? Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Chekov, Uhura, Sulu, or McCoy?

And come to think of it, who fitted in the best? I have an idea about that question too.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

RoTrekkie

Report this Feb. 22 2012, 5:42 am

Spock, obviously. And Pavel because they thought he was a commie.

guillermo.mejía

Report this Feb. 22 2012, 6:44 am

You'd think Checkov...but no. He was doing alright, considering he wasn't in Guantanamo Bay by the day's end.

Going to say Spock....because of the robe.

Who fit in the best? Sulu cause he drew the least attention? I'd say Scotty a close second.

TheDriver

Report this Feb. 22 2012, 8:17 am

Who fit the period best? Probably Bones.

Why? Grumbling often seems uncouth in the 23rd century, but would be expected in the 20th century. Plus, Bones seemed to really be enjoying himself. And the engineers took him seriously. (Scotty, on the other hand, came across as an eccentric.)

Who fit the period worst? Well, considering Spock is half-Vulcan, I'm going to throw him out of the running as he would be the obvious choice here. Next up would most likely be Chekov.

Why? For the majority of the film, he seemed absolutely CLUELESS. Ha. Obviously, he was not a student of Earth history. Which is weird when you think about how many times he spat out his Russian "history lessons" in the series...

"Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast."

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Feb. 22 2012, 10:06 am

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

OtakuJo

Report this Feb. 22 2012, 10:17 pm

I don't really know that Spock was the "obvious" choice -- I mean apart from the ears which he covered up, it's not physically obvious that he is an alien. But I think at most he came across as very, very weird. (Especially swimming with the whales.)

I think Chekov -- the guy who was wandering around San Fran. in the mid-80's, asking in his heavy Russian accent about where to find a "nuclear wessel". He probably only got an answer because the people he asked would suppose he was far too disingenuous to be a spy.

Best fit, I think Sulu or Uhura -- although that might not be very fair cinsidering they spent the least amount of time in the city. Sulu managed to talk his way into getting a helicopter and didn't seem to cause too many raised eyebrows. Somehow!

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Blockman

Report this Feb. 23 2012, 2:02 am

Quote: OneDamnMinuteAdmiral @ Feb. 22 2012, 10:06 am

>Spcok definitely stood out the most but since they were in San Francisco noone noticed.

hahaha. nice

CloudMinder2

Report this Feb. 23 2012, 5:34 am

"There are always alternatives" Spock

guillermo.mejía

Report this Feb. 23 2012, 6:14 am

Quote: CloudMinder2 @ Feb. 23 2012, 5:34 am

>Well it was tricky to spot the difference between Scotty and the whale at times...

>...actually now i come to think of it, did we ever see them in the same room at the same time?

Yup. When he beamed them aboard the Bird of Prey.

"Captain, there be whales here!"

Pooneil

Report this Feb. 23 2012, 9:06 am

Bones fit in pretty well, though he wasn't enjoying himself. Sulu, on the other hand, seemed to be having a good time with his new toy helicopter, so I figure he's studied history.

Chekov and Uhura both seemed confused and out of place. Mostly because one is Russian and the other was wearing a Starfleet uniform.

The fact that Spock was merely considered "a bit weird" was one of the movie's jokes: He did "a little too much LDS" at Berkeley, and he wears a robe...but it's San Fransisco, so no one really cares.

megan512

Report this Mar. 10 2012, 1:49 pm

I'd say Chekov fit in the worst. Just look at when he's being interogated, the poor guy.

Sulu fit in the best. He didn't call too much attention to himself.

Mitchz95

Report this Mar. 10 2012, 1:58 pm

Quote: guillermo.mejía @ Feb. 22 2012, 6:44 am

>Who fit in the best? [...] I'd say Scotty a close second.

"Hello, computer!"

OtakuJo

Report this Mar. 10 2012, 3:07 pm

Oh that's right! He was trying to talk to the mouse!!

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

cowgirlcadet

Report this Mar. 12 2012, 9:00 pm

I think McCoy and Sulu fitted in the best. Actually Kirk would have fitted in pretty well too, but he was with Spock, so because of that, not so much.

aasimilatedtrill

Report this Apr. 27 2012, 7:24 am

McCoy fit in the best, but Chekov stuck out like a sore thumb. Russian, and on top of that, he still claimed to be in Starfleet. "Let's start from the top. Name." "My name?" "No, my name!" "I do not know your name." "You play games with me, mister, and you're out of here!" "I am? Can I go now?" XD