What's the difference between Trekkies and Trekkers?

xXLadyDataXx

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 1:08 pm

Grettings everyone I am Lady Data and as I've mentioned I have been a Star Trek fan for 2 yrs and now I've been hearing Star Trek fans being called Trekkies or Trekkers and the thing I want to know is what's the difference between the two? Is Trekkies used for girl fans and Trekkers used for guy fans?

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 2:13 pm

Trekkers climb mountains, and trek through the woods. Trekkies are dorks like us.

Photobucket

padracin

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 6:59 pm

Mitchz95

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 7:43 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>I was once told at a convention that Trekkies are the fans, but Trekkers are the SERIOUS fans.

I always thought the opposite - fans were Trekkers and serious fans were Trekkies. I'm a Trekkie.

Generally, people associate "Trekkie" with nerds and so consider it derogatory.

xXLadyDataXx

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 8:03 pm

For some reason I've heard that Trekkies are the ones that take their fandom to the extreme. Is that true?

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 8:06 pm

Odd... I could have sworn this was a thread yesterday.....

Oh well....

For me, I use the term Trekkie, probably since it was the first term I heard.

xXLadyDataXx

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 8:15 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Feb. 20 2012, 8:06 pm

>Odd... I could have sworn this was a thread yesterday.....

>Oh well....

>You can get a lot of different (and conflicting) answers on this question.  There's even a rumor that the question was asked of Gene Roddenberry and supposedly, he used the term "Trekkie" to define Star Trek fans....  But, when someone in the audience yelled "Trekker", Gene responded, "No, it's 'Trekkies.' I should know — I invented the thing."  (And others that were there say that Roddenberry used the term "Trekker".)  Since there is no recording, we don't know for sure.

>For me, I use the term Trekkie, probably since it was the first term I heard.

Actually I did post this yesturday but I realized that I posted this question in the wrong section so I deleted it and posted my question here instead.

I've always heard the term Trekkie to relate to Star Trek fans however I was in a conversation with someone and they brought up the term Trekker when talking about the the Trekkies documentary.

Beershark

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 8:30 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Trekkies are true fans, come from all walks of life, and can be extreme in their fandom and other trekkies accept.

Trekkers started in the 80's, when yuppies came out as fans but didn't want to be asocciated with "wierdos".

To call them serious is only to say they are uptight and overly worried about what others think of their fandom. Trekkies don't care what people think.

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

OtakuJo

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 8:38 pm

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

xXLadyDataXx

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 8:42 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ Feb. 20 2012, 8:38 pm

>Trekkers have thick brown hair on the backs of their hands, Trekkies have long, twisting toenails that burrow in the earth.

I'm sorry but your definition is making me crack up lol   no offense

bennylbja

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 11:27 pm

Quote: padracin @ Feb. 20 2012, 6:59 pm

>In the years after TOS when conventions were just starting to get big, Trekkies was the uncomplementary term that non-fans used, and Trekkers was what we called ourselves.  However I think that distinction has sort of faded with time..........

That's what I heard too.

"Captain, should I beam down an armed party?" -Spock

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Feb. 21 2012, 12:30 am

The difference is the spelling.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Evan.J.Guzman

Report this Feb. 21 2012, 7:55 am

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between someone who likes Star Trek (enjoys the shows and movies and maybe read a novel here and there) and a trekkie, or is a Star Trek fan of any magnitude considered to be a trekkie?

MoppyCGDaniels

Report this Feb. 21 2012, 4:24 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Trekkers are the type of fan that "uses" the technology described in the series & movies. Trekkies are those guys who wear Vulcan ears. Tho as mentioned nowadays the name Trekkies isn't considerd bad anymore.

OtakuJo

Report this Feb. 21 2012, 7:56 pm

I think of "Trekkers" as the kind of pedantic fans who say things like: "I'm a Trekker, not a Trekkie."

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?