Would you dedicate your political activity to creating a real future like STAR TREK?

dfgrbac

Report this Feb. 19 2012, 1:20 pm

After reading this forum for awhile, I wondered if folks here would want a future as envisioned in STAR TREK. Maybe it is just me, but from the very first time I watched TOS (yes, I am from that era) I pictured the show as a legitimate view of our real future – and I loved it!. I realized, of course, that we had many political problems to overcome to get there, but at the time (1969) it seemed to me we could make it if we tried hard enough. My feelings about that were confirmed as I watched the success of NASA's missions to the moon – the first mission accomplished in less than ten years. But since those days, things have really gone sour, unfortunately. I am not just referring to our space exploration efforts, but the collapse and corruption of our political system right up to the near total dysfunction we see today.

I don't believe it is too late for us though. The problem as I see it is the disenfranchisement of voters and the misinformation delivered to them by the media. It now appears Americans are starting to wake up to all this. I use the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations as the main example. The occupy movement succeeded because there are so many groups and organizations extremely dissatisfied with the way things are going. All these groups saw OWS as a way to show everyone the large numbers of unhappy Americans. And didn't this spread around the world in other capitalist controlled countries as well!

So, how do you (a STAR TREK fan) feel about the current state of our politics, and what are you willing to do about it?

Don Grbac

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Feb. 19 2012, 1:23 pm

In the USA, we already have equal opportunity.  Sadly, people mistake equal opportunity with equal results.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Feb. 19 2012, 1:23 pm

BTW, what's "TOG"?  Do you mean TOS or TNG?

dfgrbac

Report this Feb. 19 2012, 1:52 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Feb. 19 2012, 1:23 pm

>BTW, what's "TOG"?  Do you mean TOS or TNG?

Whoops!  Thanks for that.  I read it over so many times and still missed that typo.

Don Grbac

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Feb. 19 2012, 5:12 pm

Quote: dfgrbac @ Feb. 19 2012, 1:52 pm

>No, we do not have equal opportunity in America.  Money gives you opportunity, the more the better.  But if you don't have the money, you don't have the same opportunity.  Government can equalize that.  In Germany, for example, college is free for everyone.
And that's a lie that the ProRegressives keep telling everyone to justify more intrusive government.

And actually, our current system actually discriminates.... against the wealthy.

We are all equal under the law, which means we all have the same right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

Handouts are NOT the answer.

And no.... college is NOT "free" for everyone.  That's yet another ProRegressive lie.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Feb. 19 2012, 6:47 pm

People need to stop making excuses why they can't do something.  Opportunities are created all the time.

If only some people had "opportunity", then they have to throw out all the people that came from the poorest of poor and became multi-millionaires.

clover_data

Report this Feb. 19 2012, 9:26 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Feb. 19 2012, 5:12 pm

Quote: dfgrbac @ Feb. 19 2012, 1:52 pm

Handouts are NOT the answer.

were does thoose ideas come from, not from the declartion of independence, it gives the rights of life liberty and the pursit of happiness but not happiness itself if you want happiness get it for yourself. People needs to reliaze that they are equal under the eyes of justice.

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Picard

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Feb. 19 2012, 9:30 pm

Quote: clover_data @ Feb. 19 2012, 9:26 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Feb. 19 2012, 5:12 pm

Quote: dfgrbac @ Feb. 19 2012, 1:52 pm

Handouts are NOT the answer.

I believe it comes from the Entitlement Cancer that has been forced on our Country the last century.  And now with the "Participation Trophy" generation, it's only getting worse.

clover_data

Report this Feb. 19 2012, 9:36 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Feb. 19 2012, 9:30 pm

Quote: clover_data @ Feb. 19 2012, 9:26 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Feb. 19 2012, 5:12 pm

Quote: dfgrbac @ Feb. 19 2012, 1:52 pm

Handouts are NOT the answer.

It is, it seems I do not even fit in with my own generation (the 9/11 generation) I try to see what the nation was and all I found this nation which we call 'america' today is not the america our founding fathers created. I guess we need to do something but people our blind.

dfgrbac

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 7:46 am

Quote: clover_data @ Feb. 19 2012, 9:36 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Feb. 19 2012, 9:30 pm

Quote: clover_data @ Feb. 19 2012, 9:26 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Feb. 19 2012, 5:12 pm

Quote: dfgrbac @ Feb. 19 2012, 1:52 pm

Handouts are NOT the answer.

Well, nobody seemed up to answering my question.  In the hope I might get an answer, here it is again.

I have to assume posters so far think everything is just fine.  Just a note, the occupiers don't think everything is fine.

Don Grbac

caltrek2

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 8:58 am

Well, I always looked upon Star Trek as a source of entertainment, and not necessarily as a blueprint for our future. Having said that , the thing that appealed to me about the show was the essentailly heroic character of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and company. These were people of honesty and integrity who often risked their lives for what they believed.

Sounds like the military, doesn't it?

Yet, it is precisley that military aspect that truned off some of my anarchist friends, who sneered at Star Trek as simply being a Cops In Outer Space show.

For myself, I am a pacifist, but not a strict anarchist. So the cops in outer space aspect of Star Trek doesn't bother me so much, especially when you consider that the characters are constrained by the Prime Directive, unlike many other science fiction stories. So I do not necessarily want to see cops in space, but I do cling to the idea of leaders as potential heroes, as people who do the right thing for the common good. Cynics might argue that my clinging is just another example of how naive I can be. They might be right.

dfgrbac

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 9:19 am

Starfleet has a military structure most definitely.  It is the defense arm of the Federation, so it's ships patrol and explore surrounding space.  You might wonder why Starfleet does exploration.  The reason is nobody knows what is out there until they get there.  This is not a war culture as some may think.  At work I had a poster of the Enterprise.  When a co-worker looked at it, I said,"that is the future"!  He answered, "God, I hope not!"  He obviously pictured the Enterprise as a war ship, not a science vessel as I did.

Leaders can be good people if elected.  But today our politics is so distorted with misinformation that the media makes sure the good guys (or ladies) don't get elected to powerful positions.  And we, the people, are left with no representation.

Don Grbac

DammitJim6200

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 10:01 am

Quote: dfgrbac @ Feb. 19 2012, 1:52 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Feb. 19 2012, 1:23 pm

>BTW, what's "TOG"?  Do you mean TOS or TNG?

Your absolutely right, friend, don't be fooled, the CONSEVATIVE / REPUBLICAN'S are ONLY for the rich, they always were and always has been, Obama is the only President in 30 years to do ANYTHING about health care and college for people who can't afford it..So to answer you I'd say concerning our political system, President Obama is going in the right direction towards a better future..All we have to do is IGNORE those two RATS Romney, Santorum and the conservative media and be good citizens.

DammitJim6200

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 10:01 am

Quote: dfgrbac @ Feb. 19 2012, 1:52 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Feb. 19 2012, 1:23 pm

>BTW, what's "TOG"?  Do you mean TOS or TNG?

dfgrbac

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 11:57 am

Quote: DammitJim6200 @ Feb. 20 2012, 10:01 am

>Your absolutely right, friend, don't be fooled, the CONSEVATIVE / REPUBLICAN'S are ONLY for the rich, they always were and always have been, Obama is the only President in 30 years to do ANYTHING about health care and college for people who can't afford it..So to answer you I'd say concerning our political system, President Obama is going in the right direction towards a better future..All we have to do is IGNORE those two RATS Romney, Santorum and the conservative media and be good citizens.

Unfortunately, the Democrats have become a problem too.  Even when dems come to power, they still don't do the will of the people.  They follow the agenda of the Empire and the Republican elite.  I don't include everyday Republicans in that because they have no idea what is happening.  So just being good citizens and voting every couple of years will not save us from certain destruction.

As "good citizens", my friend, we need to take some control over government function ourselves.  Over 20 states (I believe 25) have ballot initiatives.  But these initiative laws and procedures fall short of what is needed.  We need a strong national initiative process that empowers the people for local, state, and national elections.  There is such a process, created by good people expert in the legalities of it, available now.  It is called the National Initiative for Democracy.  Check it out at www.ni4d.us.

Don Grbac