Why didn't the crew of voyager use the quantum slip-stream engine more effectively?

Captain Derk

Report this Feb. 19 2012, 12:41 pm

When Lt. Torres developed the quantum slip stream engine in order to 'fold' space by entering sub-space but the epsiode tells us how a phase varient of .4 disrupts the sub-space feild and throws voyager into normal space however a future Harry Kim saves the day by correcting the .4 varient to safely put voyager into normal space. In the process they shave a chunk off their journey, could they not of used the drive to repeat this process until they reached the alpha quadrant? Each time using there new correction varrient to drop out of sub-space wehn the varient reached .3? Then repeat the process? Why could they not of done this to reach home?

I Am Captain Patterson Of The Federation Starship U.S.S Winter.

Mitchz95

Report this Feb. 19 2012, 6:30 pm

I always wondered about that too. Perhaps the slipstream drive was one-use only; they did say it was decaying quickly.

Broadstorm

Report this Feb. 19 2012, 9:13 pm

Mitchz95

Report this Feb. 19 2012, 9:19 pm

Quote: Broadstorm @ Feb. 19 2012, 9:13 pm

>I dont recall the episode title, but I seem to recall something about some instability.  I think they held onto it to try again if they could improve it, but just never worked it out.

I think that's "Timeless", the one we're talking about.

Hugues

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 6:46 am

Because then you would have 2 years and a half of series left of them being on earth.....

Hugues

Report this Feb. 20 2012, 10:16 pm

I just saw the episode yesterday. They did use some special crystals they found, but they was decaying pretty fast. That's why they did take the risk using the slipstream without properly testing it before and never could try it again.

Kate McCoy

Report this Feb. 21 2012, 4:12 am

Not only that but i think after crashing into a planet once.... your not going to be into using it again.... never know if somebody will mess with the timeline again for ya

Kate McCoy

Report this Feb. 21 2012, 4:13 am

guillermo.mejía

Report this Feb. 21 2012, 5:39 am

Quote: Kate McCoy @ Feb. 21 2012, 4:13 am

>Although not Canon.... The's a mini series of Voyager where voyager and a group of other ships go back to the Delta Quadrent... They're all using slip streams.....

If I remmeber correctly the Corps of Engineers perfected slipstream to the poit where it's reliable, yet can't be used too much. Also the books take place years after Voyager returned, so I can imagine slipstream being improved.

No offense to Harry, but I'm sure the Corps has more knowledge at their disposal than one lonely obssesed guy.

miklamar

Report this Feb. 24 2012, 1:12 pm

I thought the slipstream was still experimental, even when the USS Aventine was equipped with it in the post-DS9 books.  So, it was probably a pioneering effort to install it on Voyager at that earlier date.

Kate McCoy

Report this Feb. 24 2012, 1:28 pm

It's not just  Voyager they equip it on it's like I think 7 or 8 Ships... may have been less... but it was more than Just Voyager..... And the Corps did it well but not well enough to where it could be used all the time becuase the crystlys would deteriorate...... When they find B'Lenna on her shuttle She gets it to where they can regenrerate the crystlys

Users browsing this forum: DS9TREK, FleetAdmiral_BamBam