ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

best trek film of them all??

stovokor2000-A

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2001

Report this Mar. 23 2012, 9:50 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Mar. 22 2012, 7:57 pm

>-How in the WORLD does it make sense to send a ship CAPTAIN...no flag officers, no dignitaries, NO AMBASSADORS...to meet the leadership of your most lethal enemy on the eve of universal peace??? Even Kirk thought it was ridiculous.


They did indeed have an ambassdsador............althou he was rather new at the job.Spock, and he was the one that opened up the talks in the first place.


-How do the Enterprise's sensors...sensitive enough to tell the difference between Mr. Spock and a crew of Romulans in "The Enterprise Incident" not have a sensor record of the torpedoes originating from the cloaked bird of prey?


Good one.But maybe Valaris or others were interfering/messing with the sensors, or maybe the colaking tech used helped cover the torpedoe readings.


-Speaking of that, are you trying to tell me that those highly sensitive sensors wouldn't have located Klingon blood on the ship? I mean, Checkov had to find the freaking stuff by hand on the transporter pad.


and again a good one


-If security is so tight around the second peace conference (let's remember, one superpower's leader has ALREADY BEEN ASSASSINATED)...how the HELL does a guy sneak a sniper rifle into the building, and then go find himself up on a pearch perfectly positioned for an assassination...without anyone noticing?


this one is easier to explain.............more people were involved.


-Most fundamentally, the whole movie depends on this idea that peace with the Klingons means the end of Starfleet (Chang's quote to Kirk about "giving up Starfleet", the officer asking "are we talking about mothballing the fleet", Valeris saying "SAVING Starfleet")...yet we all know that this is complete nonsense. Starfleet doesn't exist soley to defend the Federation from the Klingon threat...so it really makes everyone's motivations for fear and prejudice turn into wattery made-up crap rather quickly.  


thats a good point


Photobucket

Roddenberry's Disciple

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 70

Report this Mar. 23 2012, 4:48 pm

Hmmm...Star Trek being about "action" throughout its run...


Uh....


What about "The City on the Edge of Forever", "Let that Be Your Last Battlefield", and then "The Inner Light" and "Family" from TNG, for instance?


 


"Star Trek" was, is, and will always be "Star Trek" (as in the original series). "The Next Generation" is a spectacular show that I more or less consider equal to the original, and DS9 is pretty good (albeit far overrated by many). The first 8 movies are fine by me too!

stovokor2000-A

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2001

Report this Mar. 23 2012, 4:52 pm

Quote: Roddenberry's Disciple @ Mar. 23 2012, 4:48 pm

>Hmmm...Star Trek being about "action" throughout its run...

>Uh....

>What about "The City on the Edge of Forever", "Let that Be Your Last Battlefield", and then "The Inner Light" and "Family" from TNG, for instance?


I feel even those episodes had theirshare of action.


Photobucket

Mitchz95

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1830

Report this Mar. 23 2012, 6:33 pm

Quote: Roddenberry's Disciple @ Mar. 23 2012, 4:48 pm

>

>Hmmm...Star Trek being about "action" throughout its run...

>Uh....

>What about "The City on the Edge of Forever", "Let that Be Your Last Battlefield", and then "The Inner Light" and "Family" from TNG, for instance?

>


Those are episodes, not movies.


Family was good, though. I haven't seen those others yet.


"The future is in the hands of those who explore... And from all the beauty they discover while crossing perpetually receding frontiers, they develop for nature and for humankind an infinite love." - Jacques Yves Cousteau

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 8:09 am

I never said Trek was about action...I said it was about adventure.


 


Those are two distinctly different things.

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 8:10 am

...and anyone who thinks that "Family" or "Inner Light" would have made good Star Trek feature films is completely out of touch with reality.


Great television episodes...yes. But they would BOMB as a feature sci-fi film.

Roddenberry's Disciple

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 70

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 8:15 am

True. Although I think the 3 part arc of Best of Both Worlds and Family could have made it as a film, maybe if Picard had to face the Borg again after returning back to the Enterprise-D.

"Star Trek" was, is, and will always be "Star Trek" (as in the original series). "The Next Generation" is a spectacular show that I more or less consider equal to the original, and DS9 is pretty good (albeit far overrated by many). The first 8 movies are fine by me too!

TheDriver

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1652

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 10:17 am

Vger23, your posts make a ton of sense. Just a congratulatory thought from a fellow poster.


(I should probably add my own opinions on both the film series and the reasons why TUC is overrrated... But honestly? I've done it before. Numerous times. And I'm feeling lazy right now. Ha.)


Anyway, my favorite Trek film is TMP. But please know I absolutely ADORE the First Four.


TFF and TUC are childish and lame, IMHO.


GEN, INS, and NEM are all fairly terrible.


FC and ST'09 are a ton of fun.


"Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast."

maartje.van vlokhoven

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 2:19 pm

First Contact and 2009. And don't make me pick between the two.

CaptainKirksGirl

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 8

Report this Mar. 24 2012, 9:17 pm

ditto this > STTMP: Directors Cut

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Mar. 26 2012, 5:32 am

Quote: TheDriver @ Mar. 24 2012, 10:17 am

>

>Vger23, your posts make a ton of sense. Just a congratulatory thought from a fellow poster.

>(I should probably add my own opinions on both the film series and the reasons why TUC is overrrated... But honestly? I've done it before. Numerous times. And I'm feeling lazy right now. Ha.)

>Anyway, my favorite Trek film is TMP. But please know I absolutely ADORE the First Four.

>TFF and TUC are childish and lame, IMHO.

>GEN, INS, and NEM are all fairly terrible.

>FC and ST'09 are a ton of fun.

>


 


Thank you for the very kind words, TheDriver!


 


I think you and I are very well aligned on the movies based on what you've written here. The only significant differences I'd make (and I know it's fairly unpopular...!) would be to swap TFF (which I liked quite a bit) and TVH. That, and I also am a bit more forgiving of NEM than most people are!


 


I'm also one of those guys who really likes TMP. Although not my all-time favorite, it's definitely top-3!


 


 


I AM KEE-ROCK!!

OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this Mar. 26 2012, 7:24 pm

Quote: Fleet Admiral Braxton @ Mar. 20 2012, 3:59 pm

Quote: Beershark @ Mar. 20 2012, 1:25 am

>

>

>Galaxy Quest!

>
Somebody's Smoking Some Romulan Ale. That Peice Of Crap Wasn't Even Funny! The Only Good Thing about Galaxy Quest Was That Sigourney Weaver Looked Good In A Blonde Wig And Wonderbra! Spaceballs Was TEN TIMES Funnier And All Of America Knows It!!  


Everyone has different opinions on the matter, but the only reason I can think of that any person would think of Galaxy Quest as unfunny is if they were somehow (perversely) offended by it. Spaceballs is also funny but it really doesn't come close to the sheer cleverness of Galaxy Quest. And you can't get me with the "All of America" reference either. And a further side note: Romulan ale is for drinking, not smoking!



Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Beershark

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2590

Report this Mar. 26 2012, 10:02 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ Mar. 26 2012, 7:24 pm

Quote: Fleet Admiral Braxton @ Mar. 20 2012, 3:59 pm

Quote: Beershark @ Mar. 20 2012, 1:25 am

>

>

>

>Galaxy Quest!

>
Somebody's Smoking Some Romulan Ale. That Peice Of Crap Wasn't Even Funny! The Only Good Thing about Galaxy Quest Was That Sigourney Weaver Looked Good In A Blonde Wig And Wonderbra! Spaceballs Was TEN TIMES Funnier And All Of America Knows It!!  

Everyone has different opinions on the matter, but the only reason I can think of that any person would think of Galaxy Quest as unfunny is if they were somehow (perversely) offended by it. Spaceballs is also funny but it really doesn't come close to the sheer cleverness of Galaxy Quest. And you can't get me with the "All of America" reference either. And a further side note: Romulan ale is for drinking, not smoking!


NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!


CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

Fleet Admiral Braxton

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 288

Report this Mar. 31 2012, 6:10 pm

Quote: Beershark @ Mar. 26 2012, 10:02 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ Mar. 26 2012, 7:24 pm

Quote: Fleet Admiral Braxton @ Mar. 20 2012, 3:59 pm

Quote: Beershark @ Mar. 20 2012, 1:25 am

>

>

> Galaxy Quest? Cleverness? NOW WE ALL KNOW YOU ARE HIGH ON SOMTHING!!    

>

>Galaxy Quest!

>
Somebody's Smoking Some Romulan Ale. That Peice Of Crap Wasn't Even Funny! The Only Good Thing about Galaxy Quest Was That Sigourney Weaver Looked Good In A Blonde Wig And Wonderbra! Spaceballs Was TEN TIMES Funnier And All Of America Knows It!!  

Everyone has different opinions on the matter, but the only reason I can think of that any person would think of Galaxy Quest as unfunny is if they were somehow (perversely) offended by it. Spaceballs is also funny but it really doesn't come close to the sheer cleverness of Galaxy Quest. And you can't get me with the "All of America" reference either. And a further side note: Romulan ale is for drinking, not smoking!

NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!

Tureaz'47

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2605

Report this Apr. 01 2012, 2:41 am

1st contact

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum