The reasons why Enterprise is fantastic, and does NOT break continuity

Sora

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 6:01 pm

1. All of their technology is of equal or lesser value to TOS

2. Kirk's ship can still be regarded as the first Enterprise, because Archer pre-dates the Federation. It's an NX class ship. The Defiant in DS9 was also an NX class ship, meaning it's not an official ship. It's a proto type. The NX-01 was a Starfleet vessal, not a Federation Starship. The N.C.C. 1701 is still the first ship named Enterprise in the United Federation of Planets

3. People say Enterprise breaks continuity because of their being new species in Enterprise. The Denubulans and the Suliban and the Xindi just to name a few of the major ones. But in what way does this break continuity? We saw alot of species in TOS that we never saw or heard from again, and this is also true in TNG and DS9. Obviously due to the nature of Voyager we saw certain species that never came back, which is why I'm not including it.

4. Now on the matter about the Xindi. Why were they never mentioned again? I feel this can easily be explained as historical records were most likely, lost, damaged, or altared because of the temporal cold war, or even changed by Section 31. Captain Archer and his crew are not fameous in the other series, because they were not part of the federation. They were from a very different time period. Plus, important or not, how much emphasis do we put on events that happened 200 years ago? Or 300 years ago? Do you even know what was specifically happening 300 years ago? Yes I'm sure some history buffs probably know all about it, however your average run of the mill person, doesn't know and they don't care. It was 300 years ago! What difference does it make now? So why does Archer need to be mentioned in other Star Trek series.

And in a way they are part of TNG because of These Are The Voyages. And yes I realize 99.9% of fans say that's the worst episode in all of Star Trek. I'm in the 0.01% who actually loves it. I love Riker and Troi and I love that they got to come into Enterprise for that episode, because I also love The Pegasus episode.

5. Enterprise even clears up some issues in the Star Trek franchise in Season 4. Such as the Klingons changing, and also goes into more deeper details about the Vulcans and the Romulans and the Genectically Enhanced.

The bottom line, there is no good reason to hate Enterprise, other than the fact that fans aren't happy unless they're whining and complaining about something.

Enterprise could have been handled very badly, but it was done right. And I won't say it's 100% perfect, because nothing is, but it's pretty close.

If you didn't care for the cast or the stories that's one thing, and there's some people who didn't but still supported it because of their love for Star Trek. And I don't mind when people say they didn't like Enterprise in a tasteful way. But most of the time it's just rude obnoxious aggression towards it, made mostly by TOS fans that are pissed because someone came before Kirk. Get over it!

Enterprise was still a good series, and a good addition to the Star Trek franchise. It brought a little more completion to it. I only wish Enterprise had gotten some completion itself with a 7th season.

Mitchz95

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 8:38 pm

Quote: Sora @ Feb. 09 2012, 6:01 pm

>The Defiant in DS9 was also an NX class ship, meaning it's not an official ship. It's a proto type.

I hate to nitpick such a good argument, but the Defiant was actually a Defiant-class ship. It did have an NX registry (which does mean "experimental") but NX-class was the specific type of ship that NX-01 was.

I agree in regards to most of the rest. However, a lot of the critisism against Enterprise stems from the acting and the story quality in seasons 1-2. I disagree with both, but many don't.

And I loved how they explained the reason for the Klingon ridges disappearing for TOS.

GulMatan

Report this Feb. 10 2012, 2:07 pm

I'm glad for this thread.  It puts my mind at rest as to how full-circle ENT prefaces, explains and establishes the Trek canon I take for granted.  I am also very pleased with the clarification as to why ENT events/personnel/species are never mentioned in the succeeding four series--this post validates well why there is no mention of anything ENT (especially during TOS).  Besides, the 'history buff' comment validates the behaviour that even in 21st century reality, the general public doesn't even mention the events from 200+ years ago, UNLESS it's MAJOR (i.e. Gettysburg Address, Polio Vaccine, SanFran Quake, etc.).

Great post and great thread!

WOW! My 1,100th post!

Trekkie -- I am not a Trekker!

flottanna

Report this Feb. 10 2012, 4:39 pm

I love ENT and I never found continuity problems with it

"Please Watch Our Films" Youtube.com

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this Feb. 10 2012, 5:02 pm

Quote: Sora @ Feb. 09 2012, 6:01 pm

class="button"> The reasons why Enterprise is fantastic, and does NOT break continuity

................any more then the other series did

I loved Enterprise, and I dont ssee many major continuituy breaks, but I wont delude myself and say there arent any at all.But that kind of thing can be found in the other spinoffs

Photobucket

Reedworftripparis

Report this Feb. 11 2012, 8:12 am

Quote: stovokor2000-A @ Feb. 10 2012, 5:02 pm

Quote: Sora @ Feb. 09 2012, 6:01 pm

................any more then the other series did

Agreed! Each series had their mistakes but it seems ENT gets picked on the most. I take it at face value, considering each series was written over a long time span, by different writers and some things could not have been written into TNG about ENT just because they weren't on at the same time. I just enjoy and have fun and if there are mistakes, I just say oh well. Still my favorite sci fi franchise and ENT being my favorite

"Reed Alert, that's not bad"...Malcolm Reed

Sora

Report this Feb. 12 2012, 11:24 pm

I'm glad everyone has appreciated this thread. Honestly I thought I'd be met with alot of resistance. I see so many people who hate on Enterprise, and I just really feel that it isn't fair. Enterprise does get picked on the most. Voyager gets picked on alot as well. I've just gotten tired of the TOS and TNG are the only good series threads and the rest suck. DS9 you have some people who really love it and you have some who really hate it.

But Voyager and Enterprise take so much hate. And I've branched out and tried watching some other sci fi series, and I have to say, if anything watching other sci fi has only made me appreciate all of the Star Trek series more. Because I realize I've been spoiled by Star Trek. Because Star Trek is so good, that it really can't be topped.

I'm glad to know that there are some other fans here that do appreciate Enterprise.

Kesfan74656

Report this Feb. 13 2012, 5:06 pm

I'm totally with you, Sora, on loving STE. I never had major issues, for example, with the appearance of the Borg in ''Regeneration''; I enjoyed it, even though i'm not as much a Borg person as many fans, or The Ferengi, whose origins were not revealed. And, via ''Regeneration'', and, before it, ''The Raven'' over on Voyager, we've seen that Jean-Luc and co. were indeed not the first to make contact with the Collective. Sometimes, folks, history gets revised. When I was a kid, I don't recall being taught, that the Vikings may very well have been the first to discover America. So, ease up, gang, on Ent continuity..even if it's 'on the edge'. I also agree, and bemoan, the frequent 'hating' on this series, and Voyager. Each to his own OP, but, pity-and, at the least, can often be done with a tad more tact...but, then, such sis often the way on the internet, when EVERYBODY can spit out any OP, as they choose, without taking consideration for the other person. But, it's not all like that, of course..and, always, nice to see those who can at least be respectful in their ops, or, even better, love on what are two of my top favorite series. Come on, gang...regardless of what may be some deserved critiques, it was IMO high time we saw what came before Kirk, and the others. Something new, and different, arguability notwithstanding, didn't hurt..just cut off, before it could further bloom..but not in the hearts, of those like me who carry it forward, in mind, and pen/keyboard. LONG LIVE ENTERPRISE. AND Voyager!!

''If I were captain, i'd open every crack in the universe, and peek inside, just like Captain Janeway does''-Kes, ''The Cloud''

guillermo.mejía

Report this Feb. 14 2012, 4:46 am

I never once believed the show broke continuity. In fact I can't remember one single time when they show can even be accused of doing so. I mean, okay...Florida blew up and Earth had a huge scare with the Xindi. We had a Gulf War in the 90's and we don't talk about it everyday.

I do lament some weak decisions by the creators, such as having the Ferengi guest star in an episode or suddenly dropping the Tandaran story without a second thought, but those are nitpicks overall.

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this Feb. 14 2012, 9:27 am

Quote: guillermo.mejía @ Feb. 14 2012, 4:46 am

>I never once believed the show broke continuity. In fact I can't remember one single time when they show can even be accused of doing so.

In reality, there are quite a few MINOR examples of continuity breaks.The only one I would conswider MAJOR would be Romulan ships with cloaking devises.

Photobucket

flottanna

Report this Feb. 14 2012, 10:09 am

every series has continuity breaks. After watching TNG DS9 and VRG with what they established. Watching TOS is always confusing haha

"Please Watch Our Films" Youtube.com

Sora

Report this Feb. 14 2012, 8:58 pm

Yeah that's true too because TOS was all over the place because they were still figuring out what Star Trek was themselves.

Live Long and Prosper

guillermo.mejía

Report this Feb. 15 2012, 4:52 am

Quote: stovokor2000-A @ Feb. 14 2012, 9:27 am

Quote: guillermo.mejía @ Feb. 14 2012, 4:46 am

True. The way Spock talks about the claoking device in balance of terror makes it seem as though Starfleet had never seen one.

Thinking deeper about the show, I also don't like how they portray the Organians. Not really compatible with the group we see in TOS.

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this Feb. 15 2012, 4:00 pm

Quote: guillermo.mejía @ Feb. 15 2012, 4:52 am

Quote: stovokor2000-A @ Feb. 14 2012, 9:27 am

Quote: guillermo.mejía @ Feb. 14 2012, 4:46 am

agree on both points.

thou, I can accept that maybe starfleet encountered cloaking tech from other races, its at least clear that Kirk and crew cwere unaware that the romulans didnt have the ability to cloak a ship untill the TOS era.

But Archers people did indeed see 2 romulan ships with cloaking tech

Photobucket

Reedworftripparis

Report this Feb. 15 2012, 4:04 pm

Quote: stovokor2000-A @ Feb. 15 2012, 4:00 pm

Quote: guillermo.mejía @ Feb. 15 2012, 4:52 am

Quote: stovokor2000-A @ Feb. 14 2012, 9:27 am

Quote: guillermo.mejía @ Feb. 14 2012, 4:46 am

agree on both points.

But Archers people did indeed see 2 romulan ships with cloaking tech

And don't forget the cloaked Romulan mines.

"Reed Alert, that's not bad"...Malcolm Reed