Trekkies, I need your advice

RoTrekkie

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 10:25 am

Well, what say you? A devoted ST fanatic told me it's the worst film of the lot mainly because the villain's reasoning made no sense. Others said that it was okay, others that it was fresh and welcome, the general consensus was that whilst it wasn't exactly what Mr Roddenberry originally wanted, it wasn't an abomination. What should I do, watch it or not? What's your general view of ST 2009?

EDIT: Problem solved. Thank you all for your input. Pike, out.

"Now you're beginning to talk like a doctor, bartender."

Treknoir

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 12:18 pm

wissa

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 12:35 pm

of course you should watch it.  Why wouldn't you?  are you gonna die or something if you see trek you don't like?

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

RoTrekkie

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 1:07 pm

Noir don't be rude, please. I don't want to spoil two hours watching a bad film even as a trekkie. or do you prefer the terms trainwreck and Trekker?

"Now you're beginning to talk like a doctor, bartender."

Fleet Admiral Braxton

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 1:31 pm

The Only One That Qualifies As The " Worst Of The Lot " Is ST5 Because Of A Lot Of Things That Fell Apart At The Last Minute, And Shatner And Bennett Had To Improvise, And It Clearly Showed. Let's Not Examine The Rest With A Lot Of Unesseccary Nitpicking.

Treknoir

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 2:10 pm

An adult, or at the very least a child old enough to have unfettered access to the net, asking a bunch of strangers if he or she should watch a film is beyond ridiculous. If you want our opinions on such a trivial matter I can only assume you may need assistance with more important personal decisions.

I loved the film, though it had flaws like all ST films, and don't really care that it's different.

Now, I want you to wash your hands after using the bathroom and brush your teeth after meals.

RoTrekkie

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 2:59 pm

Assistance? Man, I asked a question to fellow fans, if you think it's ridiculous, fine... maybe I shouldn't have asked this for myself, maybe just "What was your opinion on ST 2009", eh? I'm just 18 but you're not talking to a preschooler.

"Now you're beginning to talk like a doctor, bartender."

dangerman113

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 3:50 pm

IMO the 2009 Star Trek has a lot of elements of contemporary action films.  At times it does have the feel of TOS and most of the cast does a decent job reviving their roles and characters.  So, if you like today's Hollywood action/adventure genre you might like it.  Remember, it's JJ Abrams so that they help you figure out if its something that you'll like too.  In my personal rating, it's probably my least favorite but still enjoyable.  Actually, I'd recommend watching it with a non-trekkie fan as it might make them a fan.  It does have broader, more mainstream appeal than most trek films.  So, if you do it this way if/when you don't like it, you might get the satisfaction of sharing trek.

Ghostmojo

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 4:12 pm

Quote: Treknoir @ Feb. 09 2012, 12:18 pm

>Would you also like our input on what you should wear or whether or not you should bathe today?

I thought it! You said it!

To treat the post with all the considered seriousness it merits I would say:

Don't watch it - then come here and tell us how you enjoyed not watching it - how it compared with not watching other things - what aspects of not watching it worked for you, and which aspects didn't - how you think perhaps continuing with this approach and not watching the forthcoming sequel will compare - and so on ...

to boldy go where no man has gone before

megan512

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 4:17 pm

Yeah, you should see it. It's not the best movie ever, but it is fun. I enjoyed it, at least. So yeah, give it a shot and then come back and tell us if you liked it or not.

RoTrekkie

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 4:24 pm

Not watching sounds better...but I will be back, I promise.

So a trekkie can't even ask for advice anymore...

Vger23

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 4:33 pm

Why would you not want to watch it? I don't even get that. If you like Star Trek, and this is a Star Trek movie...see it yourself and form your own opinion. It might suck, it might be mediocre, it might be the best movie you've seen in your entire life.

Can't possibly know unless you watch it yourself. Everyone has opinions. All that matters is what YOU think.

Vger23

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 4:35 pm

And...insofar as it "wasn't what Mr. Roddenberry would have wanted," respectfully....who gives a rat's @$$. Gene has been gone for 20 years, and there's PLENTY of great Star Trek that would fall into that category (let's not forget that he fought tooth-and-nail over Star Trek II).

Again, doesn't matter what anyone, including "Mr. Roddenberry" thinks. All that matters is your own unbiased opinion.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 4:40 pm

Well when it comes down to it you should watch anything for yourself to form your own opinion. For instance, I never take the word of film critics, ever. If you don't like it then you will know, never go on anyone else's opinion.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

RoTrekkie

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 5:23 pm

Alright guys, I'll watch it and come by here as soon as I can.