FAN CANNON SUGGESTION'S

barnsey369

Report this Jan. 28 2012, 10:45 pm

im new to these boards and have spent the past few days reading posts, what ive seen is a lot of arguing and hate so i thought why not come together as fans and come up with a cannon ourselves suggest episodes to ignore or parts to ignore or even characters and tech to ignore, all in the spirit of keeping/making it right.

i'd suggest to keep arguin to a minimum how bout concentrating on the series you love and pointing out its faults rather than a series you all together hate and feel shouldent exist but its just a suggestion .

i myself am a DS9 fan above all the rest so il concentrate on that more than the rest.

the 1st thing that comes to mind isnt actually that bad but quarks differnt opinions on the value of gold i'd take out the idea that its worthless and have it that its just less valuable than gold pressed latinum after all you need the gold to press it in the 1st place.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Jan. 29 2012, 12:03 pm

You know this post is more than likely gonna start an argument anyway. I've always believed you should take what you want from the shows, even the books but I don't necessarily think you have to leave anything out either. Trek is full of contradictions and episodes that are less than stellar, but you have to take the sweet with the sour. I've said before you can't please everyone all of the time.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

barnsey369

Report this Jan. 29 2012, 3:11 pm

i know you cant thats my point thats why i was curious to know what people think should be ignored and such

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Jan. 30 2012, 1:17 am

I get that I just personally don't ignore anything even the episodes I'm not too fond of, the good and the bad is what makes it entertaining. At the same time a few things in the books I take as cannon because they add to my enjoyment as a whole. I'm sure it sounds contradictory or at the very least a non answer but its what I think.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 30 2012, 3:23 am

I don't think you should remove anything at all.

Personally, I was largely disinterested in DS9, mostly hated Voyager, although curious - pretty much disappointed in Enterprise, and felt fairly let down by JJA's effort ...

But - all of these things have transpired. I think they should have stopped after TNG (and even some TNG movies were bad) but that is just my opinion. All of the later things have their devotees who would totally disagree.

But how could you remove it? Best just ignore the stuff you don't like ...

guillermo.mejía

Report this Jan. 30 2012, 6:54 am

Canon is too difficult a thing to reconciliate without an authotitative voice to guide the discussion. If not fans end up devided between those who believe nothing should be eliminated, and those who try to be selective with anything that might contradict itself.

When it comes down to it, what you hold as canon is somewhat personal for all of us; it can get really specific and lead to some arguments. For example I don't think the Earth/Kzin Wars should be canon, or the Bonaventure class in TAS. I think STV is still canon, but it's missing some explanation on how the Enterprise-A and the Klingon ship both reach the Galactic Barrier so fast, and crossed it when it was said no one could (it was crossed on four ocasions in the movie).

Bikeman470

Report this Jan. 30 2012, 9:46 am

I think Shatner's hair should be removed from cannon.

___Lucifer___

Report this Jan. 30 2012, 3:20 pm

I would like to see ENT episode Dear Doctor removed from canon as well as the TNG episode Code of Honor.

miklamar

Report this Jan. 30 2012, 3:36 pm

I agree with Ghostmojo.  How can you choose what "canon" items should be removed and which could stay?  There are shows I didn't especially like, for one reason or another--often, just a matter of personal taste--but once it has been established as canon, you just have to accept it and learn to live with it.

guillermo.mejía

Report this Jan. 31 2012, 6:24 am

Why The Congenitor? I find it to be an important episode, as it shows just how green and ignorant humans are when they first go out exploring. I didn't think they'd dare end the episode with a death, but they did, and I'm glad, because having Trip, or anyone go around impossing values on another culture, to the point that he undermines and ignores the other culture completely is just wrong.

guillermo.mejía

Report this Jan. 31 2012, 9:59 am

Well of course demeaning a portion of your own race i wrong, but I appreciate that the episode deals witht he fact that:

- You can't change the basic beliefs of a race in one day and assume it'll work itself out, like Kirk used to do when he liberated people from machine overlords.

- Who are we humans to antagonize other races in the galaxy? We get rid of wars and famine in under 3 generations and suddenly we have the right to tell other races how to live?

I didn't really care much for Trip's character till this episode. I saw what he was doing and early on knew this was goign to backfire on him. Better than 'Dear Docotr' this episode explains just how badly things would go without a Prime Directive and first contact procedures. When Trip got some humility smacked down on him by Archer, I finally was able to begin liking Trip.

Plus, is killing people at a wedding OK? I don't think so, but Vulcans do, and the Federation doesn't seem to prohibit it. It's not about letting things slide; it's about respecting other cultures different from yourself. You can preach better ways, but you can't force them.

Okay, counter-rant over.

Bikeman470

Report this Jan. 31 2012, 12:01 pm

I think we can all agree the 2009 movie should be removed from cannon right? And the TNG episode Darmok. Not for any other reason than it was horrible and never ending. "When the walls fell ...when the walls fell"

___Lucifer___

Report this Jan. 31 2012, 12:32 pm

Actually Darmok was one of my favorite episodes...except I would have had Picard kill the beast before they beamed him away.

No '09 Trek?? But I love that movie!

Bikeman470

Report this Jan. 31 2012, 12:55 pm

Quote: ___Lucifer___ @ Jan. 31 2012, 12:32 pm

No '09 Trek?? But I love that movie!

There are two ways to look at the 2009 movie. You either dismiss everything that happened into an alternate timeline leaving the original timeline intact or you accept it and it pretty much erases or changes 40 years worth episodes that we all love. I choose to un-Cannon it in my mind and completely ignore it. You know kind of like Highlander 2: The Quickening. Just pretend it isn't there.

___Lucifer___

Report this Jan. 31 2012, 1:09 pm

They specifically state in Trek 09 that they are in an alternate timeline. Furthermore, the fact that Spock (prime) remembers events from the original universe proves that it still exists.

Oh jesus, that WAS terrible. I even think that the official canon does not acknowledge H2:TQ as anything but apocrphal...besides, events in subsequent movies and TV seriously contradict that film.