JJ Abrams the Savior of Trek or Harbinger of Doom to Trekkies? Or simply a matter of perspective?

picard_2305

Report this Jan. 17 2012, 1:51 am

Hi there.

Was wondering do people here see JJ Abrams as a saviour of Trek or the Harbinger of Doom, who saved Trek by stripping it away from what makes it Trek to appeal to t he mainstream?

Question is do fans like or hate the Abrams take?

Who am I to argue with the captain of the Enterprise?

Hugues

Report this Jan. 17 2012, 4:44 am

JJ made Star Trek popular again. I did like the movie, just did not like what they did do to younger Spock, being emotional and having a love affair. Does JJ knows about Pon Farr, or did he just dismiss it?

DS9 RULES!!!!!

RomulanValdore

Report this Jan. 17 2012, 8:55 am

Abrams Trek may be the only way to ever get another tv series so i am all for it.

Voyager677

Report this Jan. 17 2012, 9:08 am

I agree, picard_2305.  I thought the movie was good, and it's a good thing that Star Trek is popular again.  I have also encountered the mainstream opinion that Trek 2009 is the only good Trek, and that bugs me.  It also bugs me that J.J. Abrams has been quoted on this very website saying things about Star Trek that really prove he doesn't even like it.  He wants to make it into his own Star Wars type space adventure, but what can we do?

megan512

Report this Jan. 17 2012, 2:17 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed Star Trek 2009. I never would have known about Star Trek without it.

I don't think we can decide right now if he's saved the franchise or brought about its destruction. I think after the next movie (and a possible one after that), we'll be able to make a much more informed decision.

I will say this though. Star Trek 2009 got a lot of people interested in Trek. Okay, maybe some of them got interested because there was action and it was flashy, but I know many others who have decided to go back and watch TOS and the other series. They enjoy the moral and intelligent side to Trek.

So I can't give a precise answer to this question, but I like to think that he didn't 'save' Trek, rather made it more accessible to outsiders.

Mitchz95

Report this Jan. 17 2012, 4:13 pm

Quote: picard_2305 @ Jan. 17 2012, 1:51 am

>I have considered Abrams as overrated and sometimes being totally unoriginal but I will admit he made a good Trek film. Yes he made changes to Trek that as a fan I was not happy with but he did make it popular again.

>However, it seems his Trek is viewed in the mainstream as the only good Trek and I think this is unfair to Trek's past which the film should be a part of, not eclipsing.

>Anyway I accept the new movie as new canon and a separate entity. I look forward to Star Trek XII, even though I miss my era of Trek.

Wow, my thoughts exactly.

CaptainBobApril

Report this Jan. 17 2012, 4:15 pm

The old timeline is only as dead as whoever is in charge says it is.  When JJ is gone, and he will be before too long, depending on if the next movie is a success and he gets a green light on a third; either way, he won't stick around for a fouth, and I doubt many of the cast would be willing to hang on that long anyway.

Photobucket

CaptainBobApril

Report this Jan. 17 2012, 4:29 pm

Photobucket

OtakuJo

Report this Jan. 17 2012, 7:29 pm

I neither love him nor hate him.

I merely think that he made a movie that is different to traditional Star Trek.

That having been said, I still like the TV shows and some previous movies better.

But I don't think his movie was terrible and I will certainly be going to see what happens with the next one.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

USS BLACKSUN

Report this Jan. 17 2012, 8:45 pm

I don't hate Abrams. However, he did not save S.T. Star Trek has always been popular. The only reason S.T. 09 did well was because of the loyalty of the S.T fans. There are a few fans out there who would crave ANY new movie with a S.T title. This is what Abrams has done. Using the excuse of alternate reality or reboot concept. This is how the writers are exploiting true S.T. fans. Abrams has done well in other projects, but has failed when it comes to S.T. Voyager677 stated that JJ wants to create his own Star Wars adventure. Go ahead, but don't use Star Trek to do it. Be creative. I can't wait for the new movie. I am hoping he does not disappoint again. There are so many GOOD directions he can go. So what can we do if he fails again? Speak up. Demand a new director, new writers. As loyal Star Trek fans we don't have to accept any new movie just because it has S.T as a title.

CaptainBobApril

Report this Jan. 17 2012, 9:11 pm

Agreed, JJ didn't "save" Star Trek.  If anything, he proved it didn't need "saving" in the first place.

If a hackneyed piece of popcorn fluff can do that well just because it had "Star Trek" in the title, imagine how well a good movie would've done.

WkdYngMan

Report this Jan. 17 2012, 10:05 pm

Quote: CaptainBobApril @ Jan. 17 2012, 4:29 pm

>As far as the level of "hate", let's just say that I now refuse to watch anything with his name attached.  I haven't even bothered with the last couple seasons of Lost.

By the time the last two seasons had rolled around J.J. had not been involved in a long time already, so your reasoning for not watching the last couple of seasons is very ironic.

CaptainBobApril

Report this Jan. 17 2012, 10:12 pm

He'll grow tired of this new toy, too.

WkdYngMan

Report this Jan. 17 2012, 10:14 pm

However, he did not save S.T. Star Trek has always been popular.

So popular that a continuous DOWNWARD trend in ratings and box office performance led to one series being cancelled, and two films being considered flops (Insurrection & Nemesis,) not to mention the underwhelming critical response it started receiving with Voyager and on?

So how do you explain Insurrection & Nemesis?  And the fact that Enterprise was off the radar as far as ratings and was CANCELLED?  Surely you've posted here under another screen name before long enough to realize that?

You just contradicted yourself.  First you say that the film's success is because "Star Trek fans loyalty" and now you said it failed?  Which is it?  (I'll give you a hint, J.J.'s Trek is the highest grossing and one of the highest rated & most acclaimed installments in the franchise.)

WkdYngMan

Report this Jan. 17 2012, 10:17 pm

Quote: CaptainBobApril @ Jan. 17 2012, 10:12 pm

>JJ always loses interest in anything he cranks out.  ABC had to threaten to pull the plug on Alias during the third season to get him to show up for work and straighten things out there.

>He'll grow tired of this new toy, too.

And if he does so be it.  He'll have the same number of films at least as Meyer, Frakes or Nimoy for Directing.  He's producing at least three Trek films, with the second one filming now.

Users browsing this forum: 22123magic