Star Trek as a Animated Series - has its time come again?

Created by: Tidus79001

Tidus79001

Report this Jan. 16 2012, 10:18 pm

I think that the time has come for a new Star Trek animated series. I DO NOT mean taking the old Star Trek: The Animated Series stories/episodes, and re-doing the art. I mean a totally new Star Trek animated with original stories/episodes. I think it could be done the vein of Star Wars: The Clone War (look how awesome that series has been). It is possible to do an animated Star Trek television show correctly & do the name Star Trek just by it at the same time.

We are most likely not going to see another Star Trek series with live action anytime soon. For that reason I think that a new Star Trek animated series would be compelling for CBS to make since the production costs would be significantly lower than the cost of series with live actors/actresses, and real sets.

Please take the time to participate in this discussion & vote in poll that is included here on this thread.

Tidus79001

Report this Jan. 17 2012, 10:13 pm

Come on.  10 views & no votes, or comments other than my own.  No one is going to know who you are if you vote (the voter identity is private).

If anyone is interestted in a new Star Trek animated series they will never do it if no one votes.  Voting lets the powers that be what of interest is on the fans minds.

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 18 2012, 6:39 am

I've long said animated is the way to go.  You can have non-humanoid aliens, no expensive sets, and no high price actors.  Plus, animated stuff is much more respectable now than it was in the 70s.  It is an intelligent platform and respected prime time medium.

And if the shows fails, you've invested less capital.

But as you said, we won't see any series soon because CBS doesn't care about star trek beyond making jokes about it in Big Bang theory.  They got the golden goose in a deal for the farm and are content to keep it locked in a cage.

Tidus79001

Report this Jan. 18 2012, 7:21 am

Hello Matthias Russell thanks for taking the time to contribute to this discussion.  You should really considering voting for your opinion also (there is a poll at the top of this thread.

Anyhow thanks again for taking the time to contribute.

guillermo.mejía

Report this Jan. 18 2012, 9:47 am

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 18 2012, 3:29 pm

I did vote.

24thcenstfan

Report this Jan. 18 2012, 3:51 pm

Most definitely.  I've long thought that a new animated series was a good way to go.  Star Trek is lacking in the animated area and they really need to target the younger crowd especially to grab a new generation of Trekkies.

If done well, it will appeal to an older crowd as well.

Join us @ => KEEP ON TREKKIN'

A Friendly Sci-Fi Community!

Tidus79001

Report this Jan. 18 2012, 10:37 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Jan. 18 2012, 3:29 pm

>I did vote.

>I believe Abrams has said he wants to do a trilogy and move on with his career.  Great point, though.  The franchise needs someone at the head of it with a vision and desire to stick with it.

>Problem is you may end up with someone with a vision a lot of people don't agree with as has happened with Abrams and Dan Stahl in STO.  So first CBS has to want to do something with Trek.  Second, they need to appoint a small comittee to make sure it doesn't become the franchise of one man who goes wherever the hell he personally wants.

Sorry, Matthias Russell I missed that.  My bad.  The format for the messsage boards on this site are not well laid out for readability.  Thanks for taking to time to vote, and to contribute to this discussion.

Tidus79001

Report this Jan. 18 2012, 10:38 pm

Quote: guillermo.mejía @ Jan. 18 2012, 9:47 am

>Just like MR, I've been arguing since I first started posting in the forums that now more than ever there's proof that an animated show can happen and would do well.

>Not only as you said, that Clone Wars is a prime example, and not only as MR said, that it's much less expensive and allows for non-humanoids, but it allows us to use any character in Trek lore. You could have the adventures of Sulu as captain of the Excelsior, or The Romulan War (Clone Wars, Romulan Wars...wink wink) as it SHOULD be done.

>It saddens me that there's no one person in charge of the Trek franchise that can give it a path like Lucas does for Star Wars. Rick Berman, like him or hate him, kept the franchise moving. JJ will do his trhee movies and leave, and then who knows what will happen. CBS certaintly doesn't.

The Romulan Wars would be a great idea for a new Star Trek animated series.  I have read & continue to read the Enterprise Era books which are currently focusing on Romulan Wars.

Perhaps CBS should let Enterprise have its last 3 seasons that it was robbed short of be finished as an animated series.

guillermo.mejía

Report this Jan. 19 2012, 6:22 am

@MR: That sounds like the way I'd do it were I a manager at CBS. Too bad it sounds like too much work for little ol' Star Trek. They simply assume that because Trekkers are so devoted, they'll buy into anything if given nothing else for a couple of years.

@Tidus: Finishing ENT as an animated show is not a bad idea. I do believe Scott Bakula would be game, as Conner Trinner. Not sure about the others, but I guess that's not a huge problem in animation. In fact, it is SUCH a good idea, that it's the reason CBS won't do it.

A few years ago, there was an animated show pitched to CBS by an indenpendent group. The show was called Star Trek: Final Frontier. I won't go into if the show would have been good or bad, but with ST09 suddenly being given a green light, the concept was pretty quickly killed off.

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 20 2012, 6:28 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Jan. 18 2012, 6:39 am

>I've long said animated is the way to go. You can have non-humanoid aliens, no expensive sets, and no high price actors. Plus, animated stuff is much more respectable now than it was in the 70s. It is an intelligent platform and respected prime time medium.

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. I posted a while back about how good CGI is now and how Trek could benefit from this sort of approach. I would go for a Star Trek Phase II version carrying on from ST:TMP

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Tidus79001

Report this Jan. 20 2012, 7:11 am

CloudMinder2

Report this Jan. 20 2012, 7:38 am

"There are always alternatives" Spock

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 20 2012, 9:47 am

Quote: CloudMinder2 @ Jan. 20 2012, 7:38 am

>i've gone for 'maybe' - i'm watching TAS at the moment and really enjoying it - obviously we don't have Jimmy Doohan now, but with all the other original cast around we could see more TAS work, or something else - the Romulan Wars idea sounds interesting

Sadly we don't have De Kelley either (since 1999) and many of the other actors voices are now far deeper than they once were.

to boldy go where no man has gone before

guillermo.mejía

Report this Jan. 23 2012, 7:23 am

Quote: Tidus79001 @ Jan. 20 2012, 7:11 am

>Star Trek: The Animated Series why has it never been shown in syndication?  CBS should take the tStar Trek: The Animated Series, and let the Cartoon Network broadcast it.  That way it gets the exposure it needs to help durm up support, and build the fan base for that can be used to make a new Star Trek animated series.

>Star Trek: The Animated Series was named the 96th best animated series by IGN. They declared that although the series suffered from technical limitations, its format allowed the writers far greater freedom and creativity than was possible in the original live-action series (source; wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Animated_Series#Reception ; http://tv.ign.com/top-100-animated-tv-series/96.html)

I remember Nickelodeon (when it was still called that) running it once. I believe due to a particular anniversary of the franchise, but this was years and years ago.

Users browsing this forum: Starcruiser51, miklamar, DS9TREK