At what point did the Star Trek franchise start to go wrong?

Vger23

Report this Jan. 08 2012, 12:18 pm

1. You're obsessed with hating Star Trek Generations. I'd be surprised if LESS than 75% of your posts weren't on this topic. Seriously, the movie is 17 years old. That means 95% of the nation's non-college students weren't even born when the movie came out.

2. You took this directly from redlettermedia.com's Phantom Menace Review...except it's reversed.

Fail.

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 09 2012, 1:55 pm

Are you saying he is a Rick with a silent P?

Generations wasn't the downfall of Trek. That film, whilst not great - quite simply wasn't that bad. I mean what about Insurrection (the epitome of godawfulness)?

For me it started with DS9 but really hit home with Voyager.

Too many trips to the well. A comment made by Berman himself.

flottanna

Report this Jan. 09 2012, 10:41 pm

Come on. Star Trek is still great. Enterprise was a great series. and even the new movie was good. Now all they need to do is make a new series (Not Based in the new timeline)

And generations was a great movie.

"Please Watch Our Films" Youtube.com

CloudMinder2

Report this Jan. 10 2012, 12:23 pm

The series and movies went downhill with Next Generation, which introduced a more schmaltzy soap-opera style from which all the other series have suffered.

DS9 was an interesting direction, but unless you saw from early on and stuck with it, it wasn't easy to get in to

"There are always alternatives" Spock

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Jan. 10 2012, 4:04 pm

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Reedworftripparis

Report this Jan. 10 2012, 4:18 pm

Quote: OneDamnMinuteAdmiral @ Jan. 10 2012, 4:04 pm

>I don't really think they have gone wrong but they have had a few missteps. Like any other series that has a 45+ year history you can't please everyone all of the time.

Totally agree.  I have said it before about Enterprise, in the Trek universe it is considered a failure. But how many other shows have had a 4 year failure? I loved Enterprise. And though there are movies or aspects of movies and things about the different series I may not like I still love the whole franchise.  Again, OneDamnMinute said it, you can't please everyone all the time.

"Reed Alert, that's not bad"...Malcolm Reed

nebulaZ

Report this Jan. 10 2012, 5:36 pm

When they stopped making TNG movies. I actually liked Nemesis(with the exeption of Datas demise). It's awful that there were only 4. I guess I'll just have to keep watching them over and over.

jangler3

Report this Jan. 11 2012, 4:08 am

Generations was a quick rewrite...no? So for me it was fine for what it was, an ending to TNG. Can't believe nobody said when Gene Roddenberry passed. Is it that obvious?? Then Berman trying to rewrite ST history with Enterprise....so sad I pretend like it never happened. So now he has gotten lucky getting Abrams involved and saving his ass with good casting and a decent story to start off the new timeline.

Stormbringer1984

Report this Jan. 13 2012, 6:30 pm

Honestly, a lot of people ask where the franchise went wrong and it usually starts with Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. However, all things that have come since, Star Trek V is not overall a terrible film, it has it's good moments. While I DID NOT care too much for Star trek Generations, half of the film was made with good intentions for the fans, in particular TOS and TNG. The film just left a bad taste in my nouth and the death of the great James T Kirk was very unfitting and disappointing. Next on the frying pan came Star Trek Insurrection, again not a terrible fim. I actually enjoyed it. It did parrellel TNGs episode "Who Watches the Watchers" but it was better in quality than Star Trek Generations. Nemesis got a lot of crap reviews too, not that that suprises me. When I first saw it i was not liking it. After seeing it a second time though it really was not as bad as its reviews made it out to be either even with the "Wrath of Khan" ripoff ending with Spock...er...Data. Now we come to the one I feel best earns the cake for taking the series down the tubes... You guessed it, a lot love it for some reason, JJ Abrams "Star Trek". It destroyed all that the TOS fans loved and that is where I feel the franchise went wrong.

OtakuJo

Report this Jan. 14 2012, 7:21 pm

Simple answer: It hasn't.

Perhaps an occasional bad episode, perhaps an occasional not so stellar movie, all just blips on the landscape really -- but most of what people say is the downfall of Trek is merely a change that they don't happen to like.

For every new idea that comes out, there are always going to be people (especially existing fans) who bemoan it as ruining their beloved franchise. When really you are under no obligation whatever to acknowledge the new film/ series/ episode's existence.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Pooneil

Report this Jan. 15 2012, 8:05 am

I think Roddenberry's death was a turning point, for better or worse. The style of TNG changed, and DS9 and Voyager quickly followed. Star Trek started to become more interested in canon and less in universal themes. TOS and TNG remain the most accessible Trek shows and are the most familiar to the general public, while the later shows all got a bit "geekier". Finally, Enterprise lost its way when it tried to please hardcore fans with gripping two-part episodes about Klingon foreheads.

That said, none of that really means Star Trek ever "went wrong". That's just when its approach changed. Lots of people prefer Voyager, Enterprise, and especially DS9 over the first two series, obviously.

Voyager677

Report this Jan. 15 2012, 7:48 pm

If you ask me, the franchise went sour with Voyager.  It's just my personal opinion, and I know many fans love Voyager and Enterprise.  However, I just think it was too much too soon.  They should have just done the movies and let Deep Space Nine have its time to shine for a few years.  Then, who knows what COULD have happened? After TNG from the mid 90's until the end of Enterprise there were always 2 series and a motion picture by the same team of writers and producers in production at all times, and none of them were as good as they could have been.  Greed killed Star Trek.  It's a very old story actually.

Broadstorm

Report this Jan. 15 2012, 7:54 pm

Quote: OneDamnMinuteAdmiral @ Jan. 10 2012, 4:04 pm

>Like any other series that has a 45+ year history you can't please everyone all of the time.

Agreed!  Just about everything in ST is loved by some & hated by others.

Broadstorm

Report this Jan. 15 2012, 7:59 pm

Quote: Voyager677 @ Jan. 15 2012, 7:48 pm

> After TNG from the mid 90's until the end of Enterprise there were always 2 series and a motion picture by the same team of writers and producers in production at all times

During the 18 year run, there was only a period of 7 years with 2 series running concurrently.  TNG (7), Voy (7) Ent (4) were never on together.  DS9 (7) overlapped TNG & Voy.

Blockman

Report this Jan. 17 2012, 3:44 am

Quote: Broadstorm @ Jan. 15 2012, 7:59 pm

Quote: Voyager677 @ Jan. 15 2012, 7:48 pm

you could say that during INS you could see all 3 crews.

during its run that is.