That Title No Make Sense

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 2:25 pm

Are there any episode titles that don't seem to fit the plot or make no sense to you at all? Maybe you can propose a new title or someone can make sense of it for you.

Beershark

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 4:43 pm

Episode 1, Season 1 TOS

The Man Trap

wtf?

There's actually a hair salon in town by that name!

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 4:49 pm

That's a good one. There was no trap and it could fool women too. Man Eater would be more appreciate.

"Q Who" makes no sense to me.

Beershark

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 4:53 pm

Charlie X never made sense to me either. Why the X? They knew his last name.

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

Beershark

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 4:54 pm

Scorpian from VOY

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 4:58 pm

Scorpion made complete sense. The borg were the scorpion in Chuckles' parable.

the bungalo bill

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 6:52 pm

Doctor Bashir, I Presume?

OtakuJo

Report this Dec. 21 2011, 1:08 am

Quote: the bungalo bill @ Dec. 20 2011, 6:52 pm

>Doctor Bashir, I Presume?

That made sense -- as well as playing off a famous quote, it was relating to a story about identity, and dare I say presumptions. And Julian in this episode revealed that he even assumed his own self-construction from the age of six to have been a fake.

Also a direct quote from the first scene of the episode.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 21 2011, 8:24 am

Pooneil

Report this Dec. 21 2011, 9:07 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Dec. 21 2011, 8:24 am

>Can someone explain "What little girls are made of" to me? Never understood that title.

Sugar and spice and everything nice. Except the girl in the episode was an android, so she was made of wires and processors and...something that rhymes with processors.

"The Undiscovered Country" makes sense in context, except in the original play it was a reference to death, not the future.

"Let He Who Is Without Sin..." is grammatically incorrect. Does that count?

I guess "Cost of Living" never made sense to me. I get it mixed up with "Half a Life" and "The Quality of Life".

Otherwise the only head-scratchers I can think of are all the Latin titles in Voyager, but those would make sense if I looked them up.

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 21 2011, 11:10 am

I guess that makes sense of WLGAMO.  Of course that android was most definitely NOT a little girl.  I guess that was my issue was she a fake woman, not a girl.  And the episode was about synthetic people, not just the one synthetic girl.

I think in the broader sense, Undiscovered Country referrs to the unknown which includes death and the future.  People who fear either are afraid of the unknown.

the bungalo bill

Report this Dec. 22 2011, 7:43 am

^Right after Kirk and Chapel beam down, you can see their reflection in the force field.

vulcan7

Report this Dec. 22 2011, 8:13 pm

Waltz-is a dance,what does it have to do with a star trek episode?.

OtakuJo

Report this Dec. 23 2011, 11:14 pm

Quote: Pooneil @ Dec. 21 2011, 9:07 am

>"Let He Who Is Without Sin..." is grammatically incorrect. Does that count?

It wouldn't count for me because it is part of a (direct) Biblical quote: "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Seems to me one of those examples where correcting the grammar would make less sense than the "incorrect" version -- rather like the classic "A preposition at the end of a sentence is something up with which I will not put."

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

OtakuJo

Report this Dec. 23 2011, 11:16 pm

Quote: vulcan7 @ Dec. 22 2011, 8:13 pm

>Waltz-is a dance,what does it have to do with a star trek episode?.

Could be the intense focus on two people (Sisko and Dukat) perhaps?

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?